Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble connecting to network camera

Options
  • 05-05-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Lo folks, I'm having some issues with a network camera I bought recently.
    Basically I can't connect to it over the internet.
    I can connect to it OK if I put in it's local IP address into IE - 192.168.1.13 on port 3000
    However, if I try to connect via http://mycurrentexternaliIP:3000 I get a 'server not found' message.
    I'm on esats ZyXEL P623R-T1 modem/router, which feeds into a bog standard switch.
    I've used NAT SUA to forward port 3000 to the cameras IP (192.168.1.13), all other settings on esats modem/router are left unchanged from default
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Do BT do any port blocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Hi Dre,

Looks like a great camera, thinking of getting one myself.

Have you checked the firewall settings if any on your router?? Also what about any software firewalls on your computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Got it sorted. There was some check box about preventing access to the router from the WAN. My brother in Germany was able to connect to it after I unchecked this.
    I didn't realise my external IP would change as frequently as it seems to! (several times a day) May have to look at the DDNS thingy.
    Also will have to find some way of accessing the port through works firewall :p
    Maybe I'll find a usable port through trial and error.

The camera is indeed fantastic, they are very expensive though - I just got a good deal for a BNIB off ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

You are outside your LAN when you tru to connect to http://mycurrentexternaliIP:3000 , right?

Its not going to work if you are trying to go "out and back" through the router.

To test the camera using the external address, you could temporarily connect your PC via dial-up instead of the LAN or get someone else to test it from their connection. (E.g.: You can access eircom dialup on 1892150150, using username "eircom" and password "eircom")

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Ah, our posts overlapped.

Two additional comments:
    - Check your documentation and make sure that you have not just allowed everyone to manage your router remotely. That's normally what they mean by preventing access to the router from the WAN.
    - You should definitely use one of the DDNS services. I use www.dyndns.org, its free and never had a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

iano wrote:
    ...make sure that you have not just allowed everyone to manage your router remotely. That's normally what they mean by preventing access to the router from the WAN.
    Yup, that's what I ended up doing alright - I can now control my router from work. I obviously didn't leave the default user and pass for the modem/router when I got it - so I'm just gonna have to see how that goes.

Advertisement