Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Neighbours - New Dog

Options
  • 04-05-2006 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

We have a yorksire terrier less than a year old ... very lively little fellow:) Just got new neighbours and they have a dog .. its lab pup. Our fellow is now going mad...trying to burst out the door every second, and shout his head off at this other dog....

I'm sure it will pass...wont it????:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It may not pass, our dogs ..well one especially has a hatred for a neighbours dog (she hates unspayed female dogs for some reason) and both the neighbours dog and mine would go for each other big time if it wasn't for the fencing, we're kind of an a rota now until we get fencing up that will block her view with when the dogs go out but once they get it into their heads that they don't like a certian dog it can be hard to get them out of it.

Sounds like your fencing might be see through? If so you could block the dogs view by putting up solid fencing, you could try having the dogs introduced on neutral territory and making taking walks with the dogs and their owner to see if they will become pally.

Or try distracting your dog with something else when he goes outside, does your dog get to mix and play with other ones? Also if not already the snip might be in order, not saying it would solve the problem but it may help if he isnt already neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Thanks for the reply Guineapigrescue,

The fence isnt see through in fact half of the boundry is a 6ft high Wall and the other half is 6ft high wooden panels which they cant see through... i'd be in favour of taking the two of them on walks to see if that calms the situation.

As regards the snip, thats on the cards alright... we asked in the vets a couple of month back and were told to bring him back when he was over 10 months...which is now.

He doesnt get to mix with other dogs too often and going mad with excitement when he's around other dogs...we've been talking about getting a buddie for him as i think he loves the company.

Daz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's so weird for a vet to say to wait until he's 10 months old, the standard age is 6 months, except I think for some larger breeds which mature later.

Advertisement