Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda's K20A (i-VTEC) Engine

Options
  • 04-05-2006 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

What a piece of engineering.

If there is any engine heads out there, you must be aware of the mechanics of this engine. Very smart ECU which changes depending on normal driving, accelerating or hard aggressive driving.

iVTEC = VTEC + VTC

And a 1.8L engine that can return 44.1 mpg, thats the same as the new 1.4 twinport Astra.

Incredible.....the power of dreams...got to love the Japs, sure know how to make good engines.

I cant see insurance companies agreeing a reasonable quote for a 1.8l engine pumping out 140bhp. And thats tamed as well. On the Honda site they said that they didnt go for outright power. Cant wait to see the outcome of their modified i-VTEC.

And add a turbo :D Happy Days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Errr... the K20 is the 2 litre K series engine. The 1.8 (in the 06- Civic) is actually a K18.

There are different cam heads but the K20 is in the Accord, CR-V, Stream, Civic Type R (01-05). The cam profiles are different between each giving different power and torque outputs, impressive piece of engineering I had the luck to see one being stripped and rebuilt (from an Accord). The purpose of the varible cam phase was to boost low end torque that the VTECs were notoriously bad at.

Interestingly the 'i' in iVTEC varies according to the engine used. Not all of the then alter the phase between the cams. The K18 for example is a SOHC model not the DOHC the 'i' would suggest. You can find more info here:

http://www.k-series.com/news_details.php?news_id=58

Interesting the 44mpg that's being returned, the D16V1 would return upto 52mpg on a long run with 152NM of torque but alas only 110PS. A side step.

Honda are the king of the I4 engines really makes me wonder why people by Golfs :p

Advertisement