Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

make broadnand work at top speed all the time?

• 04-05-2006 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

when i run the broadband speed text i get download speeds of over 200kbps, but when i actually download somehting its between 30 - 80kbps and rarely, it goes higher. is there any "fix" to allow my broadband to be at its fastest speeds allways?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It depends very often on speed somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 gireland

and what you are downloading / using to download... like if you are downloading P2P... you should really use an App that has encryption... as the networks throttle speeds... but once encryption is on, the network doesn't know what you are downloading so they can't throttle it... something like uTorrent or the likes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You know that when you run a speed test it is telling you that your speed is 200 Kilobits per second, but when you download a file firefox is telling you that it's 80 KiloBytes per second...

8 bits in 1 Byte.

So downloading at 80 Kilobytes a second means a 240 Kilobit / second connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

You know that when you run a speed test it is telling you that your speed is 200 Kilobits per second, but when you download a file firefox is telling you that it's 80 KiloBytes per second...

8 bits in 1 Byte.

So downloading at 80 Kilobytes a second means a 240 Kilobit / second connection.
    :D You should do your maths again...

240/80 = 3, not 8
    80 Kilobytes/sec is 640 Kilobit/sec

Anyway, I think thats a load of crap what your saying. I download at 220 Kilobytes and thats what my speed test tells me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Woops.... Sorry about that. Maths aren't my friend lately, been spending an awful lot of time getting ready for exams.

I wasn't implying that you should get different results from speed tests compared to real life usage, I was just making the point that most speed tests will report in bits, whereas browsers will report in Bytes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement