Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the Irish go metric?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I always think and use Metric, It is hard as my parents use imperial as do alot of other people I know and interact with. One thing I like is I have noticed that alot of Construction workers I have interacted with recently are now using Metric only. I know a rather old guy (for heavy construction) aged 55 This guy is a die hard Imperial, I asked him why he was measuring in metric, his answer, "the fe*kers won't accept inches" Some hardware stores are now gone Metric only and it is great as it will force out Imperial for good and it will be no loss.

Last summer I was asked in America (New York) by an American how far the nearest gas station was as he was running low (apparently I look American :rolleyes: ) Anyway I said there is a Sonoco (US brand) about 2 Kilometres up the block, he looked at me all confused and said "you are not from around here are you?" "The Greatest Nation on Earth" :confused: and they still use Imperial, and not even British Imperial they have to go and confuse things further with Standard American. I'd say they couldn't handle the Metric System. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

netwhizkid wrote:
    "The Greatest Nation on Earth" :confused: and they still use Imperial, and not even British Imperial they have to go and confuse things further with Standard American. I'd say they couldn't handle the Metric System. :D

But those damn Yanks sent men to the moon in Imperial! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

I use a measuring tape every working day of the week.
    When I am hanging a radiator I might use inches ,or it might be handier to use centimeters.
    When I order a myson radiator I order it in inches and when I order a stelrad I order it in MM.

When I'm calculating the heat requirement of a room on my wheel I use feet.
    When I measure the size of an apartment I do it in Sq. metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

this is why we should pick one:

nasa was building something (can't remember what) in collaberation with the europeans. the europeans sent over some specs that had no units on them. the americans assumed inches. it was an expensive mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I try my best to think in metric but when it comes to speed in a car I still use mph. I think this is a generational thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

this is why we should pick one:

nasa was building something (can't remember what) in collaberation with the europeans. the europeans sent over some specs that had no units on them. the americans assumed inches. it was an expensive mistake

Yes this actually did happen, twice I think :rolleyes: This shows a mishap that happened within the US itself. A $125Million mishap to be exact. Something similar also happened when the Europeans sent over some measurements too I think, as Commander Vimes said. I can't find a link though.

Advertisement