Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in 2nd year history?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

I think this sums up my feelings on the matter at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Lock S foils in attack position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

that was the softest exam i have ever seen, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I actually did better in this exam than I thought I would and I even stayed until the end. Not bad for a guy who this time yesterday was clueless. Wikipedia gives me a fighting chance again. :)

Thanks to the people on this thread for their tips on what to revise, particularly elmyra and beanyb. That advice proved invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Welcome! I think it went ok too. I did Erasmus, Jesuits and Richelieu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

You're welcome MNG. Ah yeah it was grand. I started off doing the humanist question but about 15 minutes in decided it was crap and did the Luther one instead. Did the Council of Trent and Richelieu in section 2.

I was sitting near enough to you elmyra! beanyb the stalker strikes again!

I did four sections as I had time to spare and I figured it was better to have a contingency plan. :o

I did Erasmus in Section 1 and Richelieu, Council of Trent and the Jesuits in Section 2. My Jesuit answer was only a page and a half long though so I doubt they'll mark that one.

I started to do the council of trent one, went to the toilet, came back and suddenly had a hankering to do the jesuits! Which Richelieu did you do? I did A, the one on revolutionising international relations or whatnot.

I haven't a breeze what you look like so I don't know if I saw you! The only person I was really looking at was our cute invigilator, and I was kinda distracted by the weeping sore on my friend's arm (he was sitting across from me and his plaster fell off....too much information, yeah I thought so!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I like my anonymity :)

I did B, the absolute monarchy one. At first I though it was mean that they split them, but when I'd written just about absolutism it was 6 pages long, so I couldnt have even fit the other bit in if I'd had to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

I did a the absolutist monarchy Richelieu question, think I anwered it ok. I did a scrappy essay on Calvin and Geneva. My Humanism question was a bit of a joke, totally winged it. Still, I was really lucky with the questions that came up. It could have been a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

so whats everyone doing for paper 2?
    I think cromwell, the ulster plantation and the reformation in ireland.
    The Leix-Offaly and Munster plantations are my backup plan:cool:

More importantly, did anyone do the choice course in the second semester with Sue Schultz on Burial Ritual and magic ??!?!?! I'm fooked.

My friend did that course he says he's fooked too!

thats both reassuring and alarming at the same time.

Meh, I'm screwed for Australian. It's one paper, so 19%, you can pass even if you only waffle through it.

Irish history study, what I'm doing, if anyone cares:

The Reformation in Ireland
    The Counter Reformation in Ireland
    Plantations- esp Ulster
    Surrender and Regrant
    Nine Years War
    1640s and 1641 rebellion if I get time.

I think this paper is a lot less predictable so I'm trying to cover more.

Seriously, anyone know anything bout Burial Ritual and Magic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

elmyra wrote:

Anthony McCormack gave some exam tips but I don't have them to hand, sorry.
    Tom Bartlett's Land, Religion and Identity core course book is downloadable from the History website.
    QUOTE]

Where exactly is this on the history website, I can't seem to find it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Exar Khun wrote:
    This thread worries me:(

your telling me :P

Exar Khun wrote:
    yes i was in that class, i am so completely fooked for it that i dont even know where to start. i dont see myself passing at all.

seriously, i dont know what is going on with that course on so many levels - i found her lectures were very confusing and difficult to take in, i just sat there with a blank face nodding half the time. i did talk to her outside of class on more than one occassion but i could make very little sense out of what she was saying. she uses 6 sentences where 6 words would do. she made me feel so retarded:(

are these optional courses where they put the proffs who couldnt get away with teaching the whole year?

• Advertisement

I dont know but you seem to have a far more legitimate excuse than me. Still fooked by the way. Wish I had done the japanese course...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Anton17 wrote:
    elmyra wrote:

Anthony McCormack gave some exam tips but I don't have them to hand, sorry.
    Tom Bartlett's Land, Religion and Identity core course book is downloadable from the History website.
    QUOTE]

Where exactly is this on the history website, I can't seem to find it:confused:

http://www.ucd.ie/historyarchives/courses/TB%20Course%20Outline.doc

There are two history websites. The old one is at ucd.ie/history. The new one is at www.ucd.ie/historyarchives. There's another mess due to restructuring the colleges.

I'm so glad I stuck to the boring, predictable US History 1800-1877 course with Maurice Bric. The guy is the easiest marker ever. He gave me a first for one of my essays which was no where near the kind of quality needed!

GusherING wrote:
    I'm so glad I stuck to the boring, predictable US History 1800-1877 course with Maurice Bric. The guy is the easiest marker ever. He gave me a first for one of my essays which was no where near the kind of quality needed!
    predictable you say? so whats comming up on the exam?????

ferdi wrote:
    predictable you say? so whats comming up on the exam?????

Jeffersonian America, Jacksonian America, Anti-slavery/temperance/womens rights, Reconstruction, Post Civil War America. Its pretty straightforward.

Anyone have any tips on what stuff to cover for Monday's exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Irish history:
    Plantations, reformation and Cromwellian rule.

U.S. History:
    Jackson, Civil War, Reconstruction.

Im doing the minimum amount so fingers crossed:D :D

Yep I'm doing the reformation and plantations. I missed the Cromwell lectures so probably wont do that....I'm thinking nine years war or 1640s.

Decline of the Old-English culminating in the 1641 rebellion, Ulster Plantation and Reformation. Wentworth as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

Exar Khun wrote:

yeah i'm in that class. pm me, the exam isnt till next tuesday.

• Advertisement

Cheers, pm sent.

Advertisement