Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anything beat WoW?

Options
  • 05-05-2006 10:38am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭

as the title says, i was just wondering if ye all think that anything is gonna beat wow in the near future? maybe not beat it in terms of subscribers (which as 5.5million, probably wont ever be beaten).

i know that theres alot of different things that people don't like about the game, from end game raiding, to the lack of any decent solo end game activities. but more then any mmo so far, it seems to have the right feel to it (most of the time).

so, can anything beat wow? or is there anything that you are almost certain will take you away from it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

I'd have to say yes..

Ultima online was the dominant force years ago with a huge community but like all other MMORPG's it eventually started to die, today it still has a good following but the interest has certainly died away and I'd say wow will end up down the same path.

Then another nice mmorpg will come along and everyone will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'd ahve to say no, but EQii comes really really close, and I shall play it again after exams \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There are Korean MMOGs with more then WoW subscribers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hobbes wrote:

i dont think we can really count them...its more like a religion over there :p . and are there mmo's over there with more then 5.5 mll subscribers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

eve kicks wow's ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

eve kicks wow's ass
    what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Personally I found Eve to be very boring. I only played it for like 4 months or so though, and people do say it gets more interesting if you stay at it for a long time. Different types of games for different people I guess ...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

For me Dark age of camelot can. Simply the best PvP mmorpg there is. It even had a great PvE system. But i have to admit that WoWs is even better.

The PvP is terrible in wow, main reason i stopped playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Drakar wrote:
    Personally I found Eve to be very boring. I only played it for like 4 months or so though, and people do say it gets more interesting if you stay at it for a long time. Different types of games for different people I guess ...
    EVE can be very boring if all you do is the trading / mining / production thing ... an important part of the game but not the part that keeps everyone playing. Where a lot of people go wrong is thinking that 0.0 is lawless/wild west and join a carebear corp and never get into fights .... thats where all the fun is

Most of the thrill in EVE is that you actually can lose stuff, not like WoW or others ... if you had a fully fitted battleship and you got blown up, you dont wake up in the station with the same ship, its gone - popped - kaput .... this makes some people super careful, for fear of losing it .... but if you were in a good corp, that would be replaced in no time and you would be back out there popping other peoples ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

BigEejit wrote:
    EVE can be very boring if all you do is the trading / mining / production thing ... an important part of the game but not the part that keeps everyone playing. Where a lot of people go wrong is thinking that 0.0 is lawless/wild west and join a carebear corp and never get into fights .... thats where all the fun is

Most of the thrill in EVE is that you actually can lose stuff, not like WoW or others ... if you had a fully fitted battleship and you got blown up, you dont wake up in the station with the same ship, its gone - popped - kaput .... this makes some people super careful, for fear of losing it .... but if you were in a good corp, that would be replaced in no time and you would be back out there popping other peoples ships.

people who think that 0.0 is scary piss me off the place you should realy be afraid of is empire now thats some scray ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

Although loosing 3 months work when playing pissed one night is not funny.

And dont tell me you havent done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hobbes wrote:

Such as?

I thought even the Lineages couldnt match wows success so far?

Not saying your wrong, as im pretty ignorant of mmos, but i seem to remember looking at some mmo site with graphs that didnt show any other mmo above 3 million or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Kiith wrote:
    so, can anything beat wow? or is there anything that you are almost certain will take you away from it?

Yes, a proper relationship with a human :D

/sorry to be a smart ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Never hared of that game. Is it new?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Lineage I had way more than WoW and so does Lineage II though I can't recall the exact figure at the moment. The problem with these graphs is that they only count western MMO

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Dustaz wrote:
    Such as?

There are a large number of in Korea, many never even leave the country. When I was in Korea last year one of the MMO even had its own TV station and the graphics were onpar/better then what I have seen in WOW/CoX.

Although more of a culture thing the MMO tend to be very different to the wests. CoX for example has seperate servers for the Koreans with a different codebase where the characters actually look better.

WOW is a worldwide hit but in the generally Korea has most of the world beat when it comes to playing MMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Gimme EQ2's high level content over Wows any day of the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Kiith wrote:

if anything has a chance its warhammer online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Venom wrote:
    Gimme EQ2's high level content over Wows any day of the week :)

over-realm ftw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dinh_Gunslinger

I have to say, I found WoW to be extremely boring and lacking in content. I prefer depth and lots and lots of content to keep me amused as opposed to the whole ethos of reaching level 70 yesterday by button bashing you way through the game.

EQ II definitely rules the roost imo but Lineage II comes very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

DAoC is THE greatest MMO ever produced, a far better game than WoW, however like most MMOs it eventually pretty much died. DAoC had something WoW didn't, good endgame content, proper PvP, proper raiding system,there was more than a .0005% chance of getting an item from a 5 hour dungeon raid. WoW as an MMO is weak, tbh, I stopped after a few months, realising this. What WoW did was use a huge franchise and combine it with a far easier to pick up and play MMO than any before, which was great for levelling yes (probably the best levelling system of any MMO of late) but ruined it in endgame.

So what can 'beat' it, the most promising i've seen is Warhammer Online, a PvP oriented game from Mythic, who made DAoC, only this time they have a bigger budget and the backing of a huge franchise. Seriously, read some of the stuff these guys are doing with the game, it's bloody mental, such as the ability to raid other races capital cities, blow the gate apart, graffiti it everywhere and decimate the buildings.

That said, WHO won't be out til at least mid 2k7, so i guess WoW will be the dominant force for a while to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

Dustaz wrote:
    Such as?

Not saying your wrong, as im pretty ignorant of mmos, but i seem to remember looking at some mmo site with graphs that didnt show any other mmo above 3 million or something.

around 2003 i think Legend of mir became the post popular mmorpg, with just over 100,000 million players online at the same time from all o there 78 servers.

The game that would beat WoW(or even come close to it) would have the be War online(warhmmer)

its hard to get a good mmorpg that everyone truly likes, for me WoW had a great PvE systerm, but PvP sucked, DAoC had a great PvP system but PvE sucked. hopfully war will have both good PvP and PvE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

As MMOs go it is unlikely that any game will match it's success in terms of volume subscriptions. What WoW did was it brought MMOs to the masses, introducing people to this kind of gameplay who had never been aware of it or considered it. At this stage most people who are likely to try a MMO have tried WoW. If a future game is going to surpass this success it will have to draw in not only the fans of WoW, but also those who tried it and decided MMOs weren't for them. WHO is another widely known brand name so is the only MMO on the horizon to have a chance, but I doubt it since WoW got there first.

toxick wrote:
    around 2003 i think Legend of mir became the post popular mmorpg, with just over 100,000 million players online at the same time from all o there 78 servers.

Im going to have to call bùll**** on that (and im assuming its a typo and you meant 100 million). Link plx.

Wikipedia mentions a Guinneas Book of Records certified record for Mir 3 of 750,000 (Wikipedia on Mir 2 mentions a record of 250,000). linky

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart7.html
    http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

Knew I'd seen that stuff somewhere. Surely that makes wow more popular than anything else or is it missing data somewhere? Even if it was missing a lot of korean data, it would need over 15% of the population of korea to play a single mmo to top WoWs figures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

hopefully guild wars will be as good as WoW.

im buying giuld wars soully for the reason that i dont agree with the monthly subscription fees.

i think games should be a one off fee.

anyway, any guild war players here?

whats it like?

If WoW was a once off payment thing, many (more) people would have got bored with it long ago as there would have been far less money to develop fixes, spend on infrastructure (cough) and add new content.

If people don't feel like commiting to a monthly fee, GuildWars might definately be the way to go though.

Unrelated posts....

WoW passes 50% market share:
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060601-6964.html

European game addiction clinic opens next month:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/01/european-game-addiction-clinic-opens-next-month/

• Advertisement
Advertisement