Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McLaren England Manager

• 04-05-2006 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Just heard an un-confrimed report on the radio that McLaren is the new Manager. Can say im surprised really as i though the was going to be appointed in the first place. i erally hope he's a sucess because i like what he's done with Boro. What about Curbishley to Boro now?

Confirmation should be up on http://home.skysports.com/ soon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Well I am happy for Steve, he is a good man and a good manager to boot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The FA made a total mess of this.

As soon as McClaren messes up (the all do at some stage!) the press will be on his back saying he was second choice and never up to it.

I agree that he is a great manager but being a good manager at club level doesnt make you a good manager at interntaional level.

I just hope the press give him a chance. If they do he'll do a decent job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Steve McClaren was the best they could come up with? Jesus wept. No fear of England winning anything soon so.

I suppose no-one in their right mind would want the job. It's like the kiss of death for any managerial career, not to mention the invasion of privacy by the English media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Ardent wrote:
    I suppose no-one in their right mind would want the job. It's like the kiss of death for any managerial career, not to mention the invasion of privacy by the English media.

bring on mike bassett :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

jimbling wrote:
    bring on mike bassett :D

Oh yeah, classic! Who are these two players in the squad, Benson and Hedges? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I don't think he can do any worse than SGE, it doesn't really matter what he does the press will be on his back from now on.

I don't know why anyone would even touch this job with a bargepole, you're assured of constant tabloid harassment into every asspect of your professional and private life, you're given "could do better" reports when you win and calls for your public disembowelment when you lose. It's a lose lose situation for any manager imo.

Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

I say good luck to him as well,
    its gonna be tough though, the english media have been banging on about getting an english manager for years now but the question is are they now gonna leave him to get on with it or try to prove he s not good enough just to sell newspapers?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Its a bad state of affairs when Ebgland have to stoop to the levels of Steve McClaren. Yes he has done well in cup competitions but with the amount of money he has spent at Middlesborough and to still be struggling at the wrong end of the table is just not good enough. He is an average manager at best and I believe he was given the job mainly because he is already involved with the English set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I will definitely be getting behind him, good luck McClaren!!

I just find it strange that people highlighted Sven's main problem being that he wasn't enough of a motivator of players (is McClaren??)....the best people for that would have been Allardyce or Pearce (although Pearce lacks managerial experience).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If his England form reflects his prem form they are in trouble if on the other hand his cup nouse holds firm he'll be the first England manager since Alf Ramsey to be Knighted!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I thought allardyse was the best man for it foreign or english and it seemed he had a genuine plan take the team forward and the confidence in what he could do. They're missing out i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

At least this endless speculation is over...
    Also, the english press cant be on his back for being a Johnny foreigner.. Then again they are never happy..

Good luck to hm though, Think hes a good progressive manager with some good new ideas.. Think he made a huge difference when he went to United..
    Fair play, he worked up from the bottom too..

At least he won't stick to any formation for the sake of it, Boro were playing 2-3-5 (NOT 5-3-2) at times in Europe this season!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Its a bit unfair to SGE - for McLaren to be appointed before the world cup.

It will be interesting to see if SGE is in 'real' control of the team during the world cup... or if he packs in the job before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Its a bit unfair to SGE - for McLaren to be appointed before the world cup.

It will be interesting to see if SGE is in 'real' control of the team during the world cup... or if he packs in the job before then.

actually, he his contract doesnt start until august 1.

SGE is still manager of england until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Best of luck to him. Boro have been so inconsistent this season but they have a good cup record.
    The way the FA have went about it has been a mess, but I don't think it's the worst appointment. From August 1st he has only a month or so to get ready for the Euro 2008 qualifiers. He already knows the set-up inside out, so it won't take him long to settle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

He knows the setup and the players... i had been expecting him to be named manager for a while now! best of luck to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, i have been thinking about it, and i hope he has success.
    i think its about time the english team got their act together and won something. theyve been threatening for a long time, they certainly have the players, and i hope for once that they do something right.

im going to wish mclaren well. he has done good things with boro, theres no denying that, ok, league performance has suffered, but we see that every year with teams who go into european competition.

i think hes done well. and good luck to him during and after the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

growler wrote:
    I don't know why anyone would even touch this job with a bargepole, you're assured of constant tabloid harassment into every asspect of your professional and private life, you're given "could do better" reports when you win and calls for your public disembowelment when you lose. It's a lose lose situation for any manager imo.
    Same here. The press have after him already about his "affair" even though he was seperated from his wife. It's such a poisoned chalice of a job. But I do wish him the best of luck because he'll most certainly need it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Personally I wouldn't do it myself. It is the ultimate lose lose situation.

On another note I must congratulate the English public. They were up in arms when someone who might actually win things for them was linked all because of nationallity and so they settled for another mediocre run of the mill manager because he is English.

Note to those across the water: Passion is no substitue for class...

iregk wrote:
    On another note I must congratulate the English public. They were up in arms when someone who might actually win things for them was linked all because of nationallity and so they settled for another mediocre run of the mill manager because he is English.

Note to those across the water: Passion is no substitue for class...
    That's not necessarily true. There was a poll on F365 about Scholari and the majority were in favour of him.
    Actually, the majority were in favour of just getting the right man regardless of nationally. It's the press that have a bee in their bonnets about the manager having to be English. The same press that will be lamenting the FA's ineptitiude at securring Scholari as their new mmanager, which is rich considering it was the same press that scared him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I suppose Bazmo your true on all accounts. I know its the media more than the actual people but you know what I mean.

What was down right ridiculous was the sun's (yes its a rag and none of us believe a word in it) but the Get Scolari out campaign before he was even named manager!!!

Rumours on the radio today that McLaren wants Bobby Robson as an advisor, i ve got a bad feeling that he'll go if hes asked and were left in a bit of a bad situation then. How would that affect Stan and the morale of our new setup for Bobby to leave so soon?

john_dub wrote:
    Rumours on the radio today that McLaren wants Bobby Robson as an advisor, i ve got a bad feeling that he'll go if hes asked and were left in a bit of a bad situation then. How would that affect Stan and the morale of our new setup for Bobby to leave so soon?
    Surely BR is contracted to Ireland?

id imagine so but theres ways around contracts, we see it all the time. most likely if it happened england would have to pay compo, they ve got plenty of cash and the fai doesnt(or at least are very scabby) so...

Well if you're gonna use the "C" word....... you might just have a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It was interesting to note, in another England thread here someone posted a link to an opinion page on a football website, and it seemed like a lot of public opinion was in favour of Scolari. There was some interesting reading. It seemed to be just the likes of Howard Wilkonson and all the other English vets that were completely opposed to having a foreign manager.

Exactly they were flying the English Managers Club flag, the public wanted Scolari or Hiddink by a large margin.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Best of a bad, bad bunch really. The FA had no really any good other choice, Allardyce? Curbishly? You're having a laugh. They fooked up with Scolari and I'm afraid McClaren will pay the price. His reputation is based on a couple of flukey UEFA CUP wins.The only reason I can think of is that any manager would want it is because of pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

The English don't know how to treat their manager with dignity. The tabloids, despite their admittance to fabricating stories, have a lot of pulling power.

I don't think it's a job worth taking whilst laws are not in place to prevent defamation by the press.

Advertisement