Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner Mac software question

• 04-05-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I am having serious fun playing with GarageBand these days - esp since I got my Midi keyboard.

I've been messing around with ripping audio from different sources using Audio Hijack Pro. Now I want to take it to the next level and start to see if there is a way to filter my audio samples to strip out the pieces I don't need and then use those samples in my audio masterpieces ;):))

EG: Is there a way to take a sample of music (,p3, whatever) and strip out the drum beat to get only the bass/guitar/vocal etc ?

Any software on the Mac that can do this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ok here's the rough answer. it is possible but complicated. I think the main way it is done by people nowadays is using phase cancellation. That's where you get say a track and play it simultaneously with the instrumental version except the signals are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. This causes the instruments to cancel each other out and you are left with the vocal.

If you google about how 'mash ups' are done, there should be a few methods explained

Advertisement