Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Manned Speed Traps

Options
  • 04-05-2006 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Guard hiding in a hedge with a Speed Gun.

Does he have to stop you to book you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

depends which type of speed gun he was using, some of them give a print out which means the garda doesnt have to stop you, these are usually on a tri pod.

I was stopped the other week by a garda using the other type, it just showed the speed i was doing thats all, he stopped me so i presume if its this type they have to stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It was on a tripod. There was five cars in a row. I was last in the line, about 2 or 3 seconds after the other cars. He was still looking into it after I passed.

Reckon I was between 60 and 65mph in a 100kmh zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I remember last year there was a big issue about the speed guns not having printouts so couldn't issue penalty points. A cop caught me doing 40 in a 30 but didn't pull me over, yet I never got points. While an uncle of mine was stopped by a cop and he did get penalty points. So I assume the same is still true.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ballooba wrote:
    It was on a tripod. There was five cars in a row. I was last in the line, about 2 or 3 seconds after the other cars. He was still looking into it after I passed.

Reckon I was between 60 and 65mph in a 100kmh zone.

You should be all right then, if any of the cars got caught it would have been the first one but if you were only just over the speed limit i doubt the garda would bother with it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

From what I gather there are two types of manned speed gun - those connected to a computer and those not.
    The former are based in the Louth and Laois areas. These don't need to stop you.
    With the latter a garda has to stop you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement