Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much study are you really doing?

Options
  • 05-05-2006 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Well its very close to the exams and are you prepared . I see alot of people in the library but im not seeing alot getting done. I have one particular poster who was studying for 4 hours and got 1 page of notes done. (you know who you are)

How much study are you doing? 35 votes

Im going to fail in style
    0% 0 votes
    Im going to fail thinking I passed on the day
    17% 6 votes
    Im going to scrape through
    8% 3 votes
    Ive done enough but kept my life
    42% 15 votes
    I Sleep but other than study thats all I do
    20% 7 votes
    I havnt had my head out of a book all year.
    11% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

not a lot.....not a lot at all:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Not enough. RIP Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

No one ever does 'enough'

But I reckon if I can shake this hangover (yes, I know, terrible stuff I was out on the serious piss last night five days before my exams, but it had to be done) and work today that magical 40% is in my reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If the second one was I'm gonna fail, not by much but fail and know it on the day I'd pick that one but I can't repeat so that's enough of that talk:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Heh, I'm the only one that's plumped for the "gonna fail in style" option.

Honestly, you're all such cocky gits!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I reckon I'm doing about enough to pass. Which reminds me, I need to find out today if I need 50% or 55% in the summer exams to qualify for honours 3rd year (I don't know if I'm classified as a repeat or not for qualification purposes...). I have a 65% average from Christmas, so I can take a little drop now and still be ok :)
    This morning, I went to the Unix review session, then I've done an hour of study since then. Yesterday I got sweet f-all done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I've done just about nothing... however my exams are nicely staggered and, as far as english & history are concerned anyway, i've almost earned my passes from essays alone.. so i have a comfortable buffer of neededing only 30%ish in those exams.

But..really.. i've done nothing. hoping to write out everything necessary for my first 2 exams (8th & 12th) in a huge burst of productivity today..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I haven't started studying yet.:) I don't know how, but I have an amazing ability to cram. For all of my previous exams here, I haven't started studying until the day before, and last year I came out with a first honours overall and this year at christmas I averaged 68%. Since I only have 3 exams now, and they are spread out, i'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*doesn't like people like Blowfish*
    Somehow, half of CS seems to be amazing crammers... I'm just not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

*doesn't like people like Blowfish*
    Somehow, half of CS seems to be amazing crammers... I'm just not :(
    teehee it's great. For the leaving cert I only studied for two weeks. During the mocks I wen't away for the weekend to Sligo to a giant party, came back on the sunday evening, and had an exam the next day. I got a B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

The real stuff starts today. It just does. End of. I always plan to start studying early and never do, and I even manage to haul my ass into the library nice and early a lot of the time, but that's it, I do nothing when I get there. I was the same during my Leaving Cert, I was on the phone til 5am the night before the first exam.

I have a question though....do you have to pass individual papers to pass a subject? I'm referring to History by the by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

This time next week it will be all over!!!! :)

As of yet I've done fuck all as per usual. Need to pass 1 module, already scored 12% from an essay, done another essay which was worth 40% so if I got 20% even from that I'd need to basically show up and waffle through the exam.

Ahhh not much pressure really but I do somehow fail I will deserve to be crucified.... woooo 1st UCD Boards crucifixion is possbile! *

* please be not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

haven't done a lick... been doin essays and sh*te up until now! i'm not too worried though, tbh.

my exams...

9th May - Intro to Programming - been doin practicals for this, i could even have passed by now! if not, the exam is easy enough, got an A+ in first semester.
    10th May - History of psych & Understanding research - I like the history part, and have good notes for it. hate the other part, but i can cram it a bit. plus, it's multiple choice questions!!! yay
    10th May(grrg) - Perception and Cognition - okay, i havent gone to alot of the perception lectures, but there's notes on blackboard, and i got a week loan of a psychology textbook, so i'll cram a bit for that.

then, WEEK OFF!!! so i can study for other sh*te

18th May - Intro to ethics - BOOO!!! okay, i hate this, but if my essay is accepted i should get at least 15% from it. i can scrape a pass from 3 essays... hopefully. i'll read summaries of the Republic as well, couldn't hurt.
    18th May(grrg) - Ireland: Union & Disunion - 2 essays handed in for this, one of which was decent (should email my tutor and get my mark, actually). plus, prof bartlett said that he doesn't want to have to correct exams in august, so i'm sure i can at least scrape a pass :)

Overall, I'm not too worried! I probably should be...

*goes off to play SWAT4*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

DaveMcG wrote:
    haven't done a lick... been doin essays and sh*te up until now! i'm not too worried though, tbh.

my exams...

9th May - Intro to Programming - been doin practicals for this, i could even have passed by now! if not, the exam is easy enough, got an A+ in first semester.
    10th May - History of psych & Understanding research - I like the history part, and have good notes for it. hate the other part, but i can cram it a bit. plus, it's multiple choice questions!!! yay
    10th May(grrg) - Perception and Cognition - okay, i havent gone to alot of the perception lectures, but there's notes on blackboard, and i got a week loan of a psychology textbook, so i'll cram a bit for that.

then, WEEK OFF!!! so i can study for other sh*te

18th May - Intro to ethics - BOOO!!! okay, i hate this, but if my essay is accepted i should get at least 15% from it. i can scrape a pass from 3 essays... hopefully. i'll read summaries of the Republic as well, couldn't hurt.
    18th May(grrg) - Ireland: Union & Disunion - 2 essays handed in for this, one of which was decent (should email my tutor and get my mark, actually). plus, prof bartlett said that he doesn't want to have to correct exams in august, so i'm sure i can at least scrape a pass :)

Overall, I'm not too worried! I probably should be...

*goes off to play SWAT4*

A) beware negative marking!!
    B) hope he's applying the same to 2nd years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I keep trying to study but for some reason 12thC Irish Syllabic poetry just can't hold my attention. Why did i take irish?!?*

*i love it really

Also anyone have orals and such? Had mine yesterday, nice to get 15% out of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I've been quite productive I think, but since all my exams are essay format if they leave out topics I've covered I'm screwed. But I'm usually pretty good at working out exam hints and what usually comes up. So I'm hoping to do well enough.

And elmyra, he did say he didnt want to be marking repeats for 2nd years too, but the lecturers dont mark most of the papers anyway - so if a fail is deserved it'll be given. Sorry to burst the bubble... but it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

where is everyone by the way? me im up in the eagles nest (library top floor), escalator goit fixed woo! im off to take advantage...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

DaveMcG wrote:
    plus, prof bartlett said that he doesn't want to have to correct exams in august, so i'm sure i can at least scrape a pass :)

To the best of my knowledge, Bartlett always says this! So I'm not sure if that's really a guarantee. But his papers are usually quite decent from what I've heard, so if you've any knowledge of the era, you could probably bulls*** your way through it. Never taken any of his course.

Study's going better since I met Peachy, and was handed a life raft for my War and Peace course. Steph, Cathy, and Clodagh, ye rock! :D

Course now I have to read all that paper ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

ive 4 exams next week and will be ok for them as theyre the easiest 4, then a week off before the remaining 6 harder ones, which include a couple on the same day and a saturday morning out in belfield:(

As for study i have'nt been to lectures in months so im relying on the online notes for all my studying, i should be ok to pass all of them, (i only need about 25% from the exams in biochem to get a pass) but i need 50% in one subject-preferably pharmacology- to get into hounours 3rd year

so its a coinflip really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I haven't studied at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

You think you guys have it bad; in the first three days I have three exams of total duration nine and a half hours covering almost 180 lectures' worth of material, which to the uninitiated resembles hieroglyphics due to the huge volume of complex mathematical and chemical equations! I wish I had a few exams where the requirment is to write an essay on history or whatever, just to give me a break. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Started today, in library 8 hours and got only 1 topic done, Erasmus(yay!) just hope he comes up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I haven't studied at all.
    Yeah, likewise.

I'm banking on the fact that, after the first week anyway, all my exams are nicely spaced out, leaving good opportunities for crammage. Still, that first week is gonna be a b*tch given my lack of preparation. I'm sure tears will be shed and hope will be lost. But hey, that's just UCD in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Samos, if you think writing two essays in three hours is easy, you have your head up your ass. Everyone thinks they have it the worst, everyone. Get over yourself. I have no sympathy unless two of your exams are on the same day. Just frickin' deal with it.

Seb, you'll do fine if you concentrate for the rest of the time. I swear, you have it in you, just stop letting the panic rule you and take control back. It's your brain for féck sake, you have the information, don't let you convince yourself otherwise. It's all mental.

I have 6 days to my first exam (I think). I started studying for an exam I have on the 31st of May today and still haven't opened a book for my first exam. It was the first time I even attempted to study. Now that I've started, I know I can keep doing it.

A positive attitude and bananas. That's all you need! You won't ever get anywhere if you keep telling yourself that you can't do it. Negativity is the first place people fall down. Don't doubt what you don't know, believe in what you do.

Jesus, I sound like a frickin' cheerleader on skittles. I apologise. But you guys can all do it, so stop with the negativity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Not enough it seems, in trouble for corporate finance law

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I've been studying like a demon all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I've been studying like a demon all year.

are you a law student by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Blush_01 wrote:
    Samos, if you think writing two essays in three hours is easy, you have your head up your ass. Everyone thinks they have it the worst, everyone. Get over yourself. I have no sympathy unless two of your exams are on the same day. Just frickin' deal with it.

Don't take me too seriously. I never said writing essays was easy, but it is bluff-able. However, solving 2nd order non-constant coefficient differential equations or estimating the residual molar enthalpy change of an isochoric process ain't. I have it grand because I know what I'm doing. I've never even been close to failing anything. I just figured y'all might feel better if you thought somebody had it worse.

In the long run it really doesn't matter how well you do...

Advertisement