Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child born abroad / passport ?

Options
  • 05-05-2006 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

hi,

I have a beautiful new baby girl born abroad last Christmas.

she was born in her mothers home town and got a passport in the local country.
    Its EU.

I was wondering if I need to also register the birth in Ireland and also get an Irish passport.

if so

how do I go about it ?

/ds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Are either of the parents Irish Citizens? I know it's an obvious question but you didn't state that they were.
    If either parent is then the child is entitled to Irish Citizsenship but AFAIK only births in Ireland are registered in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

Hagar wrote:
    Are either of the parents Irish Citizens? I know it's an obvious question but you didn't state that they were.
    If either parent is then the child is entitled to Irish Citizsenship but AFAIK only births in Ireland are registered in Ireland.

ah yes.
    good point.

I am irish.

if I don't have to register how do I go and get a passport ?

/ds

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

just ring the passport office, nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

6th wrote:
    just ring the passport office, nice people.

I just did.
    very nice people !

its no big issue. I just need the concent from of both parents, as any child does under 18, and the birth cert.

this internet stuff is great .. but picking up the phone can be so much easier sometimes !

thanks for your help.

/ds

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Glad you got it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

How about if your child is born outside the EU? Is it the same procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sure things will have been tweaked over the last 9 years.

See here: https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Ruxjit wrote: »
    How about if your child is born outside the EU? Is it the same procedure?
    where the irish parent was born is whats key, not where the child is born (EU or not).

The info is all on the DFA website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ruxjit: this thread is nearly 10 years old. Don't drag up threads like that - feel free to start a new one. As you have your answer from Victor I'm now closing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement