Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment protection

Options
  • 04-05-2006 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Opinions on Payment protection. A good idea, a scam.I'm tinkering with the idea of a loan and with the PP the total repayment is increased by 4K. I've had it before but never claimed. I wouldn't want to be in the position to have to claim but I have a suspicion that they make it difficult. Has anyone had to make use of it and were there difficulties.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

The Money Programme (bbc2) did a whole show on them a couple of weeks back. Don't know if the transcript would be available, but it would be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Payment protection is worth taking IMO, just in case. The conditions for payment are stringent - you must be made redundant, but it can't be because you decide to quit the job or get yourself fired. For injury, it cannot be one that is your responsibility and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I've only ever taken it out once, because I was at the time working in a company which was on a downhill slide and redundancy was a real prospect (though not a definite prospect!) If you are self-employed or not in permanent employment then its a total waste of time.

As far as I recall it added about 10% to the total cost of the loan (for the record, it was with NIB).

Advertisement