Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

feeback on new tune

• 04-05-2006 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

If ya can have a listen to this piece I recorded a couple of days ago and let me know what you think. The software I'm using is very dated and I know the instruments could sound a lot better but anyway, gonna get some new software soon and hopefully get my tunes sounding better.

http://www.iolfree.ie/~cmccauley17/Investigation.mp3

Cheers,

Conor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 asian-monkey

Not bad..

Bass work is good..

What vsti do you use for bass ?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

very good... i like the broken chords for the piano
    do you play all the instruments?
    recording is good quality, and thats judging from my computer!

do you use PC software or an 8track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

The Agogo wrote:
    very good... i like the broken chords for the piano
    do you play all the instruments?
    recording is good quality, and thats judging from my computer!

do you use PC software or an 8track

hi guys thanks for the kind replies.

@The Agogo: Yes played all instruments, reused the patterns on the drums and bass a bit, makes life a little easier ;)

I'm using PC software, evolution audio lite to be exact. What exactly would the advantages of using an 8track be?

@asian-monkey

cheers man, im not sure what u mean by vsti, the type of bass is fretless, one of the standard midi instruments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Abby D Cody

It could do with a strong melody line, but apart from that there's definitely something happening here, albeit a little too quickly. Not much, just a couple of beats too fast, I think.

The bass guitar line goes a little high up its register and starts sounding false, but punches nicely otherwise. Where the drum seems to trip coming out of the slow section there is some nice oompah going on which I'd like to have heard reinforced by a big bass drum or something, though bear in mind my speakers aren't the best and I might be missing a lot of that. Good, jaunty piece though with a kind of a gypsy (in the nicest sense) feel. McCartney got this idea wrong as many times as he got it right. I think you got it right particularly with the fiddle bit.

A couple of things to think about when soliciting people's opinions about your music: Don't listen to anyone who says it's too long. They aren't in your head. Ignore those who complain about two duff notes in a thousand, they have nothing better to do with their lives and are jealous about at least 500 out of the rest. Sneer at those who can't hear with their imaginations, for these are the people who say all synthesisers sound like organs and no drum machine can ever sound as good as a human being. Mock the moron who can tell if a piece is too fast by a couple of beats or a minim or two, for this jerk couldn't keep a beat if his head was super-glued to Big Ben.

Somewhere you might like to visit, where free and frank exchanges of this nature are encouraged, http://www.zoetrope.com/ - visit the music building and see how wide the variety of skills and intentions is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Hey Abby D, thanks a mill for the quality feedback. I'll keep it all in mind. And don't worry, I won't listen to the naysayers! Cheers for the website too i'll make sure and have a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement