Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

• 03-05-2006 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Can i ask a question? IS it true that the difference between Shia and Suni Muslims is just 10 days? And the Shia would read more sentences of the Quaran than the Suni?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Hi Squaddy!

Would you mind ellaborating a little bit on your question please? Are you referring to the 10 days of Ashura?

I think I might be misunderstanding the second part of your question but as for the thing about more sentences in the Quran, there is no difference at all between the Sunni and Shia when it comes to the Quran.

I myself am Sunni but I prefer to just say that we are all Muslims. There are more differences though than the one you mentioned (if I understood the question correctly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

I had this conversation with a Muslim friend but i didnt really understand what he was saying.

What i am trying to ask is the difference between them 10 days meaning Shia and Sunni Muslims celebrate different things on different days? (sorry im not really good with grammar)

Well, Sunni and Shia do celebrate different things on different days. That's true. But the difference between Sunni and Shia has more to do than what is celebrated on different days.

The main difference is that Shia believe that there was and rightly should have been a dispute over who should be the leader of the Muslims after the death of the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him). Abu Bakr (one of the companions of the Prophet) was chosen as the successor but Shia believe that it should have be Ali ibn Abi Talib since he was a blood relative of the Prophet (Ali was the Prophet's cousin).

In the end, Abu Bakr was chosen as the leader and was followed in succession by Omar ibn Al-Khattab, Uthman ibn Affan and then Ali ibn Abi Talib (may God be pleased with them all).

In a nutshell, Sunni believe that the leadership of the Muslim nation shouldn't depend on blood relations but should be done through Shura (getting the opinions of the people) and that nobody after the final messenger of God can ever be perfect. Shia believe that the leading Imams who are descendants of the Prophet (peace be upon him) are infallible and are sent as spirtual and political guides to the people.

It's a regrettable part of Islamic history no doubt.

It should also be noted that there are a lot of lies out there about the disputes that happened making the companions out to be uncivilised and power hungry but their history of their characters both before and after the death of the Prophet (peace be upon him) show them to be otherwise. All four of these companions were told to be of the 10 who were guarenteed to be bound for heaven (the 10 heaven bound) by the Prophet (peace be upon him).

As I said, I prefer to say that we are Muslims since the main defining characteristic of a Muslim is to bear witness that "There is no god but God (himself) and that Mohamed is His messenger"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

Thanks that has cleared it up.

You're totally welcome!! Please be sure to ask about anything else and we shall try our best to answer as best we can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement