Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java App Server

Options
  • 05-05-2006 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good open source app server for java I have tried IBM Web Sphere but I cant get my database connection set-up inside it, I'm using MS Sql server.

Is Jboss any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Nothing wrong with Jboss at all.. Been using it for years now and have loads of production systems running on it. Always use it unless the client is an IBM shop and want to use WebSphere, which is a pain to use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 NoizeNoize

In my opinion JBoss is pretty nice application server. You can also try BEA WebLogic Server which is free of charge for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Try Apache too - there's the good old App server, plus Tomcat and Geronimo J2EE servers plus Derby, the DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

If your learning how to write J2EE apps, then Sun's App server might be worth looking at. They bundle the jvm, app server, & netbeans (ide) and include a bunch of tutorials.

Otherwise, I'd say JBoss is a good opensource one to learn, and WebSphere is a good one to know if your going to work for a big business with tonnes of cash. What trouble do U have setting up the DB connection? I never configure WebSphere with MS SQL Server, but with both DB2 & Oracle you need the jdbc jar with the drivers. Have you though about using a different DB, such as MySql or Postgres?

Advertisement