Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Car Dealers and the UK

Options
  • 04-05-2006 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Just wondering - how do large car dealers in Ireland generally get cars over from the UK? do they just wait until someone sells them a second hand UK car or do they get someone to do it on a regular basis going back and forth from the UK or do they generally use a big car carrier to bring over a few a go?
    I was thinking of trying to persuade a car dealer in ireland to let me drive over a uk car every couple of weeks and charge them for the process. perhaps a small percentage price of the car. Do you think this is feasible? They would pay for the car, i would pay for the ferry, flights, petrol...is it possible to make a profit from this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I would presume they do it in bulk with a transporter perhaps going to an auction house and picking up a full load most likely purchased by a contact in the UK.

Recently I have noticed UK imports appearing at certain garages in Ireland which are VRT inclusive priced much below the UK prices in garages for the same model and conidtion once VRT is added. Now the only was in my mind this can be possible is if these cars are clocked and or crash repaired. Golfs, Passats and A4's seem to be most popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

They bring them over in bulk usually purchase in bulk from the big 3 ex rental resell companies in the UK . The new scam I see is individual dealers bulk buying about 10-15 or so ex rentals one year old such as all registered in UK in January 2005 . Usually all the same model and make with a small amount of mileage about 8000-13000 for dirt cheap as quality can vary. Then registered them in Ireland with 05 D 80000 or end of year plates etc and sell them at the start of 2006 as nearly new . Most people only look at the reg and think there getting a 2-3 month old car for dirt cheap. There as a heftly margins to be made. Cough 206 especially????

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

^ Are some sold in the garages in Ireland still having the UK Reg plate on them and leave the vrt, reg plate changes etc to the eventual buyer of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

^ Are some sold in the garages in Ireland still having the UK Reg plate on them and leave the vrt, reg plate changes etc to the eventual buyer of the car?

McKevitts in Dundalk do this. But the cars are from the North, and they are based on the Newry Road out of Dundalk so its expected i suppose.

Advertisement