Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Question

Options
  • 05-05-2006 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

i bought a car 2 1/2 weeks ago and the tax was up on the 01/05/06... i am expecting the change of ownership book thing to come through on Monday or Tuesday... can i drive this weekend or would i get in much trouble if caught

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

If you get cought with a valid reason they give you 10 days to produce at a your local cop shop. If you do get stopped and you tell them that you have just bought it and you're still waiting on the logbook then all should be okay (once you get it taxed in 10 days) A friend of mine has been doing that for 12 months and keeps getting away with it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you bought the car from a garage/dealer and have an invoice then you can show that to the Garda and all should be OK. If not the Garda may or may not believe you. It's a 'story' they hear regularly. However, explain it as best you can and indicate that you will be able to prove it once the new VLC arrives in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭jamescrombie

bought it private but they can see from the insurance its only a few weeks old ..... i drove through a check point last night and they didnt notice it but i was mighty nervous

Then I wouldnt worry about it. They wont do you on it anyway if you just bought the car.

On a side note I was so nervous at my first checkpoint I rolled the car into the Garda. She was a cutie but unfortunatly mouth to mouth not requried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

bought it private but they can see from the insurance its only a few weeks old ..... i drove through a check point last night and they didnt notice it but i was mighty nervous

You have nothing to worry about. If the Gardai wanted to pursue this they would just radio their controller and do a reg check on PULSE. That would show that the car has changed owners or, if it hasn't gone through yet, the vehicle would still be registered to the previous owner, not you. The Gardai are used to dealing with change of ownership matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

im in the same boat as jamescrombie

The person who sold it said they will send off the change of ownership on Monday, do i just wait for something in the post and send it off to the tax office ? (excuse my ignorance on the matter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

grahamor wrote:
    im in the same boat as jamescrombie

The person who sold it said they will send off the change of ownership on Monday, do i just wait for something in the post and send it off to the tax office ? (excuse my ignorance on the matter)

Yes.

grahamor i was speaking to the motor tax office in Nutgrove and they said that they can give you the disk on the spot once i get the change of ownership thingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

If you get pulled in just explain that you have just bought the car, most Gardai should just accept your word, especially seeing as its not long out of tax
    However if you park it on the street you may just come back to the car to find a nasty fine stuck on your windscreen

Its really not that big a deal. There is nothing more to it then that. Once you are not planning on scamming by not payng any tax then there isnt a problem. (that said its prob penalty point worthy by now, saving lives and all that :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement

if you were in an accident not saying i well be or anything would it be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

if you were in an accident not saying i well be or anything would it be a problem
    Should you be involved in an accident I think road tax would be the least of your worries. As long as your correctly insured then don't worry about it.

motor tax in never an issue in a crash. For the love of God make sure you are insured. It get very very messy.

Grimes wrote:
    motor tax in never an issue in a crash. For the love of God make sure you are insured. It get very very messy.

ohhh god of course i am insured wont touch the road if i wasnt.....

does anyone else get annoyed when you get a new car and EVERONE wants to bring it for a drive..... gets on my nerves serious

does anyone else get annoyed when you get a new car and EVERONE wants to bring it for a drive..... gets on my nerves serious

For the love of God make sure they are covered

Grimes of course they are covered but you know what i mean.... let me bring it for a spin every second person

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you are stopped give them a copy of the signed dated VLC you really should have.

whats the VLC again maybe i am tick here

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

vehicle licencing certificate.
    Anyhow if you are sending off for tax, then this would be sent also.
    Tax it online @ motortax.ie when you get the VLC

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

AFAIK you usually get a month's leeway, so problems should not arise til June at the earliest?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

esel wrote:
    AFAIK you usually get a month's leeway, so problems should not arise til June at the earliest?

True.

You said you tax was out on 01/05/06 but tax disks run out at the end of the calender month, not the start.

Maybe you meant 30/04/06?

'Cause if not, methinks it might say 01/05 (the big writing on the disk), in which case it actually ran out on 31/01/05! :eek:

Hee hee hee... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

When I bought my present car I was driving around with out of date tax for about a month. I met 3 Garda checkpoints during that time and they looked at the date on the insurance and saw it wasn't the full year (it basically showed the date I transferred the Insurance over) and knew I just bought the car and they waved me through without any questions. Since I got tax I haven't met a checkpoint since in nearly 2.5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

kbannon wrote:
    vehicle licencing certificate.
    Anyhow if you are sending off for tax, then this would be sent also.
    Tax it online @ motortax.ie when you get the VLC

I dont think you can tax a car thats just ownership changed online - I rang the motor tax office about this last year and they said for first time you tax a car after ownership change they are unable to generate a renewal pin.

May have changed since last year though ...hopefully it has, as I just bought a 2nd hand car and the tax is 2 months out of date and am awaiting the VLC!

If you have a copy of the old VLC with last owners details then you can tax it with those which I personally thought was quite dodgy seeing as techincally they are no longer the registered owner - but sure enough Naas motor tax office had no problem with me doing this last year!! :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fair enough - I should have guessed that an online state system wouldn't work properly.
    Why is a pin necessary anyway - its not like someone else will pay your tax for you, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

kbannon wrote:
    fair enough - I should have guessed that an online state system wouldn't work properly.
    Why is a pin necessary anyway - its not like someone else will pay your tax for you, is it?

I haven't taxed a
    nything online myself but I assume the registered owner's name and address is shown to the person taxing it.

If there wasn't a PIN, anyone could call up the details of any vehicle with just the reg. number on the pretext of taxing it.

Useful for stalkers, psychos, and their ilk...

Therefore, the PIN is a good thing.

Tommy.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Don't worry. I parked my car in Garda HQ yesterday without a tax disc and didn't have any problems (then again it was only 2 days old..)

Advertisement