Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a mySQL guru to rescue my site

Options
  • 05-05-2006 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I company I recruited on elance built a sports database for one of my websites, but somewhere along the line they lost interest and now I'm fairly high and dry o n the project.

The dbs are built but the some of the code needs debugging as far as I can see.

Anybody here interested in tidying up this mini mess for me...and then possibly taking on some of the updgrade work down the line?

Please PM me for further details.

Cheers
    Neil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Tbh it would probably be easier for someone else to start from scratch. Although at least you've a site spec and a potential db schema. But as the project has been abandoned it would be risky to assume the db schema is right. Perhaps they made poor design choices and that's why the rest of the work ground to a halt. So it might need some work.

But mainly, trying to pick up unfinished code is a time-consuming nightmare, and it too could have fundamental design errors requiring extensive modification. Why spend time on a potentially fruitless exercise. At least starting from scratch the new developer can have confidence in what can be delivered and when.

I'm not looking for the job but if someone pm's you and suggests starting from scratch, I'd give them a fair hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Thanks for the advice.

The db was actually working ok, but when I asked for a few enhancements it kind of fell assunder.

I'm open to all suggestions as to how to ressurect the data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

If you are after a copy of the data and you can't get it using the site itself due to the buggy code:
    log onto the control panel for the site - there may be an option to make a dump of the database. You can then download that using an ftp program like filezilla, or the control panel may have built in ftp.

If that fails mysql and other databases have command line options to dump, assuming you have telnet access and adequate permissions.

If this all sounds too technical it might be task 1 for whoever fixes it: get you a copy of the data in case anything else goes wrong and it's lost. (outside the box idea - archive.org might have old copies of your site, if at any stage the data was just listed on pages it might all be sitting there)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Thanks, I managed to get a db dump through hosting control panel

Advertisement