Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi rolling Mat

• 05-05-2006 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where you can buy sushi rolling mats in Dublin?
    tried the asian market and all the asian shops last weekend but didnt find any. Also tried House of Fraser and BT's home department and didnt see any there either.

Any recommendations ?
    Are they really needed for sushi or could I do with out one? have all the ingredients to make sushi except for the mat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I bought mine at Tesco

BTW, the mat is used to make norimaki, the seaweed roles. If you call sushi the pieces of rice with fish on top, you don't need the mat.

There are also hand roled makis, which are looser and roled in a cone shape. Check online, you should find all you need.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eefy

Hi

I got one in The Oriental Emporium in Rathmines,
    You would probably get one in a shop called Stock
    As far as iremember its near the gaiety, at the side of St Stephen's green SC
    or there's a shop called Kitchen Complements on Grantham St.
    just off Grafton St. They should have them also.

I tried making sushi a couple of times, total disaster, the rice just didn't turn out right.
    I seemed like far too much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

groovyg wrote:
    Does anyone know where you can buy sushi rolling mats in Dublin?
    tried the asian market and all the asian shops last weekend but didnt find any. Also tried House of Fraser and BT's home department and didnt see any there either.

Any recommendations ?
    Are they really needed for sushi or could I do with out one? have all the ingredients to make sushi except for the mat.

I got mine in Asia market on Drury st two weeks ago for 1.75. It was in the aisle beside the freezers that has the Japanese products, tucked on the bottom shelf. They have them in oriental emporium on Jervis too, the the aisle with the soy sauce right at the front end of the shop where they also have the wasabi etc. I'm sure if you asked someone there they'd dig one out for you anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I think AYA behind Brown Thomas on Grafton St. also sell rolling mats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Lemming wrote:
    I think AYA behind Brown Thomas on Grafton St. also sell rolling mats

Aya definitely do, I got one there last week, and some nori sheets and some rice wine vinegar and sushi rice, all while I was sorting my pocky addiction :o

eefy wrote:
    I tried making sushi a couple of times, total disaster, the rice just didn't turn out right.
    I seemed like far too much hassle.

A few bits of the ritual that is worth it to remember:

- Rinse the rice a good 4-5 times before boiling it
    - After you mix in the vinegar/sugar/rice, cover the pan with a cloth and let is sit for a while. 20 minutes if I am not mistaken should be enough (anyone?)
    - Make sure you are using the right rice

It actually is not that much work once you get the hang of it. It is great as a party snack also. They will gobble it up as fast as you can make it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Thanks for that - I was in the Asia Market last week - guess I was looking in the wrong place, I was looking in the area at the where all the woks and kitchen stuff is. will have a look this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

On another note - those who have made or attempted to make sushi - how did it turn out. I have book with all the recipes and you have to be extra specially careful with the rice- it takes a while.

thanks for all your replies regarding the sushi mat

Advertisement