Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 pc's, 1 hub, and a strange problem

Options
  • 04-05-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I have a 3Com 8-port hub. It is connected to my BB router, and from this (uplink already selected), I am trying to allow 2 pcs to connect to the BB.

Problem is, both PC's can connect, but only the first to make a connection is getting the web traffic - the other (e.g. in Mozilla) just gets an error and cannot connect. Individually they surf fine.

I have tested different cables, patch for crossover etc.

Any clues?

Seanie.

Post.Script. I have successfully got the 2 pc 'talking' to each other via the 'View Workgroup Computers' option in My Networks, so traffic is fine.

But why can I not have the 2 simultaneously use the BB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have you got NAT turned off in the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

NAT? Don't knwo it! The only button is for the uplink selection for port 8.

Sorry for that Sean, NAT (Network Address Translation) is what allows the router (not the hub) to manage multiple computers sharing the same Public IP (aka WAN IP). It is basically a table of which computer asked for what and it does this with no user intervention, post up the model of router/modem you have to help us diag the prob. Also what OS and version.

Thanks Munster. Model of the router is an Airspan Wip-LL (SDA-1)

PC 1 running XP Pro, PC 2 (or laptop) is running XP Home. Need anything else?

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Setup the pc thats working, go into cmd and type ipconfig/all
    go into the tcp/ip settings on the pc thats not working(right click on lan connection and go to properties, then tcp properties), copy all the settings from the cmd output but give the pc an ip address one above the other. try this, worked for me, if the ip doesnt work keep going up by one till you find one that does. hope this helps.
    (if this doesnt work check your settings on the Router firewall, a mate had the exact same problem with eircoms router and dropping security to medium sorted it out straight away. Might actually be quicker to try this first)

• Advertisement

what john_dub said but post up the output on the two computers from the ipconfig /all command

Hi guys,
    sorry for the late reply, I was in Kerry for a few days.

The following 2 jpegs should help in the settings you are asking for. Remember, there is no 'faulty' computer here, just whichever connects through the hub to the net second, does not get the traffic.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Seanie M wrote:
    Hi guys,
    sorry for the late reply, I was in Kerry for a few days.

The following 2 jpegs should help in the settings you are asking for. Remember, there is no 'faulty' computer here, just whichever connects through the hub to the net second, does not get the traffic.

Seanie.

firstly your network cards are on private addresses (i.e windows could not find a dhcp server "gives out ip addresses" so it assumed a private address)..

Im not sure if there is a way to get into the router to configure this, (is it by any chance one of those yolks that sits there going "Searching" then says "connected" with some signal bars ?

Blitz wrote:
    is it by any chance one of those yolks that sits there going "Searching" then says "connected" with some signal bars ?

No, its a straight forward hub, no actual display, apart from the 10M / 100M indicators (by percentage), 1 to 8 channels, Power, and Uplink lights.

Seanie M wrote:
    No, its a straight forward hub, no actual display, apart from the 10M / 100M indicators (by percentage), 1 to 8 channels, Power, and Uplink lights.

The modem/router you have is a strange one its showing up as a commercial Access Point is this correct?

You do not have DHCP enabled as the PCs are both using static IPs and this means the 2nd pc won't get the settings it needs, did you set the IP on the pc that works or does either one work but depands which gets powered on first? BTW get the pic of the one with your public IP off the post above quick just blank out the end of it.

Munster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

What your attempting to do will not work.

The modem you have is not a router (or is in bridged mode) - Can you post the make/model?. Your internet connection works using PPPoE. At the moment you are using your PC's to terminate the PPPoE session - so only one will work at any one time.

What you need to do is get yourself an ethernet router that supports PPPoE and DHCP (tbh they all do these days). Get one with 4 ports on the back and you can get rid of your hub aswell.
    (Internet) -- (ISP) -- [Modem] -- [Router] --- PC1
                                           |--- PC2

There are a few suitable routers here - http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10274

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Snaga's right. I'd recommend a Linksys. Bloody reliable.

Thanks guys for the help and tips! It does look like I'd make my life easier by purchasing a new multiport router. I thought this one would do the job -> btw, it is a 3Com OfficeConnect Dual Speed Hub 8 (can't make out any other 'numbers' that might be relevant).

Seanie.

Advertisement