Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Dead in Cork last night

• 05-05-2006 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Maybe it was just me but my digiweb connection was dead lastnight, no warning from the service provider, just plain dead, if it were not for my eircon line I've retained I would have been rightly buggered. I am not a bit happy about this. Out from about 8.00 until I dunno, I gave up checking at 11 , back on this morning, I never had this crap from either of the other 2 providers I've used. Anybody else in Cork area experience this.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Mine went dead late afternoonish yesterday for at least 3 hours. Twas quite irritating considering i was trying to study for exams, and without google that gets a little difficult. Then i couldn't find digiwebs phone number :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Well i did have this crap with IBB before... Yeah i had the same problem down from 8 and still wasnt up a 12.45.. Wasnt happy , Same as Mutant fruit all my college notes were on the internet and have an exam today and couldnt study for it..
    Maybe it was just me but my digiweb connection was dead lastnight, no warning from the service provider, just plain dead, if it were not for my eircon line I've retained I would have been rightly buggered. I am not a bit happy about this. Out from about 8.00 until I dunno, I gave up checking at 11 , back on this morning, I never had this crap from either of the other 2 providers I've used. Anybody else in Cork area experience this.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

Yep mine went out about the same time (I'm on their fixed wireless access, not metro, but it comes from the same site in Cork)... Wasn't back on when I was going to bed around 1.

Look downtime I can accept, but at least if its scheduled send us an email saying it will be down and if its unscheduled send an incident report afterwards. These are the kind of things that would be sooo easy to do but they just don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yup, an email afterwards, at least, would go a long way alright. No ISP does this though. I guess they consider it an admission of guilt, and hope most people don't notice it?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

My feelings exactly akula, for jasus sakes. Things seem a bit half arsed if you ask me. We should have been informed of this outagge. I have avoided using the phone service since having it installed 6 months age because it cuts off suddenly, or decides to scream at you, not great if one is trying to conduct business. I was informed by Digiweb support 3 days ago that my firmware has been updated so now I should have a better service. Jeez last night I didn't have a service. And no word from Digiweb. Sucks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yeah have to agree Will... I cant complain about the service overall but when it goes down its just not on... Even IBB sent a Outtake email....

I remember in my old job I used to deal with various connectivity providers and if there was an outage or even a partial outage/performance issue we used to get pretty detailed incident report. Not expecting the same, but even a standard we're sorry email wouldn't go amiss.

Thats the reason why I'm reluctant to move my phone service, to be fair to eircom I don't think i can ever remember a time when my phoneline wasn't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Guys,

The outages were not planned - in Dublin we lost one link and weer having issues on the backup system which we then restored when engineers went out to site.

We were then unfortunate enough to have a major RTE power issue in Cork, one of our engineers arrived on site at 4am to restore our equipment and sort out the power issues with RTE.

Apologies for these - both were unplanned outages.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Chaz wrote:
    Guys,

The outages were not planned - in Dublin we lost one link and weer having issues on the backup system which we then restored when engineers went out to site.

We were then unfortunate enough to have a major RTE power issue in Cork, one of our engineers arrived on site at 4am to restore our equipment and sort out the power issues with RTE.

Apologies for these - both were unplanned outages.

Oh dear.. shades of UTV there - it was caused by someone else with who the provider should have a tightly written SLA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dyslexixboy

This is all to common with digiwebs metro service, in dundalk one of their 2nd level technicians has told me speed and reliability problems are due to their backhaul being maxed out, this is ibb all over again, my dl speeds when its up can go as low as 56k, metro is turning out to be the most unreliable service i've come across

• Advertisement

Chaz cheers for the explanation. I think the main point I'm trying to get across is would it be possible to arrange to have such an explanation sent out to all affected customers when it happens? And I'd especially appreciate it if we could get notification of planned outages.

I completely accept that unplanned outages will happen this is just a little thing that would keep people happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well you can only get an email explaination AFTER it happens. Unless there was a cheap way to automatically send SMS texts and everyone had a registered mobile number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This is all to common with digiwebs metro service, in dundalk one of their 2nd level technicians has told me speed and reliability problems are due to their backhaul being maxed out, this is ibb all over again, my dl speeds when its up can go as low as 56k, metro is turning out to be the most unreliable service i've come across

I think unlike IBB, it is actually quite uncommon with Digiweb, and there has been huge problems with Eircom DSL & resold bitstream in Carigaline Cork.

Unfortunatly there are huge infrastructure problems in this country. Without ESB fibre and CIE/BT fibre I don't know what the situation would be like.

watty wrote:
    I think unlike IBB, it is actually quite uncommon with Digiweb, and there has been huge problems with Eircom DSL & resold bitstream in Carigaline Cork.

Unfortunatly there are huge infrastructure problems in this country. Without ESB fibre and CIE/BT fibre I don't know what the situation would be like.

Well then you are lucky, because in Dundalk the service is rubbish, I've been on to their tech support now since metro was installed and not once have I been informed when an outage was going to occur, I've also been overcharged on my old wireless connection, that sounds familiar. I've had two engineer visits where they have moved the antenna. They then tried to say there was problems with trees in the distance more crap as there has been days where I actually was getting 2.5mb dl speeds but those days are a rarity. The problems are most evedent in the evenings when the connection can be as slow as dial-up, they have tried to blame everything on the problems before finally the second level tech admited that the problem was at their end, meanwhile im left with a crap service until they upgrade their network. The service disconnects most days mainly at peak times and the phone has never worked.

This is good service?

Akula wrote:
    Chaz cheers for the explanation. I think the main point I'm trying to get across is would it be possible to arrange to have such an explanation sent out to all affected customers when it happens? And I'd especially appreciate it if we could get notification of planned outages.

I completely accept that unplanned outages will happen this is just a little thing that would keep people happier.

Agreed, it would be nice. Keep in mind - the FIRST priority was to get it fixed .....

Well then you are lucky, because in Dundalk the service is rubbish, I've been on to their tech support now since metro was installed and not once have I been informed when an outage was going to occur, I've also been overcharged on my old wireless connection, that sounds familiar. I've had two engineer visits where they have moved the antenna. They then tried to say there was problems with trees in the distance more crap as there has been days where I actually was getting 2.5mb dl speeds but those days are a rarity. The problems are most evedent in the evenings when the connection can be as slow as dial-up, they have tried to blame everything on the problems before finally the second level tech admited that the problem was at their end, meanwhile im left with a crap service until they upgrade their network. The service disconnects most days mainly at peak times and the phone has never worked.

This is good service?

That link was replaced around a week ago (or a bit more). Your service should be stable. If not - let me know so that I can have it checked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Just a wee point on notifications. Magnet business/Netsource e-mail all their customers about every single outage/upgrade including the ones that eircom are doing on the bitstream dsl service. Top class. :)

Paul

Chaz wrote:
    That link was replaced around a week ago (or a bit more). Your service should be stable. If not - let me know so that I can have it checked out.

I've pm'ed you Chaz

flamegrill wrote:
    Just a wee point on notifications. Magnet business/Netsource e-mail all their customers about every single outage/upgrade including the ones that eircom are doing on the bitstream dsl service. Top class. :)

Paul

Agreed, not making any excuses - we have tried this - many of the email addresses clients sign up for are not valid or change and we end up get huge non deliverable items. It is something we are trying to improve at all times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

While we're at it - My Metro has been down over a week now and I was promised an engineer visit last Monday and the weekend has arrived so it will be at least monday and I ain't confident.

When I asked the tech agent how long it would be he asked me to call reception and ask for a name to get a time for a call out because the agent's on the desk don't handle the cal outs - they just request them.

I asked the agent to call them and ask on my behalf but he said "you'd get a much better result if you call yourself - but it should happen quicker because you're located in Dundalk." Well, 5 working days later no visit and no arranged time. No doubt I'll get 5 minutes notice during working hours from the lads in the van pulling onto my street when there's nobody home as has happened previously. Otherwise, the Metro service is fine. Good speeds, reliable ping times etc. But when something goes wrong with digiweb - thats when you're fooked it seems. :rolleyes:

At 42 a month that I'm paying I've just had 10.50's worth of downtime. Cheers.

Chaz - if you're interested - tell the engineer I reckons its the Modem. The LED labelled 'Internet' Flashes continuously now. Earlier in the week the Internet and PC Link LEDS were fulyl lit but the Cable LED was flashing...The Agent on the desk didn't seem to want to know that info so maybe it ain't relevant...I can PM my account if you want it. I'll prob have called by the time you read this tho... ;)

• Advertisement

While we're at it - My Metro has been down over a week now and I was promised an engineer visit last Monday and the weekend has arrived so it will be at least monday and I ain't confident.

When I asked the tech agent how long it would be he asked me to call reception and ask for a name to get a time for a call out because the agent's on the desk don't handle the cal outs - they just request them.

I asked the agent to call them and ask on my behalf but he said "you'd get a much better result if you call yourself - but it should happen quicker because you're located in Dundalk." Well, 5 working days later no visit and no arranged time. No doubt I'll get 5 minutes notice during working hours from the lads in the van pulling onto my street when there's nobody home as has happened previously. Otherwise, the Metro service is fine. Good speeds, reliable ping times etc. But when something goes wrong with digiweb - thats when you're fooked it seems. :rolleyes:

At 42 a month that I'm paying I've just had 10.50's worth of downtime. Cheers.

Chaz - if you're interested - tell the engineer I reckons its the Modem. The LED labelled 'Internet' Flashes continuously now. Earlier in the week the Internet and PC Link LEDS were fulyl lit but the Cable LED was flashing...The Agent on the desk didn't seem to want to know that info so maybe it ain't relevant...I can PM my account if you want it. I'll prob have called by the time you read this tho... ;)

PM me your details .... ill get it checked. Thanks

Advertisement