Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Regular Car Imports

Options
  • 05-05-2006 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I am thinking of Importing cars over from the uk on a regular basis to make a bit of dosh as an aside from my day job. I've been reading on Robertr's initial sticky which is very informative. What I'm hoping to do I import a car over twice monthly if feasible depending on money and time. What I am concerned about is the profit margin when I come back over to Ireland and if it will be worth it in the end.

From reading the sticky on Uk car imports I got the impression that the safest bet is to buy a second hand 3/4 year old Audi/BMW from a proper car dealer in the UK. Hopefully after checking the car fully the car should be up to scratch to import back.

When arriving back into Ireland though I am unsure of what is the best way to sell the car. As I am hoping to make this a regular thing I would like to sell the car ASAP as I would only have 2/3 days to sell it before going back to the UK again. I know I would make a better profit selling the car privately but what is the quickest way to sell a car without having the hassle of posting it up on autotrader.ie and then wait for replies which could take weeks/months?

Is it possible to make a profit from selling a uk import directly to a car dealer in ireland or is there any other way to sell a car to make a profit in the least amount of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

When arriving back into Ireland though I am unsure of what is the best way to sell the car. As I am hoping to make this a regular thing I would like to sell the car ASAP as I would only have 2/3 days to sell it before going back to the UK again. I know I would make a better profit selling the car privately but what is the quickest way to sell a car without having the hassle of posting it up on autotrader.ie and then wait for replies which could take weeks/months?

Is it possible to make a profit from selling a uk import directly to a car dealer in ireland or is there any other way to sell a car to make a profit in the least amount of time?

I can't see why a dealer over here would want another middleman that will reduce his profit margin.

Private sales rarely happen in a few days, even if the car is desirable and well priced. Even in a good scenario, someone may see your advert after a couple of days, arrange to see the car in a couple of days time, if s/he likes it then they may have to arrange insurance, bank loan, price the VRT etc. This could easily take a good bit of time.

This would take some advertising, but what about if you look into sourcing cars in the UK upon demand? If I hadn't needed to trade in my old car, I would have been interested in someone getting me a UK car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. There are certainly savings to be made by importing certain cars from britian, selling them on quickly is the tricky bit. I've sold 2 cars privately, both to the first person who viewed them, one went in just over a week but the other took months. Trying to sell a car in 2/3 days is crazy, you simply can't plan for such things. Dealers can set sales targets because they have a broad selection and only expect to shift a fraction of their stock each month, working throughout the month, you're planning on shifting 100% of your stock in a 2 - 3 day window each month. The best way to do something like this would be to bring something over as your daily driver, advertise it for sale and when it sells, do it again. If you concentrate on one particular model which is in demand, you may, over time, be able to build a reputation that will bring people to you looking that make/model and increase the frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I am thinking of Importing cars over from the uk on a regular basis to make a bit of dosh as an aside from my day job.

Believe me this thought has crossed my mind manies a time. As the guys suggest , probably the best thing to do is either import on demand after receiving an order and deposit or import and drive yourself while you have for sale.

Why not import? Most of the car dealers are at it now anyway especially the medium - small dealers.

Advertisement