Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mk6 Golf on the way

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Everything still works in my 130000 mile, 34 y.o. French car. I've got French looks (always better than German), supersoft Dunlopillo seats (I kid you not) ride quality that makes you wonder if your flying or driving, bulletproof electrics (there's barely any), unbelievably powerful brakes, glorious 4 wheel drifts - no understeer, no oversteer, just perfectly controllable handling that doesn't land you in a ditch when you hit a stone mid-turn, super-short throw (about 10mm) semi-automatic gearchange. It cost me €8650 and I was offered €15000 for it recently. Now THEMS good residuals

I will admit my key is pretty ugly and my manual is soaked in LHM. I suppose the shape of the key and binding of the manual are a prime concern for todays enthusiast when buying a car. FFS.

The Golf is and always has been an appliance - a dull runabout for the masses (volks means people you know). Fools buy a badge and a bodyshell thinking it is the same experience as the once iconic GTi - a car that bears absolutely no driving characteristics with the 1.4 wouldn't-pull-a-soldier-of-yer-sister base models. Since the Mk II, Golfs have not been particularly well made, particularly safe, particularly well equipped or exceptional in any particular way.

Somebody said "things are getting boring in Wolfsburg". Please review the past 20 years and tell me when things were interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

lomb wrote:
    everything tends to work after 30000 miles(and 65 in my mothers), german looks, badge, firm yet comfortable seats, ride quality, noise control, damped grap handles, rubbers in all storage compartments, dash that isnt made out of yogurt pots, short snick gearbox, very high resale value, reliable electrics that are sealed at the connectors with water proof connections, galvanized body, abs breaks with ultra safe neutral handeling with zero overstear under provocation in sharp bends , safe in a crash ,ready availabilty of aftermarket parts for modding, seat fabrics, carpet fabrics, smart looking keys, even the professionally bound manual with the vw emblem stiched to the back of it with a needle and thread. feels special for 10 grand sterling (bought it new) if id bought a megane it would have not have brought me any pleasure and most probably pain and would be worthless. i can still recover 60%+ of my money after 3 hard years use.
    Well fair enoiugh you obviously are happy with your car. But of the things you listed most have SFA to do with engineering or are spurious arguments (eg how is being "safe in a crash" an argument for "German engineering") Granted the VW is ahead of many other makes in terms of its damped grab handles and rubber lined gloveboxes....personally I'd live without these to have a 1.4 Megane with 33% more power than an equivalent engined Golf :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:

The GTD sounds like a fun car. More torque than those new Intercity trains they are bringing in I bet.

The only thing to be said against a DS is it will not suit a person who does high mileage; if nothing else it just isn't fair to a 34 year old car to suddenly start doing 20k plus a year. A golf is suited to the purpose, although a Focus or Corolla is probably better suited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Everything still works in my 130000 mile, 34 y.o. French car. I've got French looks (always better than German), supersoft Dunlopillo seats (I kid you not) ride quality that makes you wonder if your flying or driving, bulletproof electrics (there's barely any), unbelievably powerful brakes, glorious 4 wheel drifts - no understeer, no oversteer, just perfectly controllable handling that doesn't land you in a ditch when you hit a stone mid-turn, super-short throw (about 10mm) semi-automatic gearchange. It cost me €8650 and I was offered €15000 for it recently. Now THEMS good residuals

I will admit my key is pretty ugly and my manual is soaked in LHM. I suppose the shape of the key and binding of the manual are a prime concern for todays enthusiast when buying a car. FFS.

The Golf is and always has been an appliance - a dull runabout for the masses (volks means people you know). Fools buy a badge and a bodyshell thinking it is the same experience as the once iconic GTi - a car that bears absolutely no driving characteristics with the 1.4 wouldn't-pull-a-soldier-of-yer-sister base models. Since the Mk II, Golfs have not been particularly well made, particularly safe, particularly well equipped or exceptional in any particular way.

Somebody said "things are getting boring in Wolfsburg". Please review the past 20 years and tell me when things were interesting.

You're comparing French cars to German ones. And it took you an essay to get to the point. That's pretty funny.

Renault or Volkswagen.. hmmm.. can I get back to you on that one??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Big Balls wrote:
    You're comparing French cars to German ones. And it took you an essay to get to the point. That's pretty funny.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Were some of the words too long for you?

I was not comparing French cars to German cars, I was responding to lombs "essay" on the engineering brilliance of the golf.

Were some of the words too long for you?

Without a doubt. I mean, come on, appliance and experience. And both words used in the same post!!! You are a fu*kin' genius.

I think you'll find you WERE comparing the cars. And only a fool would try to defend a French made car in the context you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Does anyone know how much the R32 is/will be in Ireland? I'm guessing 50 -55k ?

Something over 50k anyway yeh.

I don't think there'll be too much fuss made about it, special order job I reckon.

People in this country don't buy 3.2 litre Golfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

BrianD3 wrote:
    Well fair enoiugh you obviously are happy with your car. But of the things you listed most have SFA to do with engineering or are spurious arguments (eg how is being "safe in a crash" an argument for "German engineering") Granted the VW is ahead of many other makes in terms of its damped grab handles and rubber lined gloveboxes....personally I'd live without these to have a 1.4 Megane with 33% more power than an equivalent engined Golf :)

i have examined the old shell s class mercs and old eclasses. little details like the wash bottle being double walled WAY overengineered for the task at hand is what i loved. of course vw dont put that kind of engineering into a car( and neither do merc for that matter), how could they at 13000 euro +taxes, but they make an effort to give what people want more than any other maker, the overengineered manual and key are just one example. there are many more, the whole interior with the real chrome door handels cold to the touch could be straight out of a bentley.

u get more for your money with vw especially if u take into account resale.a megane wouldnt be worth alot after 3 years. spec is definately down on vag cars but the car makes up for it imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

lomb wrote:
    i have examined the old shell s class mercs and old eclasses. little details like the wash bottle being double walled WAY overengineered for the task at hand is what i loved. of course vw dont put that kind of engineering into a car( and neither do merc for that matter), how could they at 13000 euro +taxes, but they make an effort to give what people want more than any other maker, the overengineered manual and key are just one example. there are many more, the whole interior with the real chrome door handels cold to the touch could be straight out of a bentley.

u get more for your money with vw especially if u take into account resale.a megane wouldnt be worth alot after 3 years. spec is definately down on vag cars but the car makes up for it imho.

That is all good so long as it isn't at the expense of other more vital components. I'd prefer an overengineered gearbox that could withstand 600nm than a double walled windscreen washer anyday. I though you said yourself the new golfs are not built all that well?

Btw the key on the new Passat is awful. It starts to look shabby after 5 months. The VW logo is almost worn off my grandfathers one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

maidhc wrote:
    That is all good so long as it isn't at the expense of other more vital components. I'd prefer an overengineered gearbox that could withstand 600nm than a double walled windscreen washer anyday. I though you said yourself the new golfs are not built all that well?
    true, the new golfs arent as well built, but the engineering is as very good, as is the desirability factors that vw put in.

i think vw spent more than they thought they would on the complex doors, the complex fully independant rear suspension, and the electric power stearing and coupled with poor labour relations at the moment means the fit and screwing of components at the moment is dissapointing.

vag has become one of the worlds largest car manufacturers, increasing market share year on year for the last 7 years, they must be doing something right eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

TheBazman wrote:
    Does anyone know how much the R32 is/will be in Ireland? I'm guessing 50 -55k ?
    in the uk its 5k sterling more than a gti.
    i donot think there will be many around dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

drdre wrote:
    in the uk its 5k sterling more than a gti.
    i donot think there will be many around dublin.

I think they are bringing out an R36 early next year as a run out model of the MkV. Engine capacity will increase to obviously 3.6 litre.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/66731/vws_current_car_set_to_go_out_with_a_bang.html

Advertisement