Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI contributions refund?

Options
  • 05-05-2006 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Is it true that you can claim PRSI back if you only partially worked in a year? I have been told this by a good source recently , and been given this template to send in. Can anyone confirm this, because it would be worth quite a bit to me.
    thanks

XXXXXXXX,
    XXXXXXXX,
    XXXXXXXXXX,
    XXXXXXXXXXX,
    XXXXXXX,
    XXXXXXX.

Strictly Private & Confidential
    PRSI Refund Section,
    Floor 3,
    Oisin House,
    212/213 Pearse Street,
    Dublin 2.

Dear Sir
    PRSI Refund – Mr XXXX XXXXX (PPS Number XXXXXXXX)
    Further to my recent conversation with a member of your Department, I wish to apply for a refund of my PRSI contributions. I have set out the details relating to the periods of employment where I only worked a partial year.
    Period One: September 2004 – current date (hence for the calendar year 2004 I only worked a partial year);
    Period Two: January 2003 – August 2003.
    I have included my PPS number above in order for you to identify the years in which I made PRSI contributions. If you require any further details please let me know. My contact telephone number is XXX XXXXXXX
    Yours faithfully

XXXX XXXXXXXX

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NaasMan

PRSI is not like tax, it you have earnings in a PRSI week, you calculate PRSI based on those earnings. You can not spread them over a year in order to avail of PRSI exemptions etc. As such, I can not see how you could qualify for a refund just by not working. You should however check the the correct amount of PRSI was deducted in the first place, If you have overpaid you will be entitled to a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

I can't remember the exact figures for previous years but in 2005, if in any week your gross wage was over €400, you would be paying a 2% Health Contribution on the full amount (ie. at least €8) as part of your weekly PRSI. But if at the end of the year your annual gross wage was under €20,800 (400 x 52), you would be entitled to a refund of all these little 2% contributions, which would be a possible maximum of €416. These figures would be slightly lower for 2004 and 2003.

As in NaasMan's post, the 4% Social Insurance part of your PRSI would be non-refundable unless there was some overpayment error.

Advertisement