Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New OVW Champion

• 04-05-2006 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

You guessed it, CM Punk is the new OVW Champ!
    He defeated Brent "Gunnar Scott" Albright in a strap match last night.
    I couldnt find any proper links to the story but wikipedia have it covered http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Brooks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 I_Need_a_Life

certainly bodes well for punk if hes drafted into the new ECW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

YES! This page took ****in ages to load for some reason, I was literally on the edge of my seat! I was expecting it to happen soon, Albright seems to be on SD full time now and he bet Punk in the final of the tournament for this title

Heyman certainly seems to like Punk anyway. Can't wait til he's on tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

Heyman likes him but Stephanie and Trips arent so mad about him. Apparently HHH holds a grudge because Punk uses the Pepsi Plunge (a top rope Pedigree), and and has publically accused him for stealing other peoples moves.

Without their backing I cant really see him making it in the WWE, which means a switch to the new ECW is on the cards. I think they should let Punk have a few months title reign in OVW while ECW is finding its feet and then bring in some "unknown" straight edge character to fued with....anybody on the ECW roster, surely theyre all on drugs:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

castagnoli wrote:
    ECW is finding its feet and then bring in some "unknown" straight edge character to fued with....anybody on the ECW roster, surely theyre all on drugs:rolleyes:

Bring back Jake the Snake i say.

The old school ECW fans would really be the perfect audience for the straight edge gimmick

• Advertisement

Do you think he will start as a heel or face? Heel I guess. Maybe he will debut during one of Sandmans beer swelling moments, taking him out and then getting booed out of the ring. It definately wont take long for him to win the crowd over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

castagnoli wrote:
    Heyman likes him but Stephanie and Trips arent so mad about him. Apparently HHH holds a grudge because Punk uses the Pepsi Plunge (a top rope Pedigree), and and has publically accused him for stealing other peoples moves. :
    He would do well to stop using that move. Ive yet to see him do it cleanly and it looks very hazardous

Ive only liked the plunge when he does the inversed version that he used to beat Aries for the ROH title. That way the opponent is sitting on the top and Punk gets him from there rather than the other way around, which just looks fake. I dont think he has used it at all in OVW, he's been picking up most of his wins with the Anaconda Vice

I never minded the move. Anything he does is ok with me at this stage! I'd say he'd have to come in as a heel first. Unless he started as a face without the straight edge gimmick. Could give him extra momentum for when he turns heel

Just found this cool pic of the man himself on ovwrestling.com

punkwins.jpg

This one is better though!

punk15cz.jpg

• Advertisement

Haha, I've got a deadly one plastered across my desktop too

Just heard that he's got a match set up for next week (I think it is), defending the title against Ken Kennedy, in his first match back

Sweet! I missed out on most of Kennedy's run last year but from what Ive read he's meant to be great. Smackdown could do with someone who can give a promo, apart from JBL and maybe Booker

You should really watch the edition of Byte This with Kennedy. He had me in bits laughin, the full way through. Brilliant show! Although it won't work on WWE.com at the moment

Is that still available on wwe.com? That wa a good few months ago now. Kennedy and Punk should get some time to start a feud, the promos would be insane!

They still have the archives up. Won't play for me though. Link is http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/webshows/bytethis/200601/11bytethis?section=%2Fcommunity%2Fbytethis%2F if it works for anyone else

Yeah it works grand for me, Ill watch it after the Sopranos :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Theres discussion according to wrestling observer newsletter that Ken Kennedy will be put in the main heel role on the ECW brand.

I think its a good idea although its not like Smackdown are top heavy with heels.

I think SD are ok for heels at the moment with Finlay, JBL, Henry, that big fella and Booker.
    It seems that Heyman is stealing the guys who have IT, both ability and mic skills. If Punk and Kennedy get a program going in ECW they will both get called up to either Raw or SD within 6 months.
    Kennedy would be a huge coup for ECW imo.

castagnoli wrote:
    I think SD are ok for heels at the moment with Finlay, JBL, Henry, that big fella and Booker.

Thats exactly why their not okay for heels! Take a look at that list. Everyone one of the has some major drawback. Some more than others.

Well the crowd dont like any of them, except maybe for Booker. Isn't that exactly what a heel is meant to achieve? IMO JBL is the best heel in the company right now. Obviously the giant guy and Henry are wastes of space and cant have much longer to last with the company, but Orton will be back soon and with the impending return of Batista they have a face to lead the way if you will, meaning Angle can return as a heel when he comes back.
    Also Matt Hardy is stale right now, so a change of direction for him might be just what the doctor ordered.

• Advertisement

None of them are money generators thats the problem. No 1980's Ric Flair on that list.

Mark Henry: Would you buy a ticket or purchase ppvs if he was in the main event?
    Great Khali- Great look. Makes Nathan Jones look like Chris Benoit.
    Finlay- Great wrestler. But not a main event ppv player, never has been. A great mid card heel.
    JBL- Worst drawing champion since Diesal. But he's funny.
    Booker T- Maybe, its hard to get any momentum as a main event guy when you've basically played the clown for 6 months. And comedy never draws. Losing to the Bogeyman at wrestlemania does n't help either.

Angle is in bits. Turning him after he just became face 3 months earlier is way too soon as well.

Advertisement