Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship Playoffs

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im a little disappointed with Leeds performance last night. The goal should not have been given away, sloppy defending. Preston have an excellent defence, both centre backs are top quality. Leeds had the better chanes though and maybe should have won the game by a goal but it wasnt to be. Its still all to play for and should be a cracking night on Monday.

What the hell happened to Palace?! Shocking result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Kingp35 wrote:
    What the hell happened to Palace?! Shocking result.

i don't quite know, it's a strange tactic by Dowie to go 3-0 down at home in the first leg, let's hope it works out for him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

i don't quite know, it's a strange tactic by Dowie to go 3-0 down at home in the first leg, let's hope it works out for him. :)
    Bouncebackability baby, bouncebackability!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

kensutz wrote:
    Just to sum it up, I want anyone except Palace to go up.

Looks like you're getting your wish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

That was an onslaught from Watford! If ever the old 'game of two halves' cliche was relevant, it's here. They destroyed Palace in the second half. It'll tak some bouncbackability at Vicarage Road! :)
    Being a neutral I always root for the team who finishes 3rd, I think it's a crime that a team who finishes 6th can get promoted ahead of them (but then again I do love watching the playoffs :p ) Statisically it hasn't happened much in the last few years, but may happen this season by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Can i just point out that forever i have maintained Clinton Morrison does not deserve to won a pair of football boots, let alone be paid to wear them.

Watford mashed them and the 3-0 score flattered them more than Palace.

cmon leeds ;p

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

KdjaC wrote:
    Can i just point out that forever i have maintained Clinton Morrison does not deserve to won a pair of football boots, let alone be paid to wear them.

Don't forget if Brum held on to him they would've stayed up according to him. Thank god we didn't sign him in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I only watched the first half but Palace should have scored 1 or 2. My brother (Palace supporter) said they'll rue those missed chances and he was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Preston are a for the promotion. Worth a punt on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Preston are a for the promotion. Worth a punt on them.

Preston did nothing on Friday to suggest that they will beat Leeds but then again Leeds didnt do much either. If you ask me its very even. Preston are not great going forward but have a great defence. Leeds need to get their act together going forward and we can easily win the game in Preston. I just think that Blackwell is realising that the decision to rest 8 players for the last game in Deep Dale might come back to haunt us.

This game can go either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I think Preston wanted to come out of Elland Road with something intact so that they can have a real go at Leeds tomorrow night. It will be interesting if Nugent and Dichio can click together with Nugent being out for a while. I'll still stick with my bet from a few weeks ago that Watford will be the team to go up.

So tonights the big night as Leeds take on Preston at Deep Dale live on Sky Sports one tonight.

Team news HERE

IM really nervous already, supposed to be studying today but cant see that happening. As far as Leeds team is concerned I think Bakke should be dropped. He was pretty poor on Friday and has been on the bench more often than not after coming back from Villa. I dont know why Blackwell suddenly decided to put him in but Douglas has been good all season and deserves his place in the team.

As for the forward line, I was pretty disappointed with Healys comtribution on Friday as well, he just couldnt get himself into the game. Blake would be a better option I feel or even Cresswel considering both Preston Centre halfs are big men and we need strength up there. Either way I think KB will stick with a sort of 4-3-3 formation with Hulse up there on his own with Lewis and then either Blake, Healy or Cresswess playing in advanced positions on the wings.

Leeds are going to have to score if they are to go through so KB has got to get the tactics spot on. Kilgallon and Gregan will need to be on top form as well.

C'MON LEEDS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Kingp35 wrote:
    Leeds are going to have to score if they are to go through so KB has got to get the tactics spot on. Kilgallon and Gregan will need to be on top form as well.

What about 0-0, then penos?

quarryman wrote:
    What about 0-0, then penos?

After the awful penalties against Wigan, I wouldnt be too confident of us winning if it went to a shoot out.

Neither team capable of holding onto the ball thus creating an entertaining end to end game, but only entertaining for me :D

Leeds fans be cacking themselves Preston look good going forward.

kdjac

• Advertisement

My nerves are shot and its only half time. Its a very scrappy game and neither team can keep posession. Im not sure about Blackwells tactics because its inviting Preston on but to be fair to Leeds we have defended very well in the first half with the only chance being a header from Dichio which Sullivan had well covered.

The problem for me is Hulse is up top totally on his own agaist two of the biggest and best headerers of the ball in the league. Even if he does win a flick on then there is no one gambling on it and so Preston get the ball. There is no space for anyone out there at the moment and you can sense the tensions all around.

The one thing in Leeds favour is the talent we have on the bench to bring on later in the game. We have Healy, Blake, Cresswell, Bakke and Stone on the bench. Any of those could still do a job in Premiership so surely changs will be made.

Derry and Kilgallon are the best players so far for Leeds. Nugent is looking dangerous for Preston.

Power cut, damn malyasians would have got away with it if it wasnt for those pesky kids.

2nd half tomorrow night ?

kdjac

I wonder is Malaysian Sydicate involved this time?!

This is very annoying and cant be good for the players. Also if the match is abondoned it cant be good for my studying either!

Blackwell

" i asked the lads for a lighter but nobody smokes" ....LOL

Lights coming back on.

kdjac

1-0 Leeds

They were looking like scoring tbh.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

2-0

Crainey off for Leeds, 2nd was a yellow for bad tackel 1st was for kicking the ball away.

Exciting stuff :D

kdjac

should be a interesting finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Leeds v Watford final looks like....2 men out of the final (silly Cresswell!)

Leeds looked comfortable through the whole second half, they deserved to win with that 5 min spell

Should be very good final!

2-0 Game over.

Well done leeds.

Cresswell is not a very bright boy sent off for kicking the ball away, actually 2 players sent off for kicking the ball away.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fair play leeds. Deserved to go through. Wasnt a great match, first half was brutal. 2nd was an imporvement. Fingers crossed Palace will get an early goal tomorrow and make a match of it

Hoping watford get promoted though.

It's the Yorkshire mentaliy, we're a bit thick really :p

Absolutely delighted!! We never looked under too much pressure at all and that 5 minute period saw us through. Well done to Hulse for scoring the first and setting up the second. I thought Gregan and Kilgallon were great tonight. The defence was solid all night and Preston never really troubled. In the end I think we deserved to go through.

The ref was bloddy awful tonight, I think he was trying to book the entire Leeds team although I can have no arguments about either sending off. What the hell was Cresswell doing, he will be missed now.

Thats the only sour note though, im a happy happy man! :D

Derry had a superb game, jus playing his usual role as a shield and linking the play..Preston were below par though in all honesty, not to take away from the fact Leeds are in Cardiff (hate to say that :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Congrats to Leeds and fair play to them, but the last few minutes could of been a lot different Had Mears header stood. From teh camera angle i thought it had stayed in but the linesman had the best view of all so must be given the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement

I thought i was actually out although i was praying the decision was wrong, give me something to moan about!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Jaysus, me nerves! Tonight was bad enough, don't know how I'm going to get through the final. Two stupid sendings off, particularly Cresswell's, werer the only dampener on an otherwise great night. Was impressed with Kilgallon, he looked very solid and Richardson looked lively. The ref was a bit picky, and I seriously can't understand how he booked two Leeds players for their part in the brief melee and no Preston players. At least he shouldn't be around for the final.

So who's heading over to Cardiff. I'm looking up flights right now.

Already had a look at flights last week (just in case!). Unfortunately it's on the day after the Heineken Cup final and all the fares are sky high, assuming you can even get a ticket. To make things worse, Ryanair have just pulled out of Cardiff, so you have to fly to Bristol instead and make your own way to Cardiff. Going by boat didn't seem a much better option unless you're driving as the trains are very irregular on Sundays. Looks like it'll be the pub for me.

I was going to go on a day trip but with all the flights etc booked out I wont be able to come back on the same day. Final is on the 21st and I have one of my final year exams on the 23rd so looks like ill have to give it a miss. Im absolutely gutted I cant go.

Fly to Bristol sunday morning train to Cardiff, hotel in Bristol for sunday night.

All in €145, dont try and drive as Cardiff is a nightmare to get into and Munster there the day before.

Match tickets 2 per season ticket holder £30 to £60, Leeds end roughly 40 real money.

kdjac

jesus,its all kicking off in the watford game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Leeds vs. Watford........saturday week is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

Leeds vs. Watford........saturday week is it?

No Sunday 21st.

Come On Leeds!!!!!

Although, it has to be said that the squad would need a few new faces to be able to hack the Premiership next season if we win. But it sure would be great not to have to get up on Sunday mornings to watch The Championship on ITV. Saturday evening here we go.

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Fly to Bristol sunday morning train to Cardiff, hotel in Bristol for sunday night.

All in €145, dont try and drive as Cardiff is a nightmare to get into and Munster there the day before.

Match tickets 2 per season ticket holder £30 to £60, Leeds end roughly 40 real money.

kdjac

great, i have a season ticket so match tickets shouldn't be difficult.

can't wait!

It's going to cost a lot more than €145.

Aer Lingus
    21/5 Dublin - Bristol €49 but arrives in Bristol at 3pm, which is kick-off
    22/5 Bristol - Dublin €139

Ryanair
    21/5 Dublin - Bristol €74.99 (there is a flight for €39.99 but lands at 2pm, which is cutting it a bit too fine)
    22/5 Bristol - Dublin €139.99 (there are cheaper fares but mean hanging around Bristol all day; €89.99 - depart 7.35pm; €29.99 - depart 10.05pm)

If anyone knows of anything better please let me know.

This is why I want us back in the Premiership :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfhsWTDFF2w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

ah cardiff that well known suburd of manchester (this is a joke don't get riled up man u fans)

Fancy a chorus of marching on kingp35?

blu_sonic wrote:
    Fancy a chorus of marching on kingp35?

Why not :D

marchingontogether2ch.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Good luck Leeds, and thats from a Shef Wed fan so it was very hard to say:D

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:

could be worse, you could be a Sheff Utd fan :)

Big Nelly wrote:

:eek: Whats this I see? Good man Nelly, glad to see you supporting us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kingp35 wrote:
    :eek: Whats this I see? Good man Nelly, glad to see you supporting us!

Knew it would be a shock but I want to see them promoted, sign Miller(who is no good remember:D ) and Douglas so they are playing PL footie

Oh yeah love rubbing in that Miller one:D

Big Nelly wrote:
    Oh yeah love rubbing in that Miller one:D

Yeah you will never let me live that one down but i glad I was wrong! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,510 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

C'mon the Leeds! No better way to enjoy a relaxing day off work than the Championship play-off final:-)

KINGP35: love that little picture of the Preston game. Ah the madness of shouting right then

• Advertisement
Advertisement