Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General & Club Advice for Relative Beginner

• 04-05-2006 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I’m 25 and want to get into golf after a lay-off of a couple of years due to a back injury, which is not 100% healed, but is strong enough to play no problems.

I used to play a couple of times a year but never took it seriously, though I was always a good pitch & putt player. I had my first ever lesson last week and the pro changed my grip a fair bit, and though I was still doing my usual hooks it felt better when I got used to it. Played my first round in 2 years on Monday and enjoyed hit. Hit at least one very good shot per hole, but generally also hit one bad one per hole too.

I was using my mate’s 9.5 degree driver as I don’t have a driver as I normally don’t use it. Did ok with this club, though often my shots went very low. Also played a 5 wood off the fairway most holes for first time and got on well enough with it. Hit my mates hybrid from one fairway and though I hooked it a fair bit it felt great and went very far.

My clubs are ancient so will be getting a new set, was considering clones but found out my mate who works in addidas can get me Taylor Mades at fantastic staff discounts so might aswell invest in a quality set of those.

I’d be glad to hear any advice on the clubs I’m thinking of buying and also general advice on what I should be doing to improve my game, whats good and bad investments, etc. I’d like to join a club but don’t want to spend over a grand a year as I don’t play that often, is that possible in or around Dublin? I’m 25 male, stocky upper body and with a fast swing, though I don’t seem to swing a full swing – I tend to swing ¾ and use my upper body strength to drive through the ball, which probably amplifies any mistakes?

Here’s my provisional shopping list, after reading many reviews I think replacing fairway woods with hybrids could really help my game. Can’t tell you the prices I’m getting, but theyre great. Will hopefully get to try them all at the demo in Spawell tomorrow:

1. r7 460 or r5 Dual Type N - Driver
    2. Rescue Dual 3 (19 Degree) - Hyrbid
    3. Rescue Dual 4 (22 Degree) - Hybrid
    4.r7 CGB MAX - Irons
    5. Rossa Menza Monza or Rossa Menza Corza - Putter
    6. r7 Cart Bag or r7 Stand Bag

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

My advice is not to go spending mad money on your clubs, first and foremost. Especially when you are only getting into it. If you start playing more, you're swing is likely to change and that might mean the clubs you buy now might not suit you after a while.

For a driver you should check out an R580XD, they are very good value, and not much of a difference from the current R7 and R5 to be honest, if you want to upgrade at a later stage, you can.

There's different types of rescue clubs, theres dual mid and some other kind. The dual mid i have tends to hook if i swing too fast.

Irons, you'll need something that is forgiving at the start, later on you might want something with more control, maybe even a blade. In my opinion going out and spending a heap on irons is madness, especially if you are only starting.

Wedges: Get good wedges, learn how to use them, and learn to like them, the time you spend on them will pay you back each and every time you play..

Putter: Personal choice, spend your time picking it, and practice practice practice!

I'm being general on the clubs a lot i know, but different clubs suit different people. Just don't go out and spend a couple of grand on clubs, and end up playing twice a year (I know some people like that!!)

Get lessons, and if you really want to spend big money, get fitted clubs..

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

nothing wrong with those clubs but maye try branching out from taylormade? I used to be all TM but now am callaway/titleist after many changes over the years. At least give a few different ones a go. I would
    say that driver to 19 rescue is too big a gap, you need a 3 wood in that gap.

I found the TM rescue clubs hook for me, prefer callaways. have the monza putter but would go with the corrza, by all accounts the agsi insert really gives a good roll. allow for the cost of extra weights, the std ones are a bit light.

getting fitted for a full set would be your best bet, there is a place in naas that does it:

Fore Golf Technical Centre,
    Red Lane Driving Range,
    Red Lane, (Opposite Red House Hotel)
    Newhall,
    Naas,
    County Kildare,
    Ireland.
    T: +353 (0)45 430660
    F: +353 (0)45 430661
    2002-2003 European Clubmakers of the Year
    www.golfcustomfitting.com

Advertisement