Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in 2nd year history?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Righty-ho. I've done the Reformation, the Plantations, The Nine Years War and had a quick glance over the 1640s. If they don't come up, I shall be seeing some of you in Blackrock in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

I know the 9 years war, cromwell, and um... thats all. Anyway best of luck today folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

that wasnt too bad, except that i pulled a muscle in my lower back yesterday and i was in agony during the entire exam and still am.

i saw a couple of boardsies leaving early;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Great exam. As always would have been screwed if they'd surprised us, but everything I wanted was there! I wrote so much, I though my hand was going to fall off by the end. It's still kinda hurting!

whats the structureof the elective papers? 3 questions just like the other papers or what?

• Advertisement

10 questions do any three as far as I know, but I think it's generally up to the lecturer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah it's 3 questions. The actual structure though, like as in if you have different sections like we did today, will depend on your lecturer though. They're all different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You can get full marks knowing 30% of the course!!!

full marks for me then, i know about 30% of the course....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Prob should clarify, you can but the chances that you will aren't great:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was happy with today's exam but my head was so sore after it. I wrote so much I thought I would fall asleep.

Now I have an exam tomorrow for Political Vioelnce in Ireland. Anyone else in this course?

It's probably my best hope of doing well as I have an interest in the 1916 Rising, War of Independence anyway so my own general knowledge should come in handy...I hope. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

That was a disaster for me! I got one good essay on the 9 years war, and 2 one page essays on stuff i knew nothing about.
    Is anyone doing the south american course tomorrow, i have a feeling it's gonn be unbelievebly tough. She seems to have really high standards or something. Not looking forward to it at all:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Appologies to anyone I was sitting near today cause I was coughing and sneezing the whole way through, but if I put you off be consoled that you didnt feel half as bad as me.:(

I was well pleased with today's history exam. I wrote 15 pages I think. I got down to the second last page in the booklet. I spent way too long on the first question though and wrote 7 pages. I hope I wrote about relevant stuff.

How did everyone else do?

Only 1 more history exam left at least, thank God. :cool:

Worst paper of my life ever. HappyCrackHead and Seb are testament to this....they heard about what I wrote. Oh the shame.
    Saw lotsa boardsies though :)

I hope my Charles Dogherty likes Waffles........

Exar Khun wrote:
    I hope my Charles Dogherty likes Waffles........

You didn't by any chance ask a girl and guy sitting in the row alongside you if we were doing Vikings? Probably a longshot I don't know how many were in that class but a blonde guy asked and was talking to my mate (the guy) about it before the exam started...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

today... err yesterday at this point, was amusing. i love reading that people have written 15 or so pages because i only ever write about nine... and im pretty confidant that my 9 pages are superior to most other peoples 55.

Unless you have gruelling indepth knowledge assisted by books and what not you really should not be writing that much, or stop double spacing. writing that much leads to waffle, im not saying this to reassure myself, im in Mode 1 history i know how to do this sh*t.

say what needs to be said and move on. dont dilly dally.

oooh how alliteral

Ok. Oh and no i didnt ask your friend anything, I was too 'in the zone' to talk.:p I was talking about waffles cause I didnt know alot in the first place......

P.S. check you pm's happy crackhead.

today... err yesterday at this point, was amusing. i love reading that people have written 15 or so pages because i only ever write about nine... and im pretty confidant that my 9 pages are superior to most other peoples 55.

Unless you have gruelling indepth knowledge assisted by books and what not you really should not be writing that much, or stop double spacing. writing that much leads to waffle, im not saying this to reassure myself, im in Mode 1 history i know how to do this sh*t.

say what needs to be said and move on. dont dilly dally.

oooh how alliteral

I wrote 15 or so pages because I do have indepth knowledge on what I was writing about. I agree it's bad to waffle but if your own general knowledge helps you out then I think you should utilise it and write as much as you possibly can.

I hope you did well anyway. I can see you're not lacking in confidence at least. :)

• Advertisement

Burial ritual and magic ???????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

exar? you're in that class as well. i was gonna meet ferdi in college on monday and discuss that class. bring any materials you have. those primary source hand outs would be good. i'll figure out somewhere to meet on the day. probably in the arts block with coffee and cigarettes for yours truly.

Australian Social History, *cries*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll be doin that :) Nice course?

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'll be doin that :) Nice course?

Em....it's a weird course. I went into it thinkin' 'oh cool, australia' but tbh the course is a bit all over the place. It's great in that she puts all her overheads on blackboard...it's crap in that she never actually gets 'round to talking about the given lecture topic so you've only got bare powerpoints that need to be explained and aren't.

With essays....the topics are very specific and she puts readings on blackboard which is deadleh but then when she marks them she gives you like a 2.2 but tells you there's nothing you could've added and nothing you've done wrong...it's crazy, I did worse essays for my 1st semester course in russian history and was getting 10-15% better.

She is a really nice woman, but a really crazeh lecturer. If you do take the course you're welcome to all my notes and essays. I'd offer you the book but myself and my housemate bought it between us cos we both did the course, and she's lost it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hmmm... What does the course entail exactly (but don't put off studyin to tell me :D)? The colonisation of Oz? Aboriginal history? How Aus developed into what it is today?

Would you recommend it or a different module?
    The alternatives would be (a) Japan, Korea, and China, c.1549-c.1959, or (b) The United States, 1877-1952.

(a) is over 400 years! And I know nothing about Asian history, so that could be a handful... Might be interesting though! It'd be a gamble. Maybe I could read one of the books during the summer, actually!
    (b) overlaps with the US foreign policy course I'd like to take in the first semester, so that could be helpful. It sounds kinda like an economic history of America, though... so, dunno.

Thanks!!!

Damn I was hoping Elmyra did the Irish Literary Revival course.

Any boardsies here doin' that besides myself?

DaveMcG wrote:
    hmmm... What does the course entail exactly (but don't put off studyin to tell me :D)? The colonisation of Oz? Aboriginal history? How Aus developed into what it is today?

The alternatives would be (a) Japan, Korea, and China, c.1549-c.1959, or (b) The United States, 1877-1952.

(a) is over 400 years! And I know nothing about Asian history, so that could be a handful... Might be interesting though! It'd be a gamble. Maybe I could read one of the books during the summer, actually!
    (b) overlaps with the US foreign policy course I'd like to take in the first semester, so that could be helpful. It sounds kinda like an economic history of America, though... so, dunno.

Thanks!!!

Hey Dave our lecture schedule went like this (and this is study, cos I had to look at the lecture schedule to tell you what the course invoved :eek: )...

Colonial foundations x2
    Australia in 1901
    Votes for Women
    White Australia
    WW1 x2 (ww1 introduction, conscription)
    The Depression x2 (Social conditions, politics)
    WW11 x2 (ww2 intro, singapore and kokoda)
    Aboriginal Australians
    The Stolen Generations
    Post war x2 (reconstruction, migration)
    Menzies and the Cold War
    The Whitlam Years
    Movements of the 1960s and 70s
    Bicentenary & Olympics

With regards to Japan and Korea, I know two people who did it and enjoyed it. I had the same lecturer for a core course this year and he is very, very good. I imagine everyone goes in knowing nothing about Asia. I heard the essays were hard but I could definitely recommend the lecturer.

My housemate did that early america course along with US foreign policy. She liked both but did say she found that the early america lecturer set a pretty difficult exam. The reason she took it is because we'd done the american revolution in 1st year and she had some base knowledge, I don't know if that's the same for you though all that Boston Tea Party craic from JC remains relevant.

Whatever you do stay away from a certain spanish aztecs incas type course and a certain burial ritual and magic course- from what I hear that is, I wasn't in either.

2 courses I would really recommend would be Russia with Liudmila Sharipova (I know I've complained about it on here but that's cos of the lack of work I put in, she is a brilliant lecturer and the course really interesting) and France with Hugh Gough. Also be aware that they don't let you take a course by the same lecturer in both semesters. I wanted to do Liudmila's Martin Luther course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

DaveMcG wrote:

Thanks!!!

Keep far far far away from david doyles US history. He would bore anyone to tears, as well as making everything a million times more complicated than it needs to be. Seriously, it is a waste of time.
    Can't comment on the US foreign policy course, i didnt do it.

Maurice Brics US History (1800-1877) is far better than Doyles US history (1870-1950). I did both and Brics was far more interesting and easier to follow. He tells you exactly what you need to know and he sets a very fair exam. If you do any bit of work, he will try his best to give you a good mark.

• Advertisement

Do you mean David Kerr or is it an entirely different course altogether? The one that was on this year was by David Kerr.

Advertisement