Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can a Buckled Alloy be dangerous?

Options
  • 04-05-2006 2:19pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

I recently found that my left front side Alloy is buckled which is causing the car to vibrate over a certain speed (originally thought it was the balancing as I recently got new tyres). Anyway, is this something I should get fixed ASAP? Can a buckle lead to other problems?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It depends on how bad the buckle is. However, the fact that the car was vibrating is not a good sign as it must have been fairly bad.
    Whatever way it went could lead to a blow out or something so my thoughts are to get it fixed somewhere reputable - search this forum for places but Dave Mccann in Coolmine springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bringoutthegimp

Well straight away you are at the very least looking at uneven thread wear on your tyres, which as kbannon said could eventually lead to serious problems like a blow out.

I wonder would it also be putting undue stress on the wheel joints etc as well, with constant vibration.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As already mentioned it really depends on how bad the buckle is. A really bad buckle will cause the car to wobble which is very noticable when driving and it will probably damage the tyre. This could eventually result in a blow out at high speed.

A small buckle may still cause a vibration, you could try and move the buckled wheel to the rear of the car where it may not be as noticable when driving.

To be honest I would try and get it repaired if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There would also be the minor matter of Aluminium (alloy) being nowhere near as hard and strong as steel ... especially cast aluminium.

What looks like "just" a buckle from the outside, might actually be hiding a major fault inside the wheel, like a hairline crack where you can't see it.

Another big bump to that wheel (like hitting a pothole) and that wheel could just disintegrate.

Get it changed.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I brought it to Dave McCann and they said there wasn't anything visible wrong with it so it was probably a problem inside so they couldn't fix it. They balanced it as best they could and told me to switch it with one of the rear wheels. I'm going to get a new one from Ford though anyway to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement