Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of taking up Economics in 6th year.

Options
  • 04-05-2006 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey there,

I'm heading to the Tute next year and was thinking of dropping Geography for Economics. Looking at the course, it's macro and micro economics, which means very little to me at this stage.

So what I'm asking is, is it an easy course to revise and learn in one year? It looks quite short and would suit me going to college.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

6th year next year.. ha....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭model

k shutup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 islay

I didn't do economics at leaving butI would say take it up if your considering doing a business based course at college its very useful and will take off a lot of pressure. I wouldn't drop Geography it is an easy good grade once you stick to the exam format so up to you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I did both Geography and Economics for my LC and I by a stretch prefered Geography over Economics. Economics is a very boring subject if you have no interest in it, only you know how interested you are in it. Unless you absolutely detest Geography with a passion then maybe think about doing Economics however you will only have one year to go over the entire course, most of it is theory, very little time to truly grasp the course.

I'd be inclined to advise you to stick with Geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭belinea06

i do economics and it is very manageable to do in 1 year. i still havent studied it much and i can still answer most qs in the papers. its easy enough to predict 2 definite long qs out of the 4 also. so i would do economics - lot less to study than geo and it will help u in college

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

my economics teacher(in the tute, he's savage) said for every one hour of business you study you should be doing 3 hours of economics or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

i do geography and economics and i find geography is the easier subject. there is just alot of theory in economics and its gets annoying because there is so much theory! and im only at the end of 5th year, one year is not enough to revise for the course, sou should stick with geography

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

My school does'nt do economics, so I just bought the book, read it from cover to cover and had a good luck at the past papers myself. I'm 1 month from the leaving.... and my best mock result was in Economics. The reason I did it, was i'm crap at Irish and french, so I needed a fallback subject for points.

I found it fairly easy because i'm interested in the subject and I also do Accounting and business. If you do the work, there is no reason you can't finish it in 1 year. But to be honest, I regreat not doing geography instead....I saw the mock paper a few weeks ago and it looks so damn easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭model

Well I'm doing English, Irish, O. Maths, German, Business, Accounting, History and Geography at the moment.

I see Business and Geography as easy enough A's, but I'm dire at Accounting. Have been to grinds in the Tute though and the Accounting teacher seems pretty good so that shoudn't be too much of a problem. History is great, my favourite subject, but Im not sure about all that writing, and the fact you need to be so precise with everything. It does have the highest failure rate as my teacher says.

Advertisement