Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some good Fantasy books.

Options
  • 04-05-2006 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm doing an awful lot of reading these days, so I might buy a new book or two next week. I've mostly been reading stuff from Terry Pratchett, HP Lovecraft, Clive Barker, Tolkien. You don't have to recommend anything along those lines, I just mention them so I don't get swarths of recommendations for books I've already read. So just any good fantasy would be nice.

Wouldn't mind something with a bit of political intruige, and some good, original plot. The hero venturing off somewhere formulae is a little well-worn, you know?

I had my eyes on Waylander. Any good?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Why not check out the Best Fantasy Books thread above?

Anyways, two series to definetely check out:

Steven Erikson's Malazan series. 6 books printed of 10 so far. It's a very complex series spanning multiple continents and millennia all sorts of inter-twining plots. None of the usual "farmbody fufills prophecy" stuff here either - most of the characters are properly formed adults with detailed histories that only get revealed over time. Definetely the pick-of-the-last-few-years.

There's also George R.R Martin's current "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. 6 books, with the first 4 in print. Lots of political intrigue in this and it's more "down to earth" than Erikson's series (although, IMO, not as smart or as filled with good ideas). Still a strong read though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

ixoy wrote:
    Why not check out the Best Fantasy Books thread above?

Durr... Now I feel a little stupid.
    ixoy wrote:
    Anyways, two series to definetely check out:

Steven Erikson's Malazan series. 6 books printed of 10 so far. It's a very complex series spanning multiple continents and millennia all sorts of inter-twining plots. None of the usual "farmbody fufills prophecy" stuff here either - most of the characters are properly formed adults with detailed histories that only get revealed over time. Definetely the pick-of-the-last-few-years.

There's also George R.R Martin's current "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. 6 books, with the first 4 in print. Lots of political intrigue in this and it's more "down to earth" than Erikson's series (although, IMO, not as smart or as filled with good ideas). Still a strong read though.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd really like to dive right into a series of books. I was perhaps hoping to get something standalone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

The chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson are a good read

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Waylander, in my opinion, is not very good. Very violent and bloody and not much else.

If you're looking for a standalone fantasy with some political intrigue try Guy Gavriel Kay's "The Lions of Al Rassan" or "Tigana".

I would recommmend starting with his Summer Tree trilogy if it weren't for your criteria but anything by him should be a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ah, I've already bought Waylander today.

I've also got The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman as a present, but that's the second part of a trilogy, so I might get the first part at some stage. Didn't see it in town today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wouldn't mind something with a bit of political intruige, and some good, original plot. The hero venturing off somewhere formulae is a little well-worn, you know?

I had my eyes on Waylander. Any good?
    Nope, no real political intrigue to speak of and not a very original plot.

Still, a very entertaining book to read though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Robin Hobbs' Assassin's Aprentice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

QUOTE]

struggling to think of a single Fantasy book where the hero does not wander off somewhere. Everything from Feist to Tolkien involves copious amounts of wandering off somewheres.

Perhaps Julian May's Saga of the Exiles ? lots of link ups to celtic mythology in there.

Also struggling to think of a stand alone, fantasy books tend to be serialised as creating a new "world" from scratch takes a few more pages than normal fiction, a trilogy is about as short as the good ones get ( GG Kay excepted).

The Pullman trilogy is in a class of its own, well worth it. The first 3 by Feist are classsic. Stephen Kings Dark Tower series is something that could keep you going for years if you pace yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've also got The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman as a present, but that's the second part of a trilogy, so I might get the first part at some stage. Didn't see it in town today.
    Get ye to another bookshoppe to buy the first one. The trilogy is simply brilliant.

Oh and three thumbs up for George RR Martin too.

[None standalone - but all worth the emotional investment]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

The original Dune by Frank Herbert is worth a read (but the film I found a bore). Not fond of the Dune books in the series that followed the original, but that's my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

player of games
    use of weapons
    against a dark background

all by iain m banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Did anyone else like Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell?

I struggled with it at first, and it might be too 'english' for Irish readers, but once I got into it I loved it. Still find myself thinking about it months later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

karl, do yourself a favour. Read the His Dark Materials trilogy and A Song of Ice and Fire series. Simply superb. Both in my top three,along with Tolkien.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm a huge fan of Katherine Kerr's first four books of the Deverry series. Starting with Daggerspell. Plenty of intrigue, spanning hundreds of years.

Of course I had my first big heartbreak at the time one of the characters has their heart broken so maybe I'm too involved.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Thaedydal wrote:
    player of games
    use of weapons
    against a dark background

all by iain m banks.
    Ian M Banks is Sci-Fi, not fantasy, only Ian M Banks book I have read is 'The Player of Games', and it was brilliant, very unconventional story, but excellently told and he created a very origional and indepth world with his Culture series. As for other Sci-Fi recommendations I would also say get your mitts on Dan Simmons 'Hyperion' books, theres 4 of them, but I got mine in 2 larger books, with 2 books in each, if your lookign for political intrigue and an origional plot, the hyperion series is well worth a read, very heavy reading but worth while.

As for fantasy, Robert Jordans series is excellent from what I have read so far, quite by the books Fantasy but well told and with good charecters, same can be said about Raymond E Feists first 3 books, quite by the books, but told better than anyone else, Feists first 3 books still rank as my 3 favourite fantasy novels. Terry Goodkind is another excellent fantasy author, of what I have of his 'Faith of the Fallen' would be my favourite, brilliantly told, and captures the epic feel of a war better than any other fantasy I have read.

iguana wrote:
    I'm a huge fan of Katherine Kerr's first four books of the Deverry series. Starting with Daggerspell. Plenty of intrigue, spanning hundreds of years.

Of course I had my first big heartbreak at the time one of the characters has their heart broken so maybe I'm too involved.:o

the next one in the Deverry series is due out next month, think its been 12 years since the last !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

David and Leigh Eddings: The Redemption of Althalus.

Good book, in my opinion at least.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Can I make a suggestion that you don't read Robert Jordan? For starters there's 11 books in the series so far, with more to come each with a minimum of 600 pages in hardback.
    Secondly, after the sixth book, the series becomes very staid burdened with a huge number of interchangable characters, all lacking any real personalities. The plot can't move because we have to switch between them all and describe what they're doing and it's very frustrating. I'm on Book 10 now and haven't enjoyed one since the sixth installment. A cursory glance online will show that many people who are reading this series agree about the pain of it now and where it was last good...

Oh and Terry Goodkind is rubbish, fantasy-by-the-numbers with a right-wing streak in it. Avoid him too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

ixoy wrote:
    Oh and Terry Goodkind is rubbish, fantasy-by-the-numbers with a right-wing streak in it. Avoid him too :)

To be fair there was a streak of originality in the first couple. However Goodkind appears to be trying to do 'a Jordan' and stretch the series long past its natural ending.

Tempted to pick up all the Katherine Kerr books again myself.

Julian May's Saga of the Exiles would be a stunning blast from the past. It crosses the scifi/fantasy border a bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

All the above recommendations are inspired by:

Moorcroft's Hawkmoon and Elric sagas (who you might know was in Hawkwind!!)

Fritz Lieber's Lankhmar (Grey Mouser) books

Gene Wolf's Citadel etc books

Fred Saberhagen's Swords series

Karl, these are the ones to seek out. You will not be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

growler wrote:
    the next one in the Deverry series is due out next month, think its been 12 years since the last !

Yay! Thanks for the tip, I definitely want to pick that up. Although it will be interesting to see what way it can go now that
    Jill and Nevyn are dead and Rhodry is a dragon.
    As long as it isn't all elves is could be good, I don't really like the Westlands cycle.

But the last one; The Fire Dragon, was out around 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

For the best fantasy I have had the pleasure of reading check out The Prince of Nothing Series. Different but brilliant with a very philosopical influence. I urge verybody to check it out. You wont be disappointed!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I liket The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

iguana wrote:
    But the last one; The Fire Dragon, was out around 5 years ago.

ok , so it just seems like 12 years !!
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

I really enjoyed Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy & in terms of political fantasy then Inversions by Iain M Banks is really good

I think the dark magician trilogy was compared to Garth Nix's Abhorsen on the inside of the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

ixoy wrote:

ixoy's right. I've just finished reading the 5th book and it's the most mind-blowing, uplifting and addictive series of books I've ever read. It's just monumental and this has to go on the "things to read before you die" list.

Don't miss out, KH, just read it - you won't regret it.

And i know what you're saying about not wanting to get into a "series", but this is different. ;)

I think the dark magician trilogy was compared to Garth Nix's Abhorsen on the inside of the cover.
    Actually I remember it being Nix's Sabriel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i'm not a fan of political fantasy books but i have started some
    the ones i have tried was George RR Martins - a song of ice and fire
    Daughters of the Empire - raymond e feist
    Dragon Prince - melanie Rawn
    Farsser Trilogy - Robin Hobbs was a fascinating read and i actually enjoyed these
    the dark magician trilogy i felt was an adult version of Harry Potter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Anything by Robin Hobb is worth a read in order Best first I would suggest

Farseer Trilogy
    Golden Man Trilogy
    Soldier Son - book 1 (2-3 not yet published)
    Liveship Traders Trilogy.

Possibly Soldier Son would be a good introduction since its a new series - pretty different to the usual fantasy stuff.

Assasins Apprentice (Farseer 1) is also one of the grittiest down to earth Fantasy books there is. Real pragmatic stuff - no heroes of legend. In a lot of respects the main character stays behind the scenes which makes a refreshing change.

Advertisement