Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where can I find lightweight alloy wheels?

Options
  • 04-05-2006 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where can I find lightweight alloy wheels?

Alot of alloy wheel are made from metal cast irons which end making the wheel heavy and of an inferior quality, like the ones that came with my car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

www.rotarims.ie may be your best choice here,good selection and fairly priced

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

kluivert wrote:
    Does anyone know where can I find lightweight alloy wheels?

Alot of alloy wheel are made from metal cast irons which end making the wheel heavy and of an inferior quality, like the ones that came with my car.

Be careful lightweight alloys are prone to chipping and breaking if you hit pot holes.

A mate of mine has a beautiful set on an integra and one of them took nasty damage from a pot hole, it was repairable but you can see what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thanks for the replies guys.

Looking for something that will suit my Astra, something silver and 15/16 inch.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

OZ Superleggeras and Superturismos are supposed to be very light and reasonably affordable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Inform your insurer too if you fit them.

• Advertisement

Inform your insurer too if you fit them.

Why??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alloys increase the desirability of the car over standard rims, and therefore increase the theft risk, and therefore your insurance conditions are altered.
    It is unlikely to change the cost of your insurance (much!) though.

kluivert wrote:
    like the ones that came with my car.

I already have alloys that are made from crap so I wanted to replace them with new alloys light weight alloys.

Chromed Wheels are very nice but heavy, defeats the purpose of having an alloy wheel, ok I know chrome wheels are not for performance but you get my drift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

If you want lighter rims for less unsprung mass, then magnesium rims are the way to go. However unless it's a competition car and an expensive one at that, I can't see the point. To my mind over the counter alloy rims seem heavier than light steel ones. I have often meant to weigh them. Don't forget to use aluminium wheel nuts ala Porsche.

Advertisement