Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez confirms interest in chilean winger, Gonzalez

• 04-05-2006 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

RAFAEL Benitez will snub interest from some of Spain's top sides to keep Mark Gonzalez at Liverpool next season.

The Liverpool manager is determined to secure a work permit for the Chilean star, who is currently on loan at Real Sociedad, and make him a vital part of his plans next season. When Gonzalez signed from Albacete last summer Chile weren't in the top 70 of the FIFA rankings, which meant he was unable to obtain a permit to play and was sent to Spain on a season-long loan.

And Benitez has revealed that there are clubs that want to keep the 21-year-old in La Liga next season - but he has no intention to sell. "We have had three or four Spanish clubs asking about him because he is playing really well against good teams over there," said Benitez.

"When I was in Madrid last Monday [picking up an award for coach of year] I had three phone calls from chairmen in Spain wanting to buy him or take him on loan.
    "But my idea is to have him here next season. The quality of the player is not in question.

"We are not thinking about selling Mark Gonzalez at all. When we decided to sign him he was injured, but we knew his quality - he is a left winger with pace and skill and now he is showing everyone that." Benitez has been excited by the attacking prowess Gonzalez has shown at Sociedad, particularly as he has been playing in a struggling side.

He has scored five goals, including one at Real Madrid in a 1-1 draw where he was also named man of the match. Benitez added: "He has scored five goals and the manager of Real Sociedad has been speaking really highly of him. "Real Sociedad were at the bottom of the table when he joined and for him to score five goals for a team like that is not easy. He can play sometimes as a second striker and on the right wing but he is best on the left."

Gonzalez himself is confident of being able to make an impact at Anfield when his loan spell expires. Liverpool will make another application for a work permit this summer, but they will get their man regardless if he acquires a Spanish passport first.

hopefully he will be on show against Ireland in the forthcoming friendly. fingers crossed he gets a passport sorted and is up to the pace of the premiership. he looks small so may need to work on his physique.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Misleading title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

there has been interest in gonzalez. today, benitez confirmed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

To me it read that benitez was interested in signing a new winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

T&#225 wrote: »
    hopefully he will be on show against Ireland in the forthcoming friendly. fingers crossed he gets a passport sorted and is up to the pace of the premiership. he looks small so may need to work on his physique.

I think this physique thing is one of the past. Yes, he needs to be supremely fit and obviously is, but he doesnt need to be vinny jones. I cant think of any players in the premiership would you could call 'well built', except for Rooney, but he is just fat ;)

Rafa really rates this kid and is constantly speaking out in the media about him, even going so far as to ring him on occasion to check up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

again do we not have a liverpool general rumours thread rather than posting a new thread everytime something happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Shouldn't this just be in the Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread?

iregk wrote:
    again do we not have a liverpool general rumours thread rather than posting a new thread everytime something happens.

This is not a rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

that thread is basically used for general banter and news, like this, about liverpool..dont really need a new thread everytime a new (and not even really new) bit of news comes up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

This is not a rumour.
    or a signing

yes it isn't a rumour or a signing. i had contimplated the Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread but i opted against it as i think that thread is too vague. i think that thread is, as said above, more banter now then its title makes it out to be

i wanted to inform pool fans who might not be subscribed to that thread as I tend not to bother reading it as i dont have the time to go through all the pages and tit for tat posts.

if a mod thinks this should be in that thread then, by all means, move it

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    or a signing

A valid point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

T&#225 wrote: »
    that thread is too vague
    and the title for this thread is not one bit vague either!

i don't know what your talking about ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Jaysus Tack, we bought him last year, should be in the General Liverpool thread.

:mad:

Advertisement