Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Collecting it tomorrow.

Options
  • 05-05-2006 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Ok so i made the decision that no matter what happens this car is mine.

It's a 99' Seat Toledo, 1.9 TDI. Metallica Green, Alloys, 6 CD- Changer.

The fella says he wouldn't waste my trip, lovely clean car, he's valeting it and a mechanic is looking at it now. He said the NCT is up in a month, there is a service history on it. 123k Miles on the clock.

He said there is a dimple in the drivers side dorr and some tiny scratches on the car in general, but it's nice. Cream and black interior. He's changin the oil and air filters and checking the timing belt. He said the tyres are good.

he's offering a 3month engine and gearbox warrenty.

Going to see it tomorrow (3 hr drive) and i want to know what i should be checking before bringing her off home.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Epicpriest wrote:
    123k Miles on the clock.
    Fairly high mileage. What price is it.
    Epicpriest wrote:
    Ask for a 6 month warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

123k isn't all that high for a diesel. Definately do try to squeeze a longer warranty out of him. I haggled the dealer into giving me a 12 month warranty when I bought my car last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Epicpriest wrote:
    Be very careful with that.
    It could be interpreted to mean just the parts - which are cheap relative to labour, and even then it won't include the particular part that needs replacing.

Try and get a full 'parts and labour' warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

123k is not alot for a diesel engine, however you should look at the bigger picture in that all the other car parts have also gone 123k, the suspension, shocks, gear box and clutch would be the big worries depending on how and on what roads it was driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Epicpriest wrote:
    Ok so i made the decision that no matter what happens this car is mine.

For starters, never decide to buy a car you haven't yet seen. How much is he selling the car for? I ask because I'm selling a 00 one with 64,000 miles and an NCT to 01/08 for €6,950.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

For a '99 its alot of mileage. I have a '94 car and it only has 20,000 more.

Just that if you wanted to sell it in a couple of years the mileage would be a major drawback to any prospective seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's less than 12,000 miles per year on yours, which would be very low indeed for a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

If the timing belt hasn't been changed for the second time make sure he does it. It needs to be changed on them every 60,000 miles, and its not enough to 'check' it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Please never view a car thinking I am going to buy this. never, always think there is no way I am buying this car, never bring money with you. Don't beleive a word anyone tells you over the phone.

Advertisement