Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N7 Naas Road Widening

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Is it a qbc that they are working on from newlands cross to the Mad Cow roundabout. Is that going to be on the nass road all the way in if it is?

Also, the engineering works that have begun on the Mad Cow roundabout, are they to turn it into the spagetti junction or what are they for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Scruff wrote:
    Is it a qbc that they are working on from newlands cross to the Mad Cow roundabout. Is that going to be on the nass road all the way in if it is?
    Yes and, don't know.
    Scruff wrote:
    Also, the engineering works that have begun on the Mad Cow roundabout, are they to turn it into the spagetti junction or what are they for?
    Yes, but not a great spaghetti junction. IMO it'll be revisited in a decade or less.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Scruff wrote:

Yes This is the Newcastle QBC i believe... It's stupid to build this at least until the Mad cow is done...

Know it will not be a spaggetti junc. Will not look remotely like one, or any junction that I have ever seen, It's a mess and will still be a mess, Monastery road is fantastic but, they shouldn't have the slips merging onto the Naas road right at the NB slip to M50, so they up traffic lights on the whole NB section of the Naas road.

My wish on this entire route is

1. proper dual carrigeway with at least four lanes in either direction from Newland's cross to Mad cow, It's pointless having a QBC here as to much traffic and slips merge in and out especially the city bounds lanes

2 Monastery road jnct. should have a slip from the M50 (tallaght direction) without having to go onto the Naas road, same for the Monastery traffic to access the M50 without traffic lights, the Whole Monastery road bridge is already defeated because there will be still traffic light's under the bridge, IT's MADNESS

3. No traffic lights, ie Free flowing Red Cow.

4. A proper flyover at Newland's cross, there is plenty of land on the south of this intersection for a not to expensive flyover here, if the South D council get there ass in gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

An alternative would be to call it a motorway but with a sign to allow agricultural vehicles e.g. a big picture of a tractor in rural areas. One approach to urban areas, where traffic volumes are higher, there would be banned. They have already let it slip at one stage on the N4 for certain types of lorry I think, so this would be a good compromise in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

As Murph pointed out, most of these roads will leave the original route untouched. And since there will be no local access and junctions will be relatively few, there will be little use of these roads by agricultural machinery. If the speed limit is to be 120kmh however, ag machinery should be completely banned from HQDC. Specially on two lane DC, the consequences of cars pulling out to avoid slow moving traffic and being rear ended by traffic travelling much faster would be obvious.

The main issue driving the designation, as far as I'm aware, is the compensation issue, along with L platers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

If you are going to allow L-drivers on N roads that are motorway in every way but name, then the safety argument goes out the window. You may as well classify the roads as M-roads and allow the learner drivers on them. The whole learner driver/provisional license system needs major overhaul, but that's another story altogether.

I think they're doing it to skimp on money, i.e. no emergency telephones etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Scruff wrote:

It will be in its entirety a spagetthi junction simply because there will be no roundabout. The brigdes will remain but the roundabout will be gone. I dont think the photomontages do the scale of the reconfiguration justice. It will be alot bigger then it looks. Yes there will be traffic lights on a couple of movements but this wont detract from it spagetti layout. If anything the N4 interchange will be more impressive. Complete freeflow:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There are hundreds (thousands?) of Km of of these non-motorway HQDC "Expressway" roads in Spain which have been built in comparatively recent times by dualling existing roads. If you have a decent map (Michelin) these are distinguished from old fashioned DC. There may be EU funding criteria relating to alternative routes etc which determine these classifications, I don't think it is just Irish policy in these matters.

I very much doubt if L drivers are the EU reason, L drivers are seen in civilised countries are being under instruction, not trying to get by the most direct route from A to B. However, if this plays any part in current thinking I wish they would actually restrict them from Motorways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

darkman2 wrote:
    Complete freeflow:D

mmm far as Im concerned its not freeflow unless there are NO traffic lights AT ALL. If they call it freeflow officially its a cop out and a lie.

Anyone got any montages/pics/whatever of the layout theyre gonna build? I think there was one in a pdf file somewhere, but it was a HUGE download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Chris,
    the N4 junction will be completely free-flow with no traffic lights but the red cow junction will have traffic lights on some movements.
    As far as montages for the junction upgrades the only ones i've seen are those 20-30mb files which i think youre talking about so no help there im afraid.

mmm far as Im concerned its not freeflow unless there are NO traffic lights AT ALL. If they call it freeflow officially its a cop out and a lie.

Anyone got any montages/pics/whatever of the layout theyre gonna build? I think there was one in a pdf file somewhere, but it was a HUGE download.

Im refering to the N4 which will be entirely freeflow with no traffic lights as has been stated above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

<snip/>

A thread on Archiseek on which someone has kindly uploaded photomontages - see the messages August 11th:
    http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=4209&referrerid=2554

The full docs from SDCC:
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=1741

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

n7m507xw.th.jpg

N7/M50 interchange

Ppl keep commenting on the N4/N7 interchanges. But the N3 interchange is probrably the biggest upgrade from an engineering veiwpoint. Its certainly going to be the most difficult. The M1 is going to get flyovers too.

Ah ok, was muddled between the N4 and N7.

Yeah N4 will be freeflow, but me (and others on here) still think its absolutely NUTS (and an Irish solution to an Irish problem) to leave some traffic lights on the Red Cow at the end of the upgrade.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, was muddled between the N4 and N7.

Yeah N4 will be freeflow, but me (and others on here) still think its absolutely NUTS (and an Irish solution to an Irish problem) to leave some traffic lights on the Red Cow at the end of the upgrade.

Most definatley an Irish solutions. We build too small:(

Bump......

The new Gantries on the Naas road are awesome! I have to say.

The new slips for Rathcoole (poitin still) and Newcastle are absalutley stupid, when there is an interchange only 200 yards further down. It's actually dangerous and not needed. Motorway status would have been actually cheaper. There is a lot of interchanges and side road present to alllow greater speed and less on ramps!!! the Steeltowns interchanges are very sharp accesses given the lenght of the slips, It's a dilberate attempt to have on and off ramped traffic to almost stop when on approach to the N7.... I have no idea why they have done this.

But overall very impressed the quality and even views around the new road. Quite pleasant and safe.:)

mysterious wrote:
    The new Gantries on the Naas road are awesome! I have to say.
    How do you mean? I was on the road a few weeks ago and I thought they looked like they were going to be more of the same incorrect false lane drop nonsense that we've seen elsewhere. Are they in fact correct or what?

murphaph wrote:
    How do you mean? I was on the road a few weeks ago and I thought they looked like they were going to be more of the same incorrect false lane drop nonsense that we've seen elsewhere. Are they in fact correct or what?

Well they look like the typical ones you see accross Europe. They are well sporred (obviously) and they are more detailed than any gantry I've seen.

My point is it's well displayed especially even if your unfamilar with the road. It mentions N7 (N8-N9) last destination and the nearest destination. which is standard accross Europe.

Aslo why is the Jonstown bride a dual carrigway and Kill not so. Kill is a bigger town and has more traffic filtering off the Naas road, as most would remember that the Kill lights was much more conjested than the Johnstown lights...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

mysterious wrote:
    Aslo why is the Jonstown bride a dual carrigway and Kill not so. Kill is a bigger town and has more traffic filtering off the Naas road, as most would remember that the Kill lights was much more conjested than the Johnstown lights...

Not entirely sure what you're getting at, but the Johnstown interchange provides exists for, Kill, Johnstown, Goffs and a minor road to Naas and Palmerston Golf Clubs, and ultimately Sallins. The southbound exist ramp is to cater for traffic entering roads to Kill, Johnstown and roads on the other side that serve Plamerston Golf Club, Goffs and then the minor road to Naas Golf Club and Sallins. The southbound exit ramp at the Kill interchange is a standard single lane with dual lane function at the roundabout and provides access to Kill, Kilteel (road that runs back to part of the Castlewarden interchange and won't see much traffic) and the Straffan road after you cross the flyover. I can see the logic in this, but only because Im a local.

As for the debate on whether new dual carraigeways are designated M or N, this actually relies on the following criteria.

1. That the existing N route is left available for agricultural vehicles and L-Drivers. This is not the case in the N7 upgrade and dictates its design.

2. That the design is done to a very strict standard in accordance with the point made above.

Let me set out some examples of why HQDC is fashionable in Ireland as opposed to straightforward motorway.

The current inter urban road programme, when completed, will be a mixture of Motorway and HQDC on all routes. I agree its rediculous and confusing to anyone looking at a completed map. The reasons are as follows;

We apply standards to Motorways that are actually too strict. I agree with previous posters that Motorways in other European countries have similar or identical designs to what we in Ireland term a HQDC. But the rules of a Motorway forbid any agricultural traffic and L-Drivers.(its a huge issue) However our new inter urban routes are seperate from our existing National Primary routes, so it comes back to a question of whether the reason for HQDC is for Farmers or very strict Motorway design specs that would cost more money. Ive seen Motorways in Spain (autopiste) and Italy (autostrada) that make the N11 south of Bray look like a gold plated road. Yet the N11 is designated non motorway. Thats because it incorporated much of the previous N11 single carraigeway road on long stretches. So we see tractors, L-Drivers etc on it. Overall we are rebuilding our national primary routes, but we are not designating them fully fledged motorways due to strict rules for motorway standards and an insistance on allowing all kinds of traffic onto them.

In relation to their proposed represtation on a map. If you look at a map of Ireland, I'd draw your attention to the N25 eastbound out of Cork city. Its a motorway in my world and described on the map as a "Dual Carraigewqay with Motorway characteristics" The only example in Ireland I reckon, but a concept that could be broadened to aid any confusion in the banana republic world of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just a semi-related point:

Why did they not remove the cones from the 3rd lane this weekend on the southbound strech of the N7 to Naas? (I'm not even gonna get into the stupid 60kph limit that it seemed only I was paying any attention to! :()
    I was going to Carlow on Friday evening and was stuck in the chaos that was a result of the Oxegen festival. From what I could see the outermost lane could've easily been opened (at least temporarily) - in fact there were some chancers who tore on down it anyway.

Why does EVERYTHING have to take so long to finish in this country?? More importantly, WHY do we put up with it???
    Take the ongoing works outside Dunshaughlin to add a buslane on the N3. The Navan side looks like they've finished with it for weeks, yet the lane is still closed! On the Dublin side they're busy reconfiguring it and resurfacing it on almost a daily basis (though I saw a prime example of the inefficency last week, when traffic was held up as a result of one guy spray-painting a K every few yards on the road.. followed a few minutes later by a girl adding numbers with another can of paint. Why the first guy couldn't do both is beyond me, except that naturally by employing a 2nd person it costs more! :mad:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

murphaph wrote:

Nope, was on the road today and they're more of the same, false lane drops and all. For some reason I think they work slightly better on D3 though than D2, where they encourage people to use the overtaking lane as a general traffic lane, as if we need more encouragement. The wierdest one though, is at what is to become J9 (previously J7), the start of the motorway section. Because of the design of these gantries, you can't patch on them, so you have the wierd situation where you have the gantries for lanes 2 & 3 in motorway blue headed "M7" (motorway regulations not applying for about another 2km or so) while the lane 1 gantry is N-road green, but headed "R445" in completely incorrect white-on-green. (Not the first mistake on this new road with patching. They've replaced the Newlands Cross stack signs, northbound on the R113 at the N7 junction, with a sign that has "N7 (N8-N9)" written in black-on-white, something I've never seen before here.

At least they are putting route confirmation signs up after every junction. Oh and while the N7 junctions are being numbered up to J9, the M7 junctions are still signed J8-J11 (with the Naas interchange now signed J9 southbound and J7 northbound...)

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Why does EVERYTHING have to take so long to finish in this country?? More importantly, WHY do we put up with it???
    Normally I'd agree with the above but in fact the N7 scheme has progressed very speedily indeed. An online upgrade of a road like that is actually much more demanding than a new offline build, as you have to keep a very busy dual carriageway open, right through a building site.

icdg wrote:
    Nope, was on the road today and they're more of the same, false lane drops and all. For some reason I think they work slightly better on D3 though than D2, where they encourage people to use the overtaking lane as a general traffic lane, as if we need more encouragement. The wierdest one though, is at what is to become J9 (previously J7), the start of the motorway section. Because of the design of these gantries, you can't patch on them, so you have the wierd situation where you have the gantries for lanes 2 & 3 in motorway blue headed "M7" (motorway regulations not applying for about another 2km or so) while the lane 1 gantry is N-road green, but headed "R445" in completely incorrect white-on-green. (Not the first mistake on this new road with patching. They've replaced the Newlands Cross stack signs, northbound on the R113 at the N7 junction, with a sign that has "N7 (N8-N9)" written in black-on-white, something I've never seen before here.

At least they are putting route confirmation signs up after every junction. Oh and while the N7 junctions are being numbered up to J9, the M7 junctions are still signed J8-J11 (with the Naas interchange now signed J9 southbound and J7 northbound...)

What will happen to the route numbering when the M7 and M8 split?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DerekP11 wrote:
    As for the debate on whether new dual carraigeways are designated M or N, this actually relies on the following criteria.

1. That the existing N route is left available for agricultural vehicles and L-Drivers. This is not the case in the N7 upgrade and dictates its design.

2. That the design is done to a very strict standard in accordance with the point made above.
    For most of the Naas road, there is in effect three carriageways, east, west and local. This could easily have been altered to a four carriageway layout with only occassional interchanges for about the same price.

icdg wrote:

Only in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Victor wrote:
    For most of the Naas road, there is in effect three carriageways, east, west and local. This could easily have been altered to a four carriageway layout with only occassional interchanges for about the same price.
    why? do you think through traffic is more important than local traffic? Local traffic needs more than just an occasional interchange......dont forget people live there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

DerekP11 wrote:
    Ive seen Motorways in Spain (autopiste) and Italy (autostrada) that make the N11 south of Bray look like a gold plated road.
    Did you notice how in Italy motorway signs are in green, but national road signs are in blue. It's very confusing coming from Ireland where our motorway signs are in blue and national road signs are in green!
    Also, did you notice how south dublin coco use simialr methods of overhead gantries as France, while dun laoighaire rathdown use similar methods as Italy.

I see on the M50 northbound, just before the upramp from the ballinteer junction merges with the M50, there is a sign on the left giving a distance to Cork and saying N8 but not giving any such distance to Limerick or it's number N7! I'd say the tourists must love Dun laoighaire rathdown coco. You'd be a while driving along the M50 looking for the N8 turnoff.
    It's a complete contrast to those coming southbound from fingal on the M50, their coco gives Limerick N7 only. Welcome to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Just a semi-related point:

Why did they not remove the cones from the 3rd lane this weekend on the southbound strech of the N7 to Naas? (I'm not even gonna get into the stupid 60kph limit that it seemed only I was paying any attention to! :()
    I was going to Carlow on Friday evening and was stuck in the chaos that was a result of the Oxegen festival. From what I could see the outermost lane could've easily been opened (at least temporarily) - in fact there were some chancers who tore on down it anyway.

Take the ongoing works outside Dunshaughlin to add a buslane on the N3. The Navan side looks like they've finished with it for weeks, yet the lane is still closed! On the Dublin side they're busy reconfiguring it and resurfacing it on almost a daily basis (though I saw a prime example of the inefficency last week, when traffic was held up as a result of one guy spray-painting a K every few yards on the road.. followed a few minutes later by a girl adding numbers with another can of paint. Why the first guy couldn't do both is beyond me, except that naturally by employing a 2nd person it costs more! :mad:)

Couldn't agree more it's ridiculous the snails pace infrastructure is built in this country- nearly as frustrating as the traffic chaos and poor roads themselves.

It's a joke- the govt are always putting political spin on how great the economy is thanks their wonderful leadership but yet they can't built the eseenetials like a decent and safe road and rail network,
    I mean on a project like the N7- arguably the busiest and most NB road in the country, they should be working 24 hours on it- this happens in most other countries.The extra cost is easily made up in the savings to business from less gridlock.

Nope they won't remove any bollards until fat face cullen cuts the ribbon to make ultra official.. eh right.

I asked the question earlier... what will the jct. numbering be after the split of the M7/M8 i.e the M7 will continue on as follows and the M8 will start from Jnct. 1:confused: I just hope they don't make it more confusing!

Actually The HQDC is not up to motorway spec anyway. The slips almost right angled except from Kill and Johnstown. They made a pointless triangle slips at the Poitin still... with the extra traffic ie the N7 does not need local traffic making rat trip going onto the N7 here. Fuk it use the Rathcoole interchange.

Victor is right about few interchanges. There is far to many luxurious side and local roads with every interchange accessed to one another!!

if it were motorway it would be in fact cheaper.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

They've updated the site today with a progress report. Looks like the whole route won't be opening until 28th of July.

mysterious wrote:
    They made a pointless triangle slips at the Poitin still... with the extra traffic ie the N7 does not need local traffic making rat trip going onto the N7 here. Fuk it use the Rathcoole interchange.
    From what i hear, the entrance at the Poitin Stil may be SHUT when the Rathcoole Ring road is finished!
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=4148
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/images/roads/Sheet1_OverallLayout.jpg

Seeing as how this ring road has yet to be STARTED, that may be a while yet. the village if memory serves me correctly cannot handle all the traffic coming and leaving from the one side.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

mysterious wrote:
    Nope they won't remove any bollards until fat face cullen cuts the ribbon to make ultra official.. eh right.

I asked the question earlier... what will the jct. numbering be after the split of the M7/M8 i.e the M7 will continue on as follows and the M8 will start from Jnct. 1:confused: I just hope they don't make it more confusing!

Usual UK system is to number the junctions on the spur as if it were a new motorway (from Junction 1), and the N9 EIS seems to indicate this will happen here too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

jkgvfg wrote:
    They've updated the site today with a progress report. Looks like the whole route won't be opening until 28th of July.
    What?? That's amazingly fast. According to that site they only started it in Nov 2004, it will only have taken 21 months. I think the 60k limit is stupidly low though.

As for the parallel local roads alongside many stretches, these are so that local traffic doesn't have to use the N7 for short journeys. If these were completed the whole way alongside, you could designate motorway if you enlarged some of the tighter slips - they're probably thinking ahead to this. Though, they probably should just have done that in the first place. And why does Goffs get its own dedicated entrance?

As for the signage, I only saw half-gantries up when I was on it heading for Bob Dylan a few weeks ago, and they looked great.

corktina wrote:
    why? do you think through traffic is more important than local traffic? Local traffic needs more than just an occasional interchange......dont forget people live there.....
    They don't need about 8 interchanges from Nass to Saggart. Also I said 4 carriageways, there would still be a (non-motorway) road from Naas to Dublin.

Something like this, just not so many lanes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:401atDVP.jpg

Victor wrote:
    They don't need about 8 interchanges from Nass to Saggart. Also I said 4 carriageways, there would still be a (non-motorway) road from Naas to Dublin.

Something like this, just not so many lanes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:401atDVP.jpg

Will there though? I know there are parallel access roads going in from Naas Maudlins interchange (the big ball) to Johnstown and on to Kill, but I don't think it'll mean a continuous stretch of non-motorway road to Rathcoole. I definitely think the bits with a parallel road should be upgraded to motorway however, but I don't think it'd be possible to go motorway from Rathcoole all the way to Naas.

Victor wrote:

I read the article connected with that - interesting.
    The Ontario government is also planning to widen the Missisauga stretch from 6 lanes to 12 lanes from the 403-410 interchange to the Credit River, and 10 lanes to Mississauga Road.

That interested me especially. They're doubling the capacity of the road, future proofing it. Technically they should do much more to the M50 than just stick one more lane there. They should stick two. I know theres issues with space, but whatever you say, they're doing a cheapy job on it, and it'll be congested onces the upgrade is done. Then they'll let everyone suffer for a few years before trying to stuff another lane in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Technically they should do much more to the M50 than just stick one more lane there. They should stick two.

They are adding two. It's all in the plan.

Dermot

Nah I by one I meant going from 2 lanes to 3 on each side. So technically 2 extra lanes. But they should put 2 extra lanes on EACH side while they have it all dug up.

• Advertisement

Nah I by one I meant going from 2 lanes to 3 on each side. So technically 2 extra lanes. But they should put 2 extra lanes on EACH side while they have it all dug up.
    They are, sort of.

By the time it's all done, there'll be four lanes in each direction - the only caveat being that one of them will be dropped (and immediately regained) at each junction. Since the NRA seems determined to sign all junctions as lane drops, this is possibly no bad thing.

Dermot

mackerski wrote:
    By the time it's all done, there'll be four lanes in each direction - the only caveat being that one of them will be dropped (and immediately regained) at each junction. Since the NRA seems determined to sign all junctions as lane drops, this is possibly no bad thing.
    Hmmm, interesting thought, designing your roads around your signage. Could this be a world first? Bloody NRA idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

spacetweek wrote:

As for the signage, I only saw half-gantries up when I was on it heading for Bob Dylan a few weeks ago, and they looked great.

Great that they have overhead signage but what's with the daft signs that they fit to these gantries. You have information duplicated that makes it hard for a motorist to take in one one glance. Then they have these weird arrows that point 'south west' instead on 'north west' for the slip roads. None of it makes sense and seems to be in contravention of all legal and international norms.

Some self-appointed moron in the NRA started this dreadful signage with the opening of the last section of the M50 to the N11. We now have signage that encourages motorists to sit in the over taking lane (because this is what the sign says if you want to go to wexford). I wonder has this been a factor in the number of multi-vehicle RTA's on this section of road since it opened?

For the ultimate in daftness and "we really haven't a clue" check out the exit from the M11 to M50. Bizarrely this is labeled Exit 17 on the M11 (who knows why!!) and it has lane arrows on duplicated signs that defy all logic. Not only is it daft, it is dangerous and confusing (given the average standard of driving in Ireland).

Somebody in the signpost dept should take a trip up to Belfast and drive the M1, check out the signage and see how easy it is for the driver to take in the info and drive.

spacetweek wrote:
    And why does Goffs get its own dedicated entrance?
    They've had it for a long time. CRH also have one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Victor wrote:
    They've had it for a long time. CRH also have one.
    Yea, I know, but I was referring to the new, reconfigured road. They still have a dedicated entrance. Not good, they could just use the nearby Johnstown interchange.

• Advertisement

BrianD wrote:
    Then they have these weird arrows that point 'south west' instead on 'north west' for the slip roads. None of it makes sense and seems to be in contravention of all legal and international norms.
    Someone should tell the motorway companies in south west france then because they use the same downward sloping arrows.
    BrianD wrote:
    Some self-appointed moron in the NRA started this dreadful signage with the opening of the last section of the M50 to the N11. We now have signage that encourages motorists to sit in the over taking lane (because this is what the sign says if you want to go to wexford).
    Same standard as on the autostrada in Italy - and by the way it is the local council who are in charge of signs not the NRA, although I agree with you that the NRA should specifiy a national standard for all local authorities to follow.

Same standard as on the autostrada in Italy

Not on any I've ever driven on. On a two lane road with a standard exit, the Italians do not tell leaving traffic to get into lane 1 and all other traffic to use lane 2.

Dermot

mackerski wrote:
    Not on any I've ever driven on. On a two lane road with a standard exit, the Italians do not tell leaving traffic to get into lane 1 and all other traffic to use lane 2.

Dermot
    They definitely have them on the motorway between Brescia and Padova!
    And yes, my initial instincts was to constantly go into the middle lane each time,
    I say middle because for most of the route the road was three lane!

Another thing about Italian motorways, especially the one leading to the Mont Blanc tunnel, they sometimes reduce down to one lane each direction. Couldn't quite get my head around that.

I cannot get my head around that fact that there is so many dedications to goffs, poitin still, Newcastle, and the other back lanes at Steelstown yet within a few hundred yards in every direction there is a major junction. In fact there are quite close to each other. I miean if you were to look at a map of this finished route you'd easliy spot how close there are and no other M or DC in Ireland would have that concentrated amount of slips and interchanges. Take M4 (I know there are different roads but they have simular traffic movements i.e trunk and commuter and local) they have three interchanges between Kilcock and Leixlip or I think four now? but the point is it's so stupid to have dedicated triangles off and on ramps when they could use the interchange..:rolleyes:

It's a good road, but we Irish still make mistakes for spending millions on such a big project....

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Now that the main works are complete and we have the 3 lanes each way from Rathcoole to Naas has anyone else noticed the increase in people tootling down the middle or outside lanes and refusing to move over to left when no longer OVERTAKING anything.....
    There was a guy sat in middle lane yesterday going much slower than the other lanes and despite me flashing him to move over he hand signaled that i should UNDERTAKE him on the left.....ffs
    It seems by opening the 3rd lane we expose loads more people who have no clue what the rules of the road are?

• Advertisement
Advertisement