Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thelonious Who?

• 05-05-2006 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Heard this strory a couple of days ago on the radio,

Record Store owner employs a new fellow in his store, after a week or so he asks his new employee to reorganise the jazz section of this store ensuring all the proper cds are under the correct artist and that theres a tab for each musician, so off he goes.

The owner is then filtering through his library making sure everything is in order, then he stumbles across a tab for a new artist,
    The Lonliest Monk?!

Needless to say the guy isn't working there anymore! :D

Aren't jazz stories great?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

He got fired for that? A bit harsh, don't you think?

How did he come up with the Lonliest Monk...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Lmao, where'd you hear that?
    It'd be great to work in a Jazz record store, I think I'll try and take that guy's job in Tower Records Jazz Section... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Years ago when HMV first opened in Grafton Street my Da went in for a browse (this is when the only alternative was Golden Dicks, remember!). Asked the guy if they'd anything by Count Basie and got 'Count who?', walked out, back to his office, rang the manager and told him he wouldn't be back 'til the guy was gone.

I thought he was a bollix at the time, but I kinda understand better now... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I loves the lonliest monk!

Many moons ago i used to work in a bookshop on Dawson Street, and the odd time someone would approach me to ask about a book that i hand never heard of. They would then get all indignant because i didn't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the 100,000 titles in the store or memory like a Rainman type idiot savant. Their reaction was generally as if I had just told them that they had a face like a bag of spits. Like books, there are too many artists out there to know them all. A bit harsh giving someone the sack because of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Think it was on Lyric Fm.
    Dont think the guy got fired just for that, twould be harsh alright (unless it was a jazz record store, then he surely got his comeupins! :D)

Yeah id love to work in a record store too, they're always really hard jobs to get though and the people who get em usually know shít all about whatever music they're meant to be covering. Guy i know works in Galway's only good record store (mulligens) he got the job cause his dad used to work there BUT MY DAD USED TO WORK THERE!!!!:(
    ah well... should have applied ! :p

Of course its impossible to know everything but you could have at least made the effort to know all the books that were in your shop fanny! Or just do the old age tradition af telling them that you're "going to have a check in the back" only to walk to the stock room, have a seat and walk back out in 5 minutes empty handed :D

As long as people dont get all pissy at you for liking some 'obscure crazy jazz crap' then i dont really care if they dont know who they are.... as long as they then make the effort to find out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

the loneliest monk

I like that. I can feel a song about him already.

thanks for sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

I loves the lonliest monk!
    They would then get all indignant because i didn't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the 100,000 titles in the store or memory like a Rainman type idiot savant. Their reaction was generally as if I had just told them that they had a face like a bag of spits.

LMAO.

You are dead right. While people who work in shops should have a decent degree of what they are selling, they can't know everything....... it's always the ignorant pseudointellectuals who are ar*sey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I went into waltons on georges st. one day, and asked a chap behind the counter what kind of woodwinds he had on offer. He asked me if I had a specific one in mind, and I said saxaphone.

I swear, he looked at me as if I had two heads, and said "sure thats not woodwind, thats brass!".

I can understand this being a common mistake, we all have to learn some way, but it was the way he said it to me, as if I was the ignorant one.

I have to say, I've had this kind of attitude off Waltons staff before, so the only time I go there is when I feel like playing piano. :)

Oh, and I didn't correct him.

Advertisement