Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help setting up wireless router in the caymans

• 05-05-2006 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello all. First time poster. I'm looking for a little help getting my linksys model wrt54gs router hooked up to my netopia 3341 modem. I've tried everything i can think of to no avail. The modem will asign an IP address to any computer that gets plugged into it, but the router is a different story. I've tried cloning the mac address of a computer that's able to get the internet when plugged directly into the modem, but still nothing. If anyone could perhaps give me a step by step on what settings I need to plug in to get this working it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks ScubaLael

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

you need to set the Netopia modem into bridge mode (read manual on how to do this). Then connect it to the internet port of linksys using ethernet cable.

Then setup linksys with the connection details for your ISP (presumably PPPoE), same way modem was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scubalael

I'll try that and post back. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scubalael

For anyone else who can't figure this out. All that needs to be done is changing the ip address of the router to 192.168.2.5 I was having a conflict where the router was 192.168.1.1 and the modem was 192.168.1.254. Anyways, leave it on DHCP and you'll be good to go with that ip address. Thanks for the idea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No confilct there, the conflict is probably coming from the modem DHCP and the WRT54GS DHCP servers, if you put the modem into bridge mode this will solve that confilct as the modem will stop trying to give out IPs. Good you managed to get it to work yourself though, best way to learn.

Munster

Yep, what MC said is correct.

• Advertisement

Are the DHCP pools of the two DHCP servers in conflict?

Yeah the DHCP server on the netopia by default allocates ip address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253. 192.168.1.1 is the default address of the linksys router. Hence the ip conflict occuring. By changing the ip address range of the netopia, the dhcp server on it will allocate ip addresses in a different range so there is no conflict with the linksys.

Best solution is to put netopia into bridge mode. More efficient.

Agreed, bridge mode is yer only man. /Much mutual (sp?) back slapping/

Advertisement