Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bit torrent

• 05-05-2006 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi

i currently downloading a movie from bit torrent.
    it keeps comin up that the tracker is down but it is still downloading very slow.
    can anyone give me a bit of help as im only new to this stuff

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You can't ask that Q here, read the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Well he could [cough,cough ] replace the word movie with "linux distribution" and perhaps re-post.

Not that I condone that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It might be a legitimate free movie download. I found one in Finland "Star Wreck". It might be the only legimate free movie on the net :)

No idea if any of the Pay for download legitimate sites offer torrant.

Try downloading without torrant. If there is no non-torrant download then it is unlikely to be be legitimate. Legitimate downloads are usually offered in non-torrant mode too (HTTP and/or FTP).

Get rid of Torrant. Trashes your Cap by re-sharing what you download. Slows your PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Here is a site that has free public domain movie torrents. http://www.publicdomaintorrents.com/nshowcat.html?category=ALL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Some bittorrent clients to the best of knowledge allow a certain amount of tracker-less sharing - but if the tracker is down, there's not a lot you can do. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jonny5 wrote:
    Hi

i currently downloading a movie from bit torrent.
    it keeps comin up that the tracker is down but it is still downloading very slow.
    can anyone give me a bit of help as im only new to this stuff

cheers

Provided that this is legal, you might try forwarding your ports on your router ...try portforward.com

Keep this clean people or it'll be locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Cabaal wrote:
    Provided that this is legal, you might try forwarding your ports on your router ...try portforward.com

Keep this clean people or it'll be locked.
    Well even if it IS illegal he could try port-forwarding.

He didn't mention anything illegal, I don't see why people need to jump down someone's throat as soon a particular protocol is mentioned.

How's about some benefit of the doubt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

quazzy wrote:
    Well he could [cough,cough ] replace the word movie with "linux distribution" and perhaps re-post.

Not that I condone that sort of thing.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eoghanflynn

what program are u using to download(bitcomet is my favorite)and make sure ur downloading the one with the most seeders.try searching on <link snipped>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

That is utter crap. Bittorrent is a protocol, and is not client dependant.

Though azureus users can share via DHT also, so that's a second channel of seeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

snappieT wrote:
    That is utter crap. Bittorrent is a protocol, and is not client dependant.
    True, true. But different clients will have different performance characteristics based on how they connect to clients, what algorithms they use to decide who's a good client and who's not, what speed they connect to clients etc etc.

A "stupid" client might connect to 10 random people, who happen to have 2kB/sec upload each. A clever client might try switching those for faster clients one by one.

Advertisement