Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT, such a pain in the a**

Options
  • 04-05-2006 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

right lads,

im considering getting a new motor soon, saw a smashing 320d in blighty for around £5k, high milage, but fully loaded with leather and stuff. think it was a 00model. so i checked out vrt, almost 5grand ,euros.

phfffft!!!

another car which would interest me is the much underestimated honda civic coupe, a non tarted up, maxed powered model. i would be looking for a 2000 ish model, 1.6Vti model. i still miss that 97 sr coupe i sold years ago. !

if vrt wasnt such a killer, life would be so much better..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes the Brits have it great with easy access to cars in this country at one of the cheapest prices in the EU for new cars, they can come over here and buy a brand new car and pay no VRT and no 21% VAT in Ireland on it and simply bring it back to the UK and pay 17.5% VAT on it and £75 for the reg plate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I fully expecting to be flamed for this post but I'll give my opinion anyway.

I believe VRT should be kept. It brought €819 million euro to the exchequer last year.

There is massive investment going into roads at the moment. All these have to paid for. If VRT is abolished, then the money has to be found elsewhere.
    Would you like to see over €800 million slashed from Health, Defence, Education or other important areas?

I realise VRT and motor tax isn't ringfenced for road projects. But I think its better that motorists pay a large sum in taxes(VRT, fuel duty, tax)if in turn the government will be making huge investments in road infrastructure.

Besides, look at all the 06 cars around. It obviously isn't such a huge disincentive for many to buy new cars so why not keep it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the way it's collected is unfair. All motorists that use roads should contribute fairly to their upkeep. not just the people who buy the cars. a fairer system (as discussed ad nauseum) would be a tax on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

the topic of VRT has been done to death at this stage. we all agree its an illegal tax, a tax on a tax, and a right pain in the arse.

the government will continue with it as long as the EU fine for not aboloshing it remains lower than the VRT returned to our states bank acc.

when it is finally abolished, expect higher car related taxes to absorb the losses of no VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

micmclo wrote:
    I fully expecting to be flamed for this post but I'll give my opinion anyway.

I believe VRT should be kept. It brought €819 million euro to the exchequer last year.

There is massive investment going into roads at the moment. All these have to paid for. If VRT is abolished, then the money has to be found elsewhere.
    Would you like to see over €800 million slashed from Health, Defence, Education or other important areas?

I realise VRT and motor tax isn't ringfenced for road projects. But I think its better that motorists pay a large sum in taxes(VRT, fuel duty, tax)if in turn the government will be making huge investments in road infrastructure.

Besides, look at all the 06 cars around. It obviously isn't such a huge disincentive for many to buy new cars so why not keep it?

I'm not getting at you, Micmclo

But its a joke.
    I bought a €33k Ford Mondeo, which I believe should have been around €23,000, inc VAT.

OMSP €33,135
    VRT (30%) €9940.50 without VRT €23194.50
    VAT (21%) €6958.35 without VAT €16236.15

Road Tax €539
    Fuel Tax €0.60c per litre approx

Weres the fairness here, we're being screwed left, right and centre.
    Sooner its gone the better, as the VAT is surely enough.
    Also if the government spent properly it wouldn't have to affect us, but no instead they continue to waste massive amounts of € on crap. Need I go on any further.

• Advertisement

yawn

colm_mcm wrote:
    yawn

Sorry I bored ya, but €10k is €10k at the end of the day, and its better off in my pocket.

It's just it's been discussed so many times, and the same arguments keep on coming up,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Sorry I bored ya, but €10k is €10k at the end of the day, and its better off in my pocket.

You spent 33k on a Mondeo, the gov would have to go a long way to spend the cash less wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

legs11 wrote:
    right lads,

im considering getting a new motor soon, saw a smashing 320d in blighty for around £5k, high milage, but fully loaded with leather and stuff. think it was a 00model. so i checked out vrt, almost 5grand ,euros.

phfffft!!!

That's still only about 12K for a car that normally sells from 15 upwards over here. I have yet to see 90's 320D, so I think that 00 is the earliest one they made?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    It's just it's been discussed so many times, and the same arguments keep on coming up,

:( Yeh, I understand, sometimes I think this place is like Sky One;) , repeats and all that.

As I have already said, I'm not getting at anyone here, but you know yourself we would all like to buy a new car without the VRT payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As I have already said, I'm not getting at anyone here, but you know yourself we would all like to buy a new car without the VRT payment.

I'd like to buy it without vat aswell, but its not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I'm not getting at you, Micmclo

But its a joke.
    I bought a €33k Ford Mondeo, which I believe should have been around €23,000, inc VAT.

OMSP €33,135
    VRT (30%) €9940.50 without VRT €23194.50
    VAT (21%) €6958.35 without VAT €16236.15

Road Tax €539
    Fuel Tax €0.60c per litre approx

Weres the fairness here, we're being screwed left, right and centre.
    Sooner its gone the better, as the VAT is surely enough.
    Also if the government spent properly it wouldn't have to affect us, but no instead they continue to waste massive amounts of € on crap. Need I go on any further.

Yes you are right we are being ripped off everywhere.I cannot see any investment in roads.bloody m50 is always like a car park, the n11 is always heavy so wheres the money going

John R wrote:
    You spent 33k on a Mondeo, the gov would have to go a long way to spend the cash less wisely.

Saucer of milk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ciarsd wrote:
    the topic of VRT has been done to death at this stage. we all agree its an illegal tax, a tax on a tax, and a right pain in the arse.

We don't all agree on that, actually. I for one am in favour of VRT. Although, as has been said before, this topic has been done to death.

Advertisement