Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing THE MATCH on big screens

Options
  • 04-05-2006 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Just read in the Limerick Post that the Council are hoping to organise big screens in Thomond Park to show the rugby final. If they can't get Thomond park they're thinking of Aurthus Quay Park.
    How cool would that be?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

That would be class. I know the Stables in UL are getting a big screen for their courtyard too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Arthur's Quay is a better place for it though, more central, and considering Munster have a game the following week, less damage to the pitch.

Great idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Would be class alright but il be in Cardiff so wont
    bother me...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I'll be at a nieces communion in Mullingar - hardly the most atmospheric place for a rugby match.
    Don't worry i've already tried every excuse under the sun but my sister in law is wise to what's going on so I haven't been able to get away with it.
    Just thought i'd let you know what the city fathers are hoping to do so that I can live vicariously through your excitement.
    Ricey - gloating is a sin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ricey wrote:
    Would be class alright but il be in Cardiff so wont
    bother me...lol
    same ere man, mite c ya there!! c'mon Munster!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Heard on the news yesterday that they are closing off O Connell street, from Brown Thomas all the way up to the junction at roches street/shannon street to allows for a huge screen to be setup in the middle of the street. How cool is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

bobmeaney wrote:
    How cool is that?

that's booooring! :D

:p

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

OhmyGod! I can't believe i'm going to miss it.:eek:
    I heard other Munster counties giving out that all the focus from the media was on Limerick in relation to the supporters and celebrations but I bet none of them are doing any of that.
    If we win i'm coming home and shag the communion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I have my last exam the Monday, ill be spending the whole weekend studying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Inge Binge wrote:
    that's booooring! :D

:p

IB

:o:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

bobmeaney wrote:
    Heard on the news yesterday that they are closing off O Connell street, from Brown Thomas all the way up to the junction at roches street/shannon street to allows for a huge screen to be setup in the middle of the street. How cool is that?

I'll be the there!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

This is guna kick so much ass! i cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

i heard somewhere that they are hiring the biggest screen in europe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

indeed they are, it was mentioned on 95fm this morning. They will be swinging out of windows at Supermacs and Chicken hut looking for the best view.

I can't wait.
    Hope the weather holds out.

may i repeat, this will kick so much ass! hopefully it will attract media attention. just imagine the party afterwards when(if) we win it!!!!

may i repeat, this will kick so much ass! hopefully it will attract media attention. just imagine the party afterwards when(if) we win it!!!!

It'll attract all the media attention, and then the whingers in cork will whine again!
    I'm sure we've all read this.

http://peoplesrepublicofcork.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=470&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

I'm sorry, but you'd think that a county that gets so much positive media attention, wouldn't begrudge it's neighbour of the only good spotlight that the national media has shined on limerick in decades!

It'll attract all the media attention, and then the whingers in cork will whine again!

http://peoplesrepublicofcork.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=470&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

I'm sorry, but you'd think that a county that gets so much positive media attention, wouldn't begrudge it's neighbour of the only good spotlight that the national media has shined on limerick in decades!

that linky is brokey

I find it somewhat amusing that a website called "peoples republic of cork" would take swipes at Limerick when it was Limerick that actually became an independent communist state and cork didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What you have to recognise is that most Cork people are genuinely insecure about the status of their city, it's typical second city syndrome.

Btw, both Cork and Limerick have suffered from negative media in recent years, in the 1980's Cork's rep wasn't much better than Limerick's.

btw : what for to put the screen on the street? according to the local newspaper the town will be a ghost town again... 60'000 munster tickets are sold for the cardiff match (the stadium takes 72'000 people) and three quarter of them (45'000 !!!) to limerick...

who will watch it then on the big screen? the lonely wifes to catch a glimpse of their guys being in the stadium? how do you ship 45'000 people in time to cardiff??

someone here is exaggerating :D

IB

• Advertisement

i think you have your facts wrong there dude. i remember hearing that munster are only getting about 15000 tickets as tickets for this match have been on sale for the past year and loads of them have been taken up. also loads of them are going to people in high places in the erc or whatever you call it. plus the fact that there will be loads of cork people wanting tickets, limerick people arent the only munster fans. so i seriously doubt that limerick will be a ghost town.

Plus if they have any wit, they'll be advertising and trying to get ppl from all around Munser to come to the spiritual home of rugby!

sorry to give the wrong figures. i was just quoting the "LIMERICK INDEPENDENT" - that free newspaper you get on wednesday... It says in issue 09 form may-10-06 on page one:

"The Millenium Stadium can hold 72000 supporters. It is predicted that over 60000 will be Munster fans, almost three quarters of them from Limerick."

To prove it i have taken a picture with the mobile phone - very blurry but you can read it if you know the original text... :)

3.jpg

IB

What you have to recognise is that most Cork people are genuinely insecure about the status of their city, it's typical second city syndrome.

Btw, both Cork and Limerick have suffered from negative media in recent years, in the 1980's Cork's rep wasn't much better than Limerick's.

Yeah I know, I made the same point myself a few weeks back.
    Stab City, and Stanley City.
    That would be even more of a reason for the Cork media to not do to us, What the national media did to them a decade ago.
    I know that most Cork people don't share these opinions, but the reporter should have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

HI guy's. Can ye tell me the date the Match is on please. I'm now living over here in the USA and I am so sickened I am going to miss all the fun and excitement in the home of Rugby. I am assuming 95fm are going to broadcast it ? I can hopefully get to listen to it. OMG are they really putting up a big screen in O Connell St for it? If anyone is going to watch it there take some picture's, I'd love to see it. My hubby found this site for me today, so I can keep up with all the news from good old Limerick, I'm so thrilled. Enjoy it ye lucky old things, sink a couple of pints of Guinness for me. Cmon Munster!!!!:D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Abbey Lass wrote:
    HI guy's. Can ye tell me the date the Match is on please. I'm now living over here in the USA and I am so sickened I am going to miss all the fun and excitement in the home of Rugby. I am assuming 95fm are going to broadcast it ? I can hopefully get to listen to it. OMG are they really putting up a big screen in O Connell St for it? If anyone is going to watch it there take some picture's, I'd love to see it. My hubby found this site for me today, so I can keep up with all the news from good old Limerick, I'm so thrilled. Enjoy it ye lucky old things, sink a couple of pints of Guinness for me. Cmon Munster!!!!:D

With the amount of people with dvd/hdd recorders etc if you ask around you may be able to get a cousin to send it to you. Can't beat watching it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Its going to be 45M square!!!!

whats the sound system like though??!?!

Abbey Lass wrote:

95fm will have the match on in audio. I won't be able to get clips of the final as it will be on skysports. and I will be going to see the big screen. I hope to get pictures of the crowds and the screen on o connell street.

• Advertisement

95fm will have the match on in audio. I won't be able to get clips of the final as it will be on skysports. and I will be going to see the big screen. I hope to get pictures of the crowds and the screen on o connell street.

I'll be there too (my last gasp plan to get tickets fell through:mad: :mad: :mad: ), so I'll take a few pics and send them in too.
    The match will be online a day or to later anyway.

Advertisement