Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Sleepers?

Options
  • 04-05-2006 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Whats the easiest way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

chainsaw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Yeah...but would that leave them very rough around the cut piece?

cheers

Daz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Nope, not if it is sharpened & lubricated properly.

If they are old sleepers, i.e used on actual railways, there will be a layer of compacted grime and dust on it. This eats chainsaw blades in no time.
    So a tip is to mark your cut, and then give the outside a good scrub with a wire brush, all round.

Cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Friend of mine told me that his chainsaw would not go through them, can't remember why. A good sharp handsaw will fly through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Think about the cut first. I've seen some cut where the creosote hadn't penetrated right to the centre of the wood leaving a "white" circle in the middle. This can look bad if it's on the wrong end.

Thanks for that Hagar.

Just posting an update lads...

I cut through one of the sleepers last night using an ordinary hand saw ...only took 5mins and the cut was perfect.

It really wasnt as much work as i'd thought.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Darren

Advertisement