Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

which pda os is better to develop apps for?

• 04-05-2006 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

im buying a pda as an incentive to learn C. would i be better get a windows based one or a PalmOS base one? ive narrowed it down to the palm TX, or the dell axim x50v. windows or palm??think in terms of app portability, and things like that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I would think Java in the form of J2ME is the most universal platform, from mobile phones to PDA's. If I were to develop a PDA app, that's the platform I would choose.

From a usage point of view if I were to get a PDA I would get one with Windows CE as you can run apps you will recognise in an environment you will recognise. Apps for Windows CE are typically written in C# with .NET Compact Framework. The .NET Compact Framework is typically only supported on PDA's and doesn't have anything resembling the footprint of J2ME.

Get a PDA with 802.11x connectivity so you can use it for web browsing and e-mail in hotspots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

thats a tough one because your dealing with a lot of factors, . first of all the cost of developpment tools, if your going to be programming in c i reccomend microsoft embedded visual tools, its free, but for that you need a pocket pc, unfortunatley it doesnt support vga pocket pc's yet so you have to get one with a screen resolution of 320x240 to make everything look right,

if you want you can have my ipaq 5550 for €299, its in good condition and has bluetooth and wifi which help with comms devellopment

Advertisement