Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in 2nd year history?

Options
  • 04-05-2006 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hey, im in 2nd history (mode 2) and im in a bad way for the exams, havent been to many lecture this semester
    Can anyone tell me what to expect on paper 1, is it the european history paper?
    Any other tips would be great as well, gettin a bit panicky ay this stage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

3rd year History here, but you might want to give a bit more information. Like what are your electives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

In the first semester I did the latin american course, and the 20th century Italy course in the second semester.
    I have a vague idea of where i stand with these, its the core lecture stuff I need some help on.
    Am i right in assuming papers 3 and 4 cover the electives?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

There's a poster opposite the history dept office explainin which courses are examined in which papers. There's one for secnd years and for third years. Also, look at the past papers to try to get an idea of what areas are considered important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Anton17 wrote:
    In the first semester I did the latin american course, and the 20th century Italy course in the second semester.
    I have a vague idea of where i stand with these, its the core lecture stuff I need some help on.
    Am i right in assuming papers 3 and 4 cover the electives?

Eek, don't assume anything when it comes to the numbering of history papers...I know quite a few second years who had nasty surprises last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

what'd ya think of the latin american course? :)

• Advertisement

I thought it was pretty interesting but really tough. Her essays were well hard. I way prefered the Italy course, less intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

8th May- 1st Semester Core Course- Renaissance to Enlightenment (European course)- E O'Flaherty and D. Downey

15th May- 2nd Semester Core Course- Land, Religion & Identity- (Irish course)- A. McCormack and T. Bartlett

16th May- 1st Semester Elective

23rd May- 2nd Semester Elective.

For the 1st Semester core course there with be a Section A and B on the paper. You have to answer one from each and any other question of your choice. Our tutor told us to look at-

- Erasmus - his ideas on Christian humanism- their/his impact on Luther.
    -Impact of Luther's rebellion- on German society and wider Europe.
    -John Calvin and Calvinism
    -Catholic reach of the rebellions- Charles Borremeo, Jesuits, Council of Trent, Art Music and Architecture (impact of the new world on the old).
    -Military and political- Philip II. How he used Catholicism to achieve his vision of how the world should be.
    -Madrid Vienna axis- Cardinal Richlieu's destruction of the axis.
    -Olivares- Spain- imperial overstretch, his failure to keep the nobility on side.
    -30 years war period
    -Scientific revolt- Copernicus to Galileo
    -Emergence to Early Enlightenment
    -Emergence/development of the Westphalia system.

The second paper on the second core course will be in the same format. We were told to look at-

-The Reformation- Why and by whom? Aims? Methods/policies, success/failure?
    -The Counter Reformation under the same above headings
    -Plantations- esp. the Ulster Plantation. Compare different policies and plantations, success/failure, who was responsible for implementation?
    -Surrender and Regrant. What was it? Innovative? Innevitably doomed to failure? Could it have succeeded?
    -Nine years War. Who involved? What military techniques? Main personalities. Outcomes.
    -1640s. 1641 Rebellion- significance of it, massacres.
    -1650s and 1660s - Battle of the Boyne, Jacobite War.

Anthony McCormack gave some exam tips but I don't have them to hand, sorry.
    Tom Bartlett's Land, Religion and Identity core course book is downloadable from the History website.
    Apparently O'Flaherty and Downey are fans of the European core course book. It might be an idea to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thanks for that.^ You're now my current favourite poster.

Thanks a million, that was some post. Just one question what's the european course core text you mentioned?

Did you go to any lectures?! God, you make me feel better about the few I went to. ;)

It's Reformation, Europe's House Divided 1490-1700 by MacCulloch.

• Advertisement

Off topic, apologies, but did you have Tadgh O hAnnrachain elmyra? He's so lovely, had him first time I did third year. He gives lovely exams too! :)

Nope Hermione, I've never even heard of him! Pity, if he gives such easy exams! :( I'm told Eamonn O'Flaherty and Anthony McCormack aren't too bad though. :)

When I had him, I was in a class of eight so he kinda tailored the exams (only to an extent, mind you!) to what we'd written our essay on. But he was also very funny, I loved his lectures so much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Please tell me you arent covering all of those topics elmyra... it'd be downright impossible!

I haven't covered anything tbh! There's a difference between knowing what I'm supposed to cover and having the notes and actually doing it. I imagine I'll do Luther, Erasmus, Calvinism, the 30 years war and something else on Sunday night. Can't get motivated at all!

phew... :)

I'm doing Luther, Humanism + Erasmus, the Jesuits and Richelieu... I think that was all anyway... might throw a bit of Calvin in there too.

Oooh Richlieu, good choice, I hear Deccy Downey has a thing for personalties. I'll do that so.

Good luck n all that jazz! ;)

Yeah and the two past papers have practically the same question of him that I did for an essay... so here's praying he comes up!

Good luck to you too - we need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Wow there was so much info there i almost wish i was doing history.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

If your going to study the Jesuits, have a look over Borromeo. The two seem to come up, asking you to answer a question on one or the other.

• Advertisement

This thread's been a lifesaver. Kinda worrying though, all those topics i know nothing about.
    I think I have Erasmus pretty well covered, now i'm looking at Calvin and Calvinism. The plan is to get four or five (not looking likely) topics covered, will this be enough. Any suggestions on what else i should be looking at?

I've covered Calvin, Erasmus, Richelieu, The Jesuits and some other stuff about the counter reformation.
    I'd have done more today but the issues desk is closed, so I can't get resereved books or into the short loan section.
    How do I stand? I know 2 topics from each section isn't much but i'm having a hard enough time remembering the little I've learned:confused:

your big danger is that a calvin/erasmus/luther question could come up all together, but if you've covered them you definitely have one question for o'flaherty's course. The counter reformation and richelieu are likely enough for downey, i'd say you'll get 3 questions out of that.

I've done Erasmus, Luther, Calvin, Counter Ref, Richlieu and the 30 Years War just to be on the safe side.

Meant to post this last night. I heard from someone in Downey's seminar class that he told them that

-the impact of the Jesuits of the Counter-Ref
    -the council of trent
    -richelieu
    -baroque art
    -the westphalian peace system

are all certs for his section.

But it's not really anything we didnt already know!

:D:D:D:D I've covered all of those, richlieu and westphalia came under my 30 years war stuff. Plus i've covered 3 topics for O'Flaherty so I should definitely get a question out of it. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I should have just about enough covered then. Just hope the stuff sticks in my head, I've done a lot of reading in 24 hours.
    Cheers for the help and best of luck in the morning:)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

and I quote "the classic mystic of the later sixteenth century was St Teresa of Avila. In her autobiography ,she told of her estacy when a most beautiful angel thrust his 'great arrow' into her three times", this studying lark is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

noob gorge ftw(double post idiot).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

beanyb wrote:
    Meant to post this last night. I heard from someone in Downey's seminar class that he told them that

-the impact of the Jesuits of the Counter-Ref
    -the council of trent
    -richelieu
    -baroque art
    -the westphalian peace system

are all certs for his section.

But it's not really anything we didnt already know!

Hey speak for yourself! Good luck to everyone amarach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

I'm gonna fail coz i know nothing...

Advertisement