Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with NAT on Netopia 3347

• 04-05-2006 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to access a PC behind a Netopia router. What I would like to do is route all traffic from an external ip address (A.b.c.d) to and internal ip address 192.168.1.1. I have tried a static NAT with no joy. I have enabled a port forwarding for remote desktop control with some success. However I can't open a pinhole for Map Network Drive as I don't know what port it uses. Also once this is working I would like to expand it so that a second IP address w.x.y.z is mapped to 192.168.1.2.

Is this possible with this router or do I need to replace it.

Thanks,

Colm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

It wouldn't be the safest to be opening ports for things like that to the big bad internet... If you did so I wouldn't bet on your pc lasting more than a couple of days without getting owned.

Maybe try running a secure FTP server on a non-standard port instead ? I don't know much about security, theres probably much safer methods such as VPN, but a pretty secure FTP would be safe enough I'd imagine.

To try and keep goign with what you're doing I'd look for DMZ settings or something similar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Thanks Demon- Security is an issue that’s why I wanted to restrict the pinhole to a specific external IP address. Looks like I will need a new router.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You REALLY don't want do do this. Use FTP. Map Network drive needs a bunch of insecure ports to allow MS SMB protocol (MS Client bindings and MS Server bindings).

It can be done with the router you have. But you REALLY don't want to do this with ANY router.

Another solution is to setup a VPN and then you can safely use file sharing in MS sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Thanks watty - Yea am starting to look at VPN - does this router support this? Also as a matter of intrest do you know what ports I need to open to for MS SBM to get this to work.

Thanks,

Colm.

Advertisement