Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing North of Dublin

Options
  • 04-05-2006 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good fly fishing spot north of Dublin ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

There are a couple of places...
    There is a place called broadmeadow resevoir that is near you actually...
    Lots of good stockies in there..
    also the boyne, but you will need to join the local angling club to be allowed to fish there...if you dont they'll cut your legs off and take all your gear..
    but its worth joining as there are great trout, sea trout and salmon in it!
    hope it helps...
    tight lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Thanks for this. Someone else on a forum recommended the broadmeadow resevoir but I think I need to join the broadmeadow anglers club for that. Do you have any contact details for these guys or any advice on this place specifically ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i have only fished there a couple of times with one of the members (my uncle), youd have to look on golden pages for the number...
    i think if u are beginning youd be better off in rathbeggan or somewhere like that (dunshaughlin road)
    apart from that i dont really know fly fishing that well so i cant really give u much advice

adonis wrote:
    i think if u are beginning youd be better off in rathbeggan or somewhere like that (dunshaughlin road)

This place was already on my list and I will chgeck it out this month. Will also look up the broadmeadow club.

Thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dsmyth

There is also a fishery in maynooth, but it may be a bit far out from swords. If you wanted to try a smaller river before the boyne the rye is ok (leixlip). I read recently that the tolka has been cleaned up and stocked between damastown and finglas so it could be worth a bash. In both cases you would need to get in touch with the clubs, but they are fairly manageable rivers to start out on.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any contact details for the Broadmedow Angling Club ? I've trawled the web and tried the yellow pages to no avail.

Any other tips for fly fishing in nrth dublin, meath, surrounding areas (aside from Rathbeggan, which is on the list)?

Thx !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bzpc26

m_stan wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good fly fishing spot north of Dublin ?

Drogheda and Duleer have a good club. You can fish the boyne (just under the M1 bridge is good for trout and sea trout. I think you can also fish the Dee or Fane.

Why not take the back roads from Swords to Blanchardstown (via Kilshane cross). Head to Rathmeggan on the Navan road, 4-5 miles from Blanchardstown on the right.

bzpc26 wrote:
    Drogheda and Duleer have a good club. You can fish the boyne (just under the M1 bridge is good for trout and sea trout. I think you can also fish the Dee or Fane.

Thanks. Can you give me any specifics on those clubs - like contact details etc ?
    bzpc26 wrote:
    Why not take the back roads from Swords to Blanchardstown (via Kilshane cross). Head to Rathmeggan on the Navan road, 4-5 miles from Blanchardstown on the right.

Do you mean Rathbeggan ? It's on the list.

Advertisement