Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what technology do daft.ie use ?

Options
  • 05-05-2006 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I notice the file names on daft pages are index.daft etc. and they have the whole sql statement in the address bar.

The site seems very quick and efficent. Any ideas what languages they use to code in and what db's they run ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

You can create your own extension (in IIS anyway) and just point them to a parser of your choice. So you could create .daft pages using asp / php whatever.

As for what SQL to use, there are many chices out there MS SQL, MySQl etc. so it's up to you to decide. Coding the application correctly is a big factor in the speed of the appl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Well, the use linux, so I guess it's apache with the PHP extension changed to "daft".

It's been like this since they were young(er) lads, so I guess it was a cool thing to do :)

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=www.daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In theory it's safer - it makes it more difficult to footprint the server and find out what language you're using and what version, etc etc. Unless it's a bot though, someone could easily force it a bit to find out.

In terms of speed, well it could be a few things. The engine is simple. It's basic database stuff, so it could easily be tweaked, and doesn't tax the server too much. They also seem to be economic on Javascript/DHTML and other dynamic elements, which can improve page rendering speed.

They also have a ****wad of money backing them up, so they're probably operating off some serious hardware, and possibly a serious cluster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

Actually they're still hosted on a shared server :eek: Or at least they were about 6 months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Daft haven't been on a shared server for many years.

• Advertisement

Mary McAleese is really an alien.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mary McAleese is really an alien.
    and your proof is?

Sposs wrote:
    Daft haven't been on a shared server for many years.

And your proof is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

And your proof is?
    And your proof is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

holy **** the thread just recursed into itself and exploded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

DAFT runs off a LAMP set up.

They've been on a dedicated server set up for a good few years now - even their last shared set up was almost dedicated in so far as the server only had a few other brochureware sites on it sharing with them. I think it was on their last shared set up that they began to use custom PHP suffixes.

With the amount of traffic that it gets and has been getting for a good few years now, I'm surprised that anyone would believe that it would be on shared hosting.

Maybe it was just me then. I remember doing a WHOIS search and Daft showed up on ns1.hosting365.ie... whereas I thought it should show up on rack1.hosting365.ie or some such if it was on a dedicated server. Perhaps I'm ever so slightly confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

more than likely they've parked there domain with hosting365 to use there nameservers and point there 'a' records at the servers IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The nameservers are irrelevant.

Anyone I know with a dedicated server with H365, the nameserver is rackn.rack365.ie or some such and anyone on a shared a/c, the nameserver is nsn.h365.ie... just drew a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Perhaps they started on a shared server, using the normal nameservers. Then decided to go dedicated - but instead of having to change nameservers they just changed A records to point to the dedicated IP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Your nameservers at H365 can be whatever you want (as long as you know what you're doing.) For example, mine are *.hostago.com.

The nameserver thing really tells you nothing... (or very little, at least.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

i have heard that its the new trend but that Google, ask jeeves and MSN are all picking up the technology name wrong on account of their spiders instincts. Is this true?

Advertisement