Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mk6 Golf on the way

Options
  • 04-05-2006 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭

VWgolf-MK6-6.jpg
    This is the new Golf due in 2008.
    VW-Golf-6-01.jpg
    No major mechanical changes AFAIK except for that 1.4 Turbo.
    VWgolf-MK6-4k.jpg

2008 is a little early by VW standards. The Mk5 isn't out all that long

Auto express ran a picture last week with slightly different headlights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Obviously using the very same platform and (some panels) as the current Audi A3!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

rear lights look familiar alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yes, there was an article in last months CAR detailing how the current car is not selling as well as anticipated. Japanese/Koreans continue to make in-roads. Also the new Astra tougher compewtition than expected.
    Even more importantly, the Golf's manufacturing costs are way higher than Focus etc. The new model will be cheaper to build.

Don't think it's daring enough for a car that will be on sale till about 2013. looks quite dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

eugh dont like it at all.

fingers crosses gti's and r32's will have deprciated like stones by then though ;)

• Advertisement

Current Seat Leon is far better looking IMHO (albeit an Alfa 147 rip-off)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ciarsd wrote:
    Obviously using the very same platform and (some panels) as the current Audi A3!

The current A3 is built on the Golf Mk5 platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Looks like an A3 crossbred with the new Polo. Doesn't strike me as a Golf at all. I read the current Golf takes 3 times longer to build than their best competitors similar car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Another blandmobile from VW, I hope they put super glue on the options list.:)

Anan1 wrote:
    The current A3 is built on the Golf Mk5 platform.

the Mk6 will be built on the MK5 platform too... so that explains that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The side profile is very Audi A3. :confused:

I hope they ditch those 1.4 75bhp and 1.6 102bhp engines for something a bit more modern.

I hate the way Audi, Skoda and VW design cues cross over.

The George Michael Goatee
    abt-sportsline-vsr-4-golf-gti-716270.jpg
    A4-1.jpg
    for example

Or the rear light treatment
    Rear.jpg
    VWgolf-MK6-7.jpg

surely Audi drivers will realise that they're paying extra for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

To me it looks like small Passat hathchback - not very inventive of VW as it looks so much like the current model. Certain A3 qualities too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's the first Golf that I like the look of since the Mk II :eek:
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Don't think it's daring enough for a car that will be on sale till about 2013

Have to agree with you there. Looks more like a car about to be launched now with end of life in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

bazz26 wrote:
    The side profile is very Audi A3. :confused:

I hope they ditch those 1.4 75bhp and 1.6 102bhp engines for something a bit more modern.
    But will your average VW buyer even notice or care if they continue with the old units? For years VW have been getting away with fitting crap (petrol) engines to bloated cars. It shows the strength of the VW brand and marketing. Have to laugh when I hear VW owners going on about how their 75 bhp, 1.4 tonne Golf is "German engineered" :)

put that beside the imminent new Corolla and Focus. or even the current Civic or Leon and I'd say it's pretty boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If it was any more interbred it'd have 5 wheels

It's the Polo but bigger with Passatish headlights, Golf PLUS height and A3 3/4 panel

The one thing about a VW Golf is that it will sell regardless of looks. That's the weird thing about Golfs - why is that?

The one thing about a VW Golf is that it will sell regardless of looks. That's the weird thing about Golfs - why is that?
    Marketing and image. You have to hand it to VW - they really have built up great image for their cars, the Golf in particular. It is highly rated by everyone from middle aged housewives to builders to trendy twentysomething girlies.

Doesn't matter how it looks or drives really.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe it is just good marketing by VW over the last 30 years. Unfortunately VW seem to be living off this these days rather than reinventing it. The Golf is not a bad car, far be it but I just don't see it being anything special (GTi and R32 maybe aside) to justify the over inflated prices.

Maybe it represents a kind of status symbol to some people? Being able to tick the options list like you have on big executive cars gives it that exclusive impression or some people may be sold on the feel good factor you get from the "clunk" sound you get when closing the door.

As I said I see nothing wrong with the Golf (aside from those terrible weak entry level engines) but I fail to see anything above average in it to justify paying above average prices for it.

Obviously other people out there do as all you have to do is look at carzone, etc to see what some people are looking for 4 or 5 year Golfs, knowing that they will find someone who will pay it.

• Advertisement

I agree with you bazz. It's time they took a different departure with regars to design. I don't mean radical by any means - just different. The MkI & II had little differences - the MkIII was a bit different. The most impressive change was with the MkIV - the V is very similar to the IV. And by all acount the MkVI will be more or less the same thing. Things in Wolfsburg are getting boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

id prefer the new model r32.it looks much better than the new golf model.:D .but the price is ridiculous for the r32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I don't believe for one minute that there'll be a new model Golf in 2008.

Auto Express have been running pictures of the "new S3" for the last few years, there's STILL no S3.

It's a very unreliable magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Big Balls wrote:
    Its happening alright. It wasn't supposed to be released until 2009 but VW have brought its release in by a year due to increased competition for other brands such as Opel/Toyota/Ford releasing their new models in that range in 2008.

This is just what I read...don't quote me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Big Balls wrote:

Auto Express have been running pictures of the "new S3" for the last few years, there's STILL no S3.

It's a very unreliable magazine.

uk-mkivs is talking about it also, i think it will happen, although if thats the mk6 they can keep it, the mkv looks far better imho. even the mk 4 is a good looker. and briand3 id rather my 1.4 vw 2003 golf to a french renault or peugeot anyday. the general engineering is far superior. they have their flaws but they are minor ones from suppliers and not from vw themselves.

lomb wrote:
    briand3 id rather my 1.4 vw 2003 golf to a french renault or peugeot anyday. the general engineering is far superior.
    In what way is the engineering far superior?

I think he might mean the way the equivelant 307 only has 90bhp, the Megane only 100bhp, while the Golf manages to find a hefty 75bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

According to WhatCar magazine, there is a golf on the way this summer with a 1.4 petrol engine driven by both a supercharger and a turbocharger giving 168bhp and 38mpg! Looks like it'll cost over 30K if it goes on sale here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

BrianD3 wrote:
    In what way is the engineering far superior?

everything tends to work after 30000 miles(and 65 in my mothers), german looks, badge, firm yet comfortable seats, ride quality, noise control, damped grap handles, rubbers in all storage compartments, dash that isnt made out of yogurt pots, short snick gearbox, very high resale value, reliable electrics that are sealed at the connectors with water proof connections, galvanized body, abs breaks with ultra safe neutral handeling with zero overstear under provocation in sharp bends , safe in a crash ,ready availabilty of aftermarket parts for modding, seat fabrics, carpet fabrics, smart looking keys, even the professionally bound manual with the vw emblem stiched to the back of it with a needle and thread. feels special for 10 grand sterling (bought it new) if id bought a megane it would have not have brought me any pleasure and most probably pain and would be worthless. i can still recover 60%+ of my money after 3 hard years use.

the 75bhp engine feels fine except under overtaking which i dont really do anyway, it can give 50mpg on a long cross country run, diesel economy and its fast enough imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Darwin wrote:
    According to WhatCar magazine, there is a golf on the way this summer with a 1.4 petrol engine driven by both a supercharger and a turbocharger giving 168bhp and 38mpg! Looks like it'll cost over 30K if it goes on sale here...
    yes there was a thread on this car already thats interesting so if you want just serach for it in the motor section.its called a vw golf gt

Advertisement