Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you seen common newts

Options
  • 04-05-2006 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hello all,

there used to be a place near me that had an abandoned swimming pool which contained commen newts in the spring and summer,we used to go and watch them alot.but now the pool has been refilled and the newts are gone,does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin or Meath that I could go to observe them?
    I am in the blanchardstown area if anyone knows of a place near there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I thought newts were a protected species in this country?
    They may have just been moved, maybe ask the owner of the pool?

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

anybody know of any newt location although they'll be hibernating soon

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Has been years since I saw a common newt. Hope you find somewhere to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

what do they look like??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

L_vulgaris_Scania_Sweden_9805_LB1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

A friend of a friend had a pond that was full of them and she brought a couple into the lab. Don't know where the pond was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I remember in college many years ago (oh ok, 12!) being brought out on a field trip to the Grand Canal in Kildare somewhere - there were a couple of small ponds very close to the canal that had newts. A friend has also found them hibernating under stones beside a pond in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I know of a lake in County Leitrim and a pond in County Antrim that has them. The latter is full of them.

Advertisement