Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grainne Seoige is to leave Sky News Ireland

• 04-05-2006 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

The anchor, who has fronted the channel's Irish news service since 2004 is to join RTE.

The national broadcaster has announced that the former TG4, Nuacht and TV3 broadcaster is to front a new afternoon daytime show.

Source: http://newsforums.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1776

A bit surprised, I thought she might have started presenting permanently in London.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bixmoo

Just as long as I don't have to hear her pronounce 'gardai' again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

She always says "an" before Taioseach...that really irritates me.

Appearing on RTE will mean that she has presented on 4 channels, 5 if you include Sky News in London.

I suppose you can interpret that in different ways....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It was putting too much of a strain on our relationship so I asked her to move back where I can keep a leering eye on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tvworshiper2006

what sort of afternoon show will she present? i really am very curious to find out what type of programme it is? anyone know? will this be a threat to the afternoon show?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Dosnt this raise an even more fundamental question about sky news Ireland. Is it going to survive. I heard it hasnt been doing well at all:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    Dosnt this raise an even more fundamental question about sky news Ireland. Is it going to survive. I heard it hasnt been doing well at all:rolleyes:

Apparently in its opening months it attained less than a few thousand viewers, I think even less than a thousand on one night watched it. So not great... They'll have to poach somebody else now. Even with Grainne I think the future of Sky News Ireland was bleak...

ateam wrote:
    Apparently in its opening months it attained less than a few thousand viewers, I think even less than a thousand on one night watched it. So not great... They'll have to poach somebody else now. Even with Grainne I think the future of Sky News Ireland was bleak...

So you think SNI is on the rack then? As in Sky bosses may actually consider jumping ship. Surely that would be a first for Sky? They can survive I think but they need to be a bit more creative and perhaps offer more then just a an hour slot nightly. Having said that their special Irish programs i,e the Easter rising parade was very well done:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

She always says "an" before Taioseach...that really irritates me.

Well she would be correct to say An Taioseach and she is from spiddal after all.
    Just as long as I don't have to hear her pronounce 'gardai' again

Again she prob is pronouncing it properly as she is from An Gealteacht.

The Seoige Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

what sort of afternoon show will she present? i really am very curious to find out what type of programme it is? anyone know? will this be a threat to the afternoon show?

Hopefully.
    Grainne will be alot better on the eye and be alot more intelligent than the 2 pigs currently on show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

She's a fool for saying yes to a new RTÉ daytime show. It'll be axed after one season.
    Actually, I hope it does get axed and no station will take her back because she left as soon as she got a better offer. Then she'll have to work for Channel 6.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

I'd imagine she's being shaped as the new Mary Kennedy of RTÉ. Bit of news, bit of serious discussion, bit of light entertainment.
    At the very least she's being eased into the station with this programme - what with the Newsroom being as cosy as it is, it'd be like chucking a chicken into a lion's den were she to move directly into newscasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    .....what with the Newsroom being as cosy as it is, it'd be like chucking a chicken into a lion's den were she to move directly into newscasting.

Maybe so but imagine the bitchiness there could be between herself and Sharon Ni Bheolain if they were doing Six One together or something. Would certainly be entertaining to watch! :D

Forget 'Celebrity Jigs & Reels'. Now here's an idea for RTE to consider:

'Celebrity Female Newsreader Mudwrestling'

Stick Grainne and Sharon into a couple of very skimpy, dental floss-type bikinis, throw them into a paddling pool filled with mud (or, even better, jelly or yogurt or something like that) and have them fight it out to take the title of "Queen Of The RTE Newsroom"!

Now that alone would be worth the licence fee, in my opinion! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Stick Grainne and Sharon into a couple of very skimpy, dental floss-type bikinis, throw them into a paddling pool filled with mud (or, even better, jelly or yogurt or something like that) and have them fight it out to take the title of "Queen Of The RTE Newsroom"!

is there any chance i could nominate you for head of RTE, Any Chance?
    ;)

i'd say the main reason she came backwas family, doesn't she have a young son and i'd say she probably wants to be close to her folks , keep them involved in the kids life.(afaik, the husband is based in england or works for an english company, that could lead to a few problems)
    personally i'd wouldn't like to see this new venture fail, i think grainne is one of the best young irish broadcasters out there, and in a climate of having hector wannabes and "colourful" presenters thrown in our face every five minutes, it'll be nice to have another adult on the television.

darkman2 wrote:
    So you think SNI is on the rack then? As in Sky bosses may actually consider jumping ship. Surely that would be a first for Sky? They can survive I think but they need to be a bit more creative and perhaps offer more then just a an hour slot nightly. Having said that their special Irish programs i,e the Easter rising parade was very well done:)

It won't be a first for Sky to jump ship. They've axed programmes and presenters before. However, it is well known that Sky News was running at a loss until 2002, but I can't see it surviving tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Bantams opinion....

Sky News Ireland... who watches it..... very few...disaster..expect demise soon

Seoighe... Going for a song... taken up by RTE.. for a bargain basement price

thats it..... done an dusted...... don't make a song an dance out of a business situation;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

ateam wrote:
    Appearing on RTE will mean that she has presented on 4 channels, 5 if you include Sky News in London.

I suppose you can interpret that in different ways....

Meow!

ateam wrote:
    It won't be a first for Sky to jump ship. They've axed programmes and presenters before. However, it is well known that Sky News was running at a loss until 2002, but I can't see it surviving tbh.

In fairness to them they have made an effort. Even on Sky news UK they are trying to include more Irish news. I dont have viewing figures to hand so I dont know. I dont see much wrong with SNI, it is a good service its just not getting viewers apparently. Of course having RTE news on at the same time appears to me to be tv suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You have to remember that Sky are more interested in subscribers then viewers. They make most of their money out of PPV TV.

Not having viewing figures for Sky News Ireland isn't all that worrying. Sky understand that they have to make it look as if they are providing Irish Subscribers with some TV output hence Sky News Ireland.
    I dont see much wrong with SNI, it is a good service its just not getting viewers apparently. Of course having RTE news on at the same time appears to me to be tv suicide.

The service itself is provides to many international stories which are just rehashes of what had been on sky news during the day, with maybe 5 Irish news pieces.

It got less viewers then TG4 nuacht when it went up againist it at 7 and now goes up against TV3 news and RTE news at 6.30. Putting it on Sky One at 6:30 is to show that they have it available.

Advertisement